• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Few basic/newbie questions about rifle selection

I'm wanting to pick up a trainer and have pretty much decided on either the sako quad or CZ 452. But I was wondering a few things first.

How important is it with a small rimfire to have a free floating barrel?

Do you need to worry about the scope ever comming loose like on the big calibers or can you be more lax with that?

Is the .17's worth the extra cost of ammo, or would the .22 offer plenty to the novice shooter to learn from?

Thanks and if you have any other points that I missed that you feel should be addressed, please tell me. Thanks again!

Re: Few basic/newbie questions about rifle selection

It Depends.

Some rifles like a pad at the end of the forestock, some are fully bedded, most are free-floated (or are meant to be).

Can you be lax with optics mount? NO.
There is not as much recoil, true. The recurring vibrations will loosen parts for mounts/rings and allow movement if not installed and torqued properly. No you don't need a big picatinny style rail and cross-bolts, but you can't be "lax" either.

Get the .22 (First) then if you want a .17 go for it. Also if you want a .17 do the HMR. You can get good quality .22 for half the cost of .17HMR. You can get excellent .22 ammo for the same cost as .17HMR.

Deffinatly go for the 22LR...the 17HMR and HM2 are very affected by wind and in my experiance the 17's are only for paper and vermin. The 22 will be able to be used on Grouse if you wish or any thing hunting that you don't want to explode.

I had a 17HMR and shot a blue grouse around 80 yards and there was one half of it left...and blue are fairly big! Also shot a medium racoon with it at 6 feet and the damn thing just spit up lung ans it took 3 shots....seen the 22LR take racoons with one shot many times....to mee unless it is a prarrie dog or paper the 17HMR is a waste.

THe CZ is spades cheaper isn't it? That would leave more cash for glass? Also the Cabelas flyer came out recently with M700 223's for $360.....Lacey isn't that far! Hell if I had cash I would go buy 2 and part them out for profit!

Interesting. I thought the design of the .17 would yield better ballistics, especially down range. .22 is cheap and plentiful, I'll stick with it. I've seen M700's of different calibre at wal-mart for just under $500. I don't think I've seen a heavy barrel model though. So, CZ it is - any advice on entry-level scope for the CZ?

Look at the center fire bullets...the heavier are generally used for the ELR because they retain the energy at distance...less effected by wind and gravity because they retain their momentum...different application but think of how a Honda Ricer can stop very quick because it doesn't weigh anything...then look at a loaded tractor trailer weighing 105,000 lbs...alot longer to stop the momentum. Also if a side wind pushes against either one the Honda will go all over and the truck/trailer will not.

If the 17 came in any other bullet than the 17gr I would re-consider them but they don't yet.

The 223 at Cabelas is a youth sporter but it is reloadable and uprgadeable also...it is more expensive than the 22LR but it also can go a lot further distance accuratly.

I have a Nikon 4.5-14x40 Mildot reticle scope on my 10/22....I have yet to fire it (waiting on my base) but I have one of those scopes on my 270WSM and love it....for under $300 it is very tough to beat...I don't think you can get a better scope for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aer454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome post, thank you! Any other recommendations on rifle, outside Sako quad or CZ 452? </div></div>

Have you looked into the Savage Mark II-BTV? I picked one of these up for my son's Christmas present this year. I was going to get myself one but decided I better stick with my Savage Mark II-FVT since I have it all set up the way I'll be setting my son's new rifle up - (20 MOA EGW Base, 6-24x42 Mil-Dot Scope, Sling & Bipod.) Thought I better wait awhile on my new MK II-BVT to let the bank account recover a bit.

Here are some links you might enjoy looking at;

http://www.savagearms.com/markiibtv.htm

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/gear/shooting/2008/06/gun-test-08?photo=6#41789783

I'll admit, I'm drooling over the day I can get one of these for myself.
smile.gif

Can't go wrong with the CZ. I don't know anything about the Sako Quad. Sako builds quality so I'm sure they are very good. If the cost is much more than the CZ, then you will want to throw the Anschutz into the mix of options.
Joe is right, you should consider the Savage depending on the kind of shooting you intend to do.
I think I see one of those new Savages due out in 2010 in my future.
As for the Nikon scope, a buddy had one that shook apart from recoil (not on a .22); and I see way too many of them on the "factory rebuild" discount sale for me to be interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Kabong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It Depends.

Some rifles like a pad at the end of the forestock, some are fully bedded, most are free-floated (or are meant to be).

Can you be lax with optics mount? NO.
There is not as much recoil, true. The recurring vibrations will loosen parts for mounts/rings and allow movement if not installed and torqued properly. No you don't need a big picatinny style rail and cross-bolts, but you can't be "lax" either.

Get the .22 (First) then if you want a .17 go for it. Also if you want a .17 do the HMR. You can get good quality .22 for half the cost of .17HMR. You can get excellent .22 ammo for the same cost as .17HMR. </div></div>

Right on. Though, and this should be noted, that even great quality .22 ammo with a great .22 will NOT get you the same kinds of very impressive results that even a modest 17 HMR will get you. The 17 is that good (for a rimfire). Out until about 150 yards, it does what one would expect a centerfire to do.

I have my Savage 17 HMR zeroed at 50 yards. The bullet drop at 100 is .1" (1/10"). You should be able to group inside of a dime at 100 yards, and you should be able to hunt with it out to about 175 or perhaps 200 yards if the prey is small enough (ground hogs, squirrels, etc).

But definitely start with a .22. It's cheap to shoot, and will teach you everything you need to know.

And absolutely without question look at the Savages. They are inexpensive, and produce very impressive results.

i like the savage, i have and shoot the piss out of it. however, if i had to do it over again, had a few extra bucks in my pocket, and had the rimfire knowledge i have now back then, i would have bought the CZ.

seems to shoot a wider variety of ammo, feels more like a centerfire, and from the cz's i've shot, a little more accurate...and that's coming from a HUGE savage fan.

nothing wrong with the savages, just that IMHO the cz offers a bit more for a bit more $.

i'd stay 22lr.

don't skimp too much on optics. once you get addicted with the economical rimfire and start shooting more and more, you'll appreciate a decent to good glass on top for your "viewing pleasure". plus if you start shooting longer distances, good repeatable turrets are helpfull.

this should keep you busy while we're at it...

22 scope+ mounts+rings threads

22 ammo threads

22 rifle accessories