• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firing Pin dropping with TT trigger

Stag556

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Recently had a neighboring dept swap triggers in their Rem700 actions from factory to TT Primary triggers. According to the pull weight gauge, they are set at 2.5-3lb pull, nothing crazy light.

When running the bolt hard, and when I say hard, I mean similar to a fast follow up bolt cycle, the firing pin will intermittently drop on bolt close. It’s not very common and can’t be repeated with any regularity, but it does happen. And it happens to both rifles.

Reached out to TT and they recommended running an action timing test and cleaning the trigger. The timing test was a failure by their standards.

What else should we be looking at here to see what the cause would be? Actions have a lot of rounds on them so possibly replace the cocking pieces to have fresh cut parts on a new trigger? Appreciate the help in advance.

If the timing testing was a failure, send the actions to LRI to have them fixed up. Or just throw the Rem700s in the trash and buy Origins. It will cost lots more to get the Rem700s fixed so they perform like an Origin out of the box. Been there, done that. Will not do it again.

Recently had a neighboring dept swap triggers in their Rem700 actions from factory to TT Primary triggers. According to the pull weight gauge, they are set at 2.5-3lb pull, nothing crazy light.

When running the bolt hard, and when I say hard, I mean similar to a fast follow up bolt cycle, the firing pin will intermittently drop on bolt close. It’s not very common and can’t be repeated with any regularity, but it does happen. And it happens to both rifles.

Reached out to TT and they recommended running an action timing test and cleaning the trigger. The timing test was a failure by their standards.

What else should we be looking at here to see what the cause would be? Actions have a lot of rounds on them so possibly replace the cocking pieces to have fresh cut parts on a new trigger? Appreciate the help in advance.
Describe the action timing test.

Direct from TriggerTechs email…

ACTION TIMING TEST:
One quick way to test your action's timing would be to follow these steps;

Lift the bolt handle, and pull the bolt to the rear position.
Ensure the trigger is set to the FIRE position.
Push the bolt forward into battery, while keeping the bolt handle in the upward position.
While pressing forward on the back of the bolt body, with the bolt handle in the upward position, pull the trigger and observe if there is any movement in the bolt.

If the bolt jolts forward at all, this showcases poor action timing and will typically cause the issue you are seeing. Please advise with your findings and I would be happy to assist further.

Every trigger tech I’ve used in every action has been able to be made to ride over the top seat if you run it with unnatural speed and force.

Every trigger tech I’ve used in every action has been able to be made to ride over the top seat if you run it with unnatural speed and force.
I’ve had their Diamond triggers in comp guns for years, both single and two stage, and both custom and rem700 actions, and never had that happen. Being dept guns, having the pin drop on bolt close isn’t ideal in the least. Just trying to trouble shoot it since it occurs in two rifles, not just a single rifle, which would most likely indicate a rifle issue, not a trigger issue.

Probably easier to switch to some other trigger than mess with re-timing the actions on a factory R700. Several other good options with more adjustability. It’s the cheapest, least time consuming solution.

Duty guns should be running simple triggers that are forgiving when dirty and used hard.

Would not recommend any action or bolt mods to your factory R700 actions.
Would recommend considering the Timney 510-V2. Only 2 moving parts in the trigger. Mostly enclosed housing to help keep crap out. Very good internal geometry interactions with the set screws so they tend to stay consistent clean or dirty.

I had a call 2 days ago from an agency in Michigan that had 2 guns acting stupid (striker falling as the bolt is closed during a brisk cycle but not all the time) after they put TT's in them 3 months ago.

Work guns should not have to be tweaked to run reliably.

Duty guns should be running simple triggers that are forgiving when dirty and used hard.

Would not recommend any action or bolt mods to your factory R700 actions.
Would recommend considering the Timney 510-V2. Only 2 moving parts in the trigger. Mostly enclosed housing to help keep crap out. Very good internal geometry interactions with the set screws so they tend to stay consistent clean or dirty.

I had a call 2 days ago from an agency in Michigan that had 2 guns acting stupid (striker falling as the bolt is closed during a brisk cycle but not all the time) after they put TT's in them 3 months ago.

Work guns should not have to be tweaked to run reliably.
All good info, thanks. I’ve always had good results with TT in personal guns but I also agree that duty guns should be using ultra reliable components. Our dept utilizes AI rifles so luckily I’ve never had to worry about trigger issues (not saying they are Infallible).

I’ll take your recommendation to them and hopefully get them going again. Thanks.

Reactions: Terry Cross