Federal Small Rifle Primer brass for 6.5 Creedmoor

NamibHunter

Desert hunter
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Picked up an FC case at the range that turned out to be SRP brass. Was not aware Federal made small rifle primer brass. Or are they getting it from Starline or Peterson?

Has anybody tried to reload with these cases? How wide was the weight variation from one box of factory ammo? ES results are good?

Midway sells a lot of Federal loaded ammo but does not sell new brass for reloading from Federal. Presume the only option is buying factory ammo.

DC4F4737-0829-4A5C-B1EC-9EC94F1AC405.jpeg

The ones I picked up are within 2grs in weight. I get single digit ES with 142SMK and H4350.

Thanks for replying!

Just to repeat back to make sure i understood correctly: You are reloading Federal SRP brass and getting single digit ES for small sample size (5 rounds during ladder testing).

Or did you mean 50 rounds from a long string of fire, all loaded the same? I tend to get low ES for small samples for load development, sometimes as low as 2 or 3 fps, but ES goes into the mid to high 20’s for 30 to 50 round strings.

Can get a little frustrating at times, when that one round takes your ES from 23 to 36 fps.

Just curious if Federal makes their own SRP brass in-house, or if they buy it from another company.

Thanks for replying!

Just to repeat back to make sure i understood correctly: You are reloading Federal SRP brass and getting single digit ES for small sample size (5 rounds during ladder testing).

Or did you mean 50 rounds from a long string of fire, all loaded the same? I tend to get low ES for small samples for load development, sometimes as low as 2 or 3 fps, but ES goes into the mid to high 20’s for 30 to 50 round strings.

Can get a little frustrating at times, when that one round takes your ES from 23 to 36 fps.

Just curious if Federal makes their own SRP brass in-house, or if they buy it from another company.

I don’t chrono 50 shot strings. I do pay attention to velocity when fine tuning. This particular load has done 2680 FPS consistently over several range sessions. It’s within 2675-2685 all the time.

I found this brass in the trash earlier this year. It’s soft. Some of the pp were loose after one firing. The ones with tight pp have remained tight with this load through three firing cycles. I dunno how hot Federal loads this brass.

Reactions: NamibHunter
That might be your post time.

View attachment 7990926
Now I am totally confused....

IS TxWelder35 a ghost from the past, or did he just answer me?

Being a newbee, I'm a bit unclear on dates and times that are showing up in a member's post. I'm 76, so some of this is not registering...

I am looking for FEDERAL small primer 6.5 Creedmoor that I can convert to 8.6 Blackout. I also have a Creedmoor, but this brass is for the Blackout. I prefer small primer for BOTH Creedmoor and Blackout, and have extra large primer brass that I don't need.

This is my 8.6 Blackout. Lower is an 80% AR-10 I did on my mill.

1667621556791.png

Reactions: whatsupdoc
Now I am totally confused....

IS TxWelder35 a ghost from the past, or did he just answer me?

Being a newbee, I'm a bit unclear on dates and times that are showing up in a member's post. I'm 76, so some of this is not registering...

I am looking for FEDERAL small primer 6.5 Creedmoor that I can convert to 8.6 Blackout. I also have a Creedmoor, but this brass is for the Blackout. I prefer small primer for BOTH Creedmoor and Blackout, and have extra large primer brass that I don't need.

This is my 8.6 Blackout. Lower is an 80% AR-10 I did on my mill.

View attachment 7991643
That post was 2 years ago. It’s long gone bubba.

Try Peterson or Alpha for small primer brass that you can neck up. It’ll be better quality than FC.

That post was 2 years ago. It’s long gone bubba.

Try Peterson or Alpha for small primer brass that you can neck up. It’ll be better quality than FC.
I get what you are saying. I have a hundred rounds that I am using, and I like to keep the same brand of brass so that I don't have to sort. The Federal brass is working fine for me, I just needed more of it. I did figure out hovering over the "Yesterday" gives me a date. Thanks for the reply.