• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Fieldcraft FFP

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Southern Indiana
www.8541tactical.com
IMG_0376.jpg

From the school I just attended. This was one of the few days it wasn't pouring rain.

Re: FFP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should support the rifle further forward as you create a pivot point that magnifies barrel movement when you support in the middle.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thanks for the tip. This was taken while we were still observing. I was running the rifle that far forward so that it balanced easily (still haven't gotten our DCLW tripod). I did find that for longer shots if I pull the rifle back, support it behind the bipod then anchor the butt with my support hand into the pocket of my shoulder I can get a pretty good position. IIRC on this one I was able to drop my elbows onto my knees. I readjusted a couple times because they kept moving the targets on us. Badguys don't stand still ya know?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lw,

watcha got goin on there for an ARD?
just curious </div></div>

that is one of those high speed low drag "official" Marine Corps riggers tape ARDs. Just throw a piece of tape across the objective. Make some parallel cuts, then pinch them together. It works extremely well, costs nothing and doesn't hurt you too much in low light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lw,

watcha got goin on there for an ARD?
just curious </div></div>

that is one of those high speed low drag "official" Marine Corps riggers tape ARDs. Just throw a piece of tape across the objective. Make some parallel cuts, then pinch them together. It works extremely well, costs nothing and doesn't hurt you too much in low light. </div></div>

thanks. it is tough to see for sure what it was. ever try a panty hose footy. works good-costs me.....i have no idea. isteal them from the ol' lady.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hibc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a member of the Motley Crue </div></div>

tactical eyeshadow, chicks dig it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ever try a panty hose footy. works good-costs me.....i have no idea. isteal them from the ol' lady.
grin.gif
</div></div>

it has been suggested to me before, but I can't see how it would not reduce the clarity of your optic. My partner uses some mesh and seems to like it, but I don't see any advantages over the riggers tape. The riggers tape method also brevents you from having the big circle effect.

stick one on and try it. only takes a second and pulls right back off.
wink.gif

eta: your way works just fine too just throwing out another option. you may find yourself in an urban hide in victorias secret and forgot your tape.
smile.gif

your face is to exposed, the whiteness of your skin is a target indicator, a simple rule to follow is your veil should extend enough to cover the top of your scope about 3/4 of the way to cover your hands and break up some of the rifles outline; your assault pack is brighter than the ground so if not hidden by an alley properly another target indicator, always veg and jute your drag bags; you don't have any concealment on your front chest, top and front of arms; your scope cover's roundness sticking out is another target indicator, take it off and use a veil type webbing, this enables you to 1 break up the outline of the total scope 2 tie veg and jut to it and 3 don't worry about seeing through it because the magnification of your scope will burn through it; but the biggest roblem i see here and most people don't realize is that the ghillie suit is base for vegetation, jute is to fill in gaps, the goden rule taught is that at least go 60-65% natural veg and the rest just, and always be prepared to stop and reveg after every mvement because your terrains color and natural vegetation change

LOL. You post a picture online and you invite every type of remark that is possible, despite have flashed your creds a time or two. You gotta admit, that is a big old pink face glowing amidst the greens and browns. The fall rule is the same as that of composts: 1 green to 3 browns. And what kind of thrashing have you given the immediate area? Did you bear crawl all over it before you started glassin? LOL - keep up the good work.

Drop me a line if you have to depend on walmart much longer for your tripod. Semper Fi.

Learning from others - that's why we're hear. LW - thanks for having the BALLS to post YOUR photo and stick it out there and popeye -thanks for your observations and imput.

Yes, this was Atterbury.

I should have reapplied my mascara, but I hadn't realized I had sweated that much off until I looked at the pic.

Popeye....thanks for the tips.... you know I am brand new to this, I mean I only graduated from the basic school a decade ago
wink.gif

The area was already smashed down prior to us moving in. This are was well used a couple days prior. There was sign everywhere. I did have veg in the ghille on the back and in my veil. My window was tight enough that I didn't feel the need to turn the veil around. You do what you need to do to keep from getting busted, but you still have to accomplish the mission. The nice thing about these schools is that they allow you to push the edge and see what you can get away with when you are being hunted by professionals.

Guys that want to pick apart my camo or position really don't bother me. I know what it takes and how to get the job done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogers0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The above is a view taken from in front of a screen between the shooter in his FFP and the targer. Keep in mind you are going to want 2 or 3 screens in between shooter and target, this is just a view of one. </div></div>

Be careful. Someone will come on here and tell you that you should have smeared cammie paint on the muzzle......

Even though you would be hard pressed to see that from 200 yards away.

BTW, this school made me more of a believer in Multicam. For kicks I did a concealment without Ghillie. Just Multicam BDU's and a boonie. I vegged up the boonie and got a good window setup and had no problem passing the concealment.

One of the advantages of the MOLLE webbing on the A-III is that they can be used to hold natural veg if you want to roll that way. It really all depends on the terrain and the range to the target.

yeah, i'm with you on the multicam, we went full multicam in my section for ghillie's. It blends well with everything, as a base it has so much to offer because bdus were so dark, desert so light, and acus wtvr about acus you know. But if there can be good all round cam this is spot on, the only thing i like more and jealous they have is the Marines's digi are great

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, <span style="color: #FF0000">this school made me more of a believer in Multicam</span>. For kicks I did a concealment without Ghillie. Just Multicam BDU's and a boonie. I vegged up the boonie and got a good window setup and had no problem passing the concealment.

</div></div>

LW,
What about the DigiPrint Marine uni's? Have you, or was anyone at that school, using them and how effective were they? I'm trying to decide between putting a suit together and trying to decide between the Multi's or the MC Digi's. Thanks ya'll. PM me if you'd like, not trying to hijack your thread.
smile.gif

A I saw some Digital Woodland on some of the guys a couple times. One had his Ghillie built on a Digital Woodland top.

It seems to work OK, but it's darker than the Multicam. They chose not to push the limits so I can't tell you if it worked better than Multicam.

When woodland pattern was the norm we used faded woodland utilities in the field. They seemed to blend a little better until they faded to "snow camo" color. When I first started to use the Multicam I noticed that it looked more like faded woodland that anything else I had seen.

When I get around to building a new Ghillie I will use Multicam as the base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful. Someone will come on here and tell you that you should have smeared cammie paint on the muzzle......</div></div>
I LOL'ed. I am several hundred miles away and I can see it. This is why the instruction must be mature. With a good set of glass on a fixed platform, the little, dark dot would pop out to a trained observer, sometimes behind multiple screens...but you have to shoot from somewhere in the zone in front of the OP, narrowing down the eyeballs questions. That said, the mature instructor realizes that when he sees it he is already dead.

I realize there are those here that work with a rifle and the rest of us that play with a rifle - but for those that work, ever sling up while using the tripod as a rest? Or does un-assing the FP mean more?

Also - do you have a fancy head specifically for the purpose of cradling your forearm? Or did you just mount a QD plate to a piece of metal and bent it into a channel with a little sleeping pad and duct tape?

Regardless, good for you and good for your community for the continuing training.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How would you rate the level of shooting skill required by that course? </div></div>

You have to be acquainted with the basics. The qualification course requires that you be able to shoot your cold bore in the T-box of a life sized target. Two shots in the t-box of a reduced head. Three shots into a 3x3" box after a 200 yard run and four shots into a 2" circle. All at 100 yards. (all sizes are approximate since i don't feel like digging the targets out and measuring the scoring zone). The long range portions were not a pass-fail type deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I realize there are those here that work with a rifle and the rest of us that play with a rifle - but for those that work, ever sling up while using the tripod as a rest? Or does un-assing the FP mean more?</div></div>

I have never actually tried slinging up on a tripod. I will have to give that a go tomorrow and see if I get any added stability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also - do you have a fancy head specifically for the purpose of cradling your forearm? Or did you just mount a QD plate to a piece of metal and bent it into a channel with a little sleeping pad and duct tape?</div></div>

Yep, channel and iso mat taped to a QD plate. It's ugly as hell but it's worked so far. I had HOPED that we would have had a DCLW to evaluate at the course, but that didn't happen.

Lonewolf, good stuff and I like to see folks setting up in positions other than prone. I am sure that with the time you spent running and gunning USMC and LE the opportunity to go prone is somewhat limited. I recall very few shots prone while out hunting in the Corps, and not too many as a LEO. I built a very similar cradle and tripods set up for my M40A1 back in the late 80’s and still have it today. I finally got talked into making them for the shooting community and offer them through my company Precision Rifle Solutions . It is certainly an improvement over my original set up which was a block of aluminum billeted into a channel and then a green issue sock for padding all wrapped in 90mph tape.
With ghillies I have always tried to go as light as possible with a patterned set of utilities and my last one was made on the three color desert and the canvas on the front painted with lighter colors to break it up. Getting the ghillie darker with veg is certainly a lot easier than trying to lighten one up that is too dark. I like the multi-cam but have not had an opportunity to work the glass against a class of students wearing it. How do you feel it transitions given changing light? For example the old woodland became a very distinct dark silhouette when the sun was on the horizon or at night.
Be safe out there and let us know how the multi-cam BDU’s work.

Danel

Forty-One,
Yes sir, dogs, criminals and kids eat up most of my time. Finally got a chance at a mental health weekend at Rifles Only and recharged the battery. I have a couple of other things that I am working out in my brain housing group for future offerings from PRS and will run them past you when they are presentable. This is really a small world in which we live.

Happy Birthday!