• New Dangerous Freedom Tee - Out Now!

Available for a limited time. Grab yours now!

Shop now
  • Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support

First build! Stock question.

Lasuras66

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2012
Kentucky
Hey everyone!

After looking through the photo gallery at all of your awesome setups, it pushed me to the decision to build my first long range (300+ yards)rifle.I already have my plans on what I will be doing, already ordered my glass, just need some input from you veterans.

I decided to build off of the Mossberg 100 ATR action in .308, for reasons such as it being affordable for my first build to get into shooting long range, and I have heard good thing about them. Even heard some say the action is comparable to a Remington 700. That just heard through the whispers though, so don't insult me too much. Lol.

My question is, does anyone here know where I can get a better stock than the one that comes with the 100 ATR? I know Boyd's makes the Featherweight Thumb-hole and Prairie Hunter series for it, but I'd like a synthetic stock as I would like something to Duracoat or Cerkote to a fashion of my choosing. Don't get me wrong, the selection Boyd's has look beautiful and I would actually love to have the Featherweight Thumb-hole style, but I want something that will take a beating and like I said before, be able to be at the least duracoated.

Any suggestions or help at all is greatly appreciated!

Re: First build! Stock question.

Well I plan on doing a Rem 700 build when I am done with this one. I'd like to build my first one on a budget, just to try my hand at it and work my way into the Rem 700.

Good luck with after market parts for the 100 ATR. I did a quick search and did not have much luck. There are not alot of parts and what ohers have done seems more expensive than the accuracy that will be yeilded. Like Ballistic said, if you havent purchased the 100 ATR yet consider a diffrent action to start with. Try to find a stock rem 700 sps used. If you own the action already Google and youtube will be your best friend. See what others have done with the gun and what worked. I dont see the final cost being any cheaper than starting with a rem 700 action. Best of luck.

If you havent bought the mossberg, take a look at the savage stevens line of rifles. They're affordable and can use pretty much any Savage aftermarket part that you can find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you havent bought the mossberg, take a look at the savage stevens line of rifles. They're affordable and can use pretty much any Savage aftermarket part that you can find. </div></div>

I have actually been looking at the Savage-Stevens line the past little bit. I would love to save up for a Rem 700 SPS Tactical,but I may go with the Savage-Stevens. I have a three other Savage rifles, and I must say they are nothing but quality rifles and very reliable.

Do not but the Mossberg. Finding parts for a Mossberg will be like finding a needle in a haystack, plus I do not know of an aftermarket stock for the Mossberg. Save yourself the head aches and by a Savage or Remington.

You know, you guys are the Vets and much more experienced at these builds than myself and I'm going to take your word for it. So would the Rem 700 SPS tactical be a good direction to go?

Dude, you have been a member for 2 days, everyone who has replied to your post has said the 700 SPS is the place to start. The 700 action is the base of every version of the whole 700 line, and highly upgradable. Please take some time to read the bolt action thread and you will learn more than you ever thought you want to know.