• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

fire form?????

a question i have and cant find much info on is when resize my case is that getting rid of the fire form to my chamber? this is on a 6.5 grendel if it helps

Re: fire form?????

Really???? Thats because its not a valid question. Think about it really hard....

What do you think "the fire form" (as you put it), is?

ummmmm...................................are you using a full length sizing die? or a neck sizing die? Are you shooting this out of an ar15 platform? Full length sizing is as it sounds, sizes entire case. Neck sizing, your only sizing the neck. If you are new to the reloading game, i am going to assume you are, you are going to wanna do A LOT of reading.

They aren't fire formed anymore if you use a full length sizing die on the cases. Fire formed cases are neck sized if you are looking to maintain the formed dimensions of the case.

If you do a Full length size, your case will no longer be formed to the chamber of your rifle, unless you have a very tight chamber with the same dimensions as your die.

If you have a factory rifle, every time you shoot, the brass expands to fit the chamber. By running it into the SAAMI spec die you will compress the brass back to SAAMI size, which is most likely smaller than your factory chamber since factory chambers are made to tolerances slightly larger to accommodate a variety of ammo without issues.

im am not new to reloading just the first time ive cared about keeping the fire form and thats what i was wondering is if i needed a neck or full resiser thanks for the help to the guys not being smart asses and this is out of an ar platform

Nice punctuation. Im not trying to be a smart ass, but if you are not new to reloading then you should know the answer to this. No one that I know of uses neck sized only brass in a semi auto. That is asking for a feeding problem due to the ability (or lack thereof) of the bolt to close on a piece of brass that is tight in the chamber. That is not an issue in bolt guns where you can force the bolt to close on brass that is tight in the chamber. But I am sure that you already know that since you are not new to reloading......so exactly what was your question again???

the ???? is i cant seem to find just neck sizing dies for the grendel,they are all full length....but its no biggie i didnt relise this was gonna turn into a i know more then you thred thanks though....but i also had the worries about the chambering issuies that you just mentioned as well

Deep breath brother.... these guys are real knowledgeable and will happily help out, your OP was just pretty difficult to decipher. No need for feelings to be hurt here—no real insult intended man.

Sorry you feel that way. The reason you dont see 6.5G neck only dies anywhere you look is that this is typically a chambering in semi auto rifles. According to basic reloading texts (and on up), you need to FL size ammo you are loading to use in semi auto rifles so that you will not have feeding issues. I am sure that you can have Redding, RCBS, etc make you a 6.5G neck sizing only die but in the end you will want to FL size the cases for reasons of feeding reliably.

idk that it would be worth it though like you said the chambering issues in semi auto worries me i can see that if it didnt load the exact way it was formed to it would cause a problem...and no feelings hurt just should have made my first ? more clear

The brass becomes "fire formed" to your chamber when the round goes off.

The only way to maintain the desired fire formed dimensions (primarily shoulder location in the chamber) is to neck size.

Neck sizing for a semi auto is not recommended as it can cause feeding issues.

If you need to go the neck size route Lee will make you a custom collet neck die for a minimal charge. I've never seen a Redding S die for the 7.62 x 39 but if you could find one you could use a neck bushing for a 6.5mm case (260 Remington) with that die.