• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing First Cerakote job...COMPLETED!!! (very pic heavy)

Saito

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
1537 Paper St.
I put a lot of thought into this and decided it was time to act. I love my 1911. I've had 3 different ones in different lengths/configurations. My 5" Warrior is the one that's stayed. Anyhow, it was pretty well used with about 12k rounds through it. The Kimpro finish held up ok. It's been through many recoil springs, a .460 Rowland barrel, a .400 Corbon barrel, 3 extractors, 2 different sets of sights, 3 sets of grips.... Overall it's my favorite pistol. It's been used in IPSC and the only time I had trouble with it is when I tried to "drop in" a Wilson extractor. I learned how to adjust an extractor pretty quickly... 10-8 forums taught me alot about the 1911. Building my own off of a Caspian Ti frame is the next step...

My worn Warrior...
IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

The finish was really starting to come up under the grips...
IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

I detailed stripped it and fitted some new parts. Will list non-stock parts at the end of thread.
Parts to be coated on the left. Only thing not removed was plunger tube, ejector and rear sight..
IMG_0162.jpg

Luckily one of my best friends dad's works for the city and allows us to use the bead blaster on weekends. Here are the parts in the white.
IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

Re: First Cerakote job...COMPLETED!!! (very pic heavy)

Had to split it into 2 posts to get the pics to show up I guess...

It took me a couple months but I picked up an airbrush and pressure reg/moisture trap from TPC global.... 50$ convection oven from Walmart.... Sniper Grey, Graphite Black and Coyote Tan Cerakote from Brownells.... ready to roll...
IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

I'd never used an airbrush before. I owned one when I used to build models in the '90s but never used it because it seemed like too much of a pain in the ass... When I do this again, I'm going to put this stuff on much thicker. I'm pleased for my first time though...
IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

and my two fav's..
IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

There are a couple flaws where it touched the rack in the oven but nothing major... so looking forward to doing this again...

It's got an EGW extractor, ejector, long disconnector, firing pin stop and slide stop. Wilson firing pin. 10-8 extended mag catch, sights, and grips. The trigger and mag well came from another Kimber pistol...... I also picked up some short grip screws from a site that Doc1911 posted a couple weeks ago, thanks Doc!

Re: First Cerakote job...COMPLETED!!! (very pic he

Looks great !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpowers</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sniper grey and graphite black is one of my favorite two tone color combinations.</div></div>

+1

Looks great.
A 1911 was my first coating experience with an air brush, before that I had used Brownells rattle can.
Get one of these and you will throw rocks at that air brush....

http://www.harborfreight.com/hvlp-detail-spray-gun-46719.html

You might need a little larger compressor to run the hvlp gun, but the time it saves you is tremendous and the layers are perfect everytime if you do your part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">need something to cerakote?

looks good man </div></div>

Yeah dude, bring your shit over one of these days! I'm gonna hook one of my .22-250s up with Coyote Tan or Sniper Grey.....I'm really tempted to buy a beadblaster myself now..I'll think about it for a couple months cuz I'm kinda jewish...it'll happen though. We'll have to build an oven to fit actions/stocks etc.

Stillbuster, just the price of that Harbor Freight gun makes me want to throw rocks @ the gun I got from TPC. MF'r was like 160$, Iwata is supposedly good though. My compressor is plenty big!

Great looking job! If I can suggest, you may want to try and rig your rack in the oven to set near the top and try hanging your parts below it with heavy gauge wire. On your small parts take wire with gator clips on it to clamp the screws and other small parts on a non-visable area to hang for curing. Again awesome job and if you get ready to play with some camo patterns check out Bulldog stencils.

Thanks for the heads up on the bulldog stencils! They're probably gonna be the recipient of my $ sometime soon. I just wish I could find the skull pattern that Hydro556 had done by a guy here on the hide last year....can't remember the guys name right now....

I actually used alligator clips and wire pretty extensively for the small parts, didn't hang them underneath, but like I said I used to build models. I stuck the wires in a cardboard box with the parts clipped in to let them air dry for 5min after painting as per the instructions. I'm always down for advice and/or constructive criticism! Thanks again! Anyone else, feel free to add..... well, anything!

Question for you certified Cerakote applicators:

Can I just add a coat over the top of the current coat, or should I bead blast again if I want to touch something up? This stuff should adhere to itself....I'm guessing yes, otherwise I wouldn't be seeing the Cerakoted camo patterns. It recommended a mil thickness, but I wasn't anywhere close to that thickness on this job.

My bad, I didn't look close at the pic of the paint and "regulator" I thought the regulator was one of those itty bitty air brush compressors.
I still use my air brush for doing the inside of actions and detail work but for primary coats you can't beat the hvlp. It is a night and day comparison between the two.
I saw a stencil at an autobody paint shop the other day that has the skull patterns you are talking about.
Like these?
http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksstencil-skull.aspx
They have some other cool stencils:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksstencilgate.aspx

I have never use cerakote, but I would want a rough surface for the new coat to adhere to.

Thanks for the skull patterns hook up! I'm planning on getting an HVLP gun from Harbor Freight for the "bigger" jobs like actions/stocks etc. I'm going to start looking around online for a medium sized blasting cabinet. Thinking about trying a Coyote Tan/Sniper Grey digital camo pattern....anyone seen one like that? Just thinkin....

Nice Job!
There will always be some kind of marks from racking or hanging parts in the oven.
You can use stand offs to support the parts so the marks are in places you cant see and also use small wire s hooks made from coat hangars and such to hang some of the smaller parts.

I see tan and grey there. Planning on doing a camo job on it?

I may give this pistol another coat in the same color, but other than that I'm finished with it. I've got quite a few ARs and rifles that could use a new skin. My oldest .22-250 is a prime candidate for a camo job. Might digitally mix the grey and tan just to see how it turns out. We'll see. I love it when the possibilities seem endless! Only limit is my imagination and pocket book, of course.

I've done the camo over other colors w/ a desert tan and black but I did it almost immediately. If you were to wait like to touch up in a couple months I would probably blast again. The coating by then has been able to absorb oils and waxes from everyday use and holsters. If you look at the finish microscopically it's actually a series of ridges and valleys which make it break up light, but also holds lubrication

Tan and black

IMG_0793.jpg

looks good. i have that same pistol, but mine is labeled a TLE/RL II with the same TLR-1 light. i have not seen an ambi safety like yours without the little tab that fits under the grip. what brand is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks good. i have that same pistol, but mine is labeled a TLE/RL II with the same TLR-1 light. i have not seen an ambi safety like yours without the little tab that fits under the grip. what brand is that? </div></div>

Thank you. The ambi safety is actually stock/factory Kimber. Snaps together in the middle, it's a bitch to get apart though. Don't really check out other Kimber pistols so I couldn't tell you what other models are similar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mq1kael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've done the camo over other colors w/ a desert tan and black but I did it almost immediately. If you were to wait like to touch up in a couple months I would probably blast again. The coating by then has been able to absorb oils and waxes from everyday use and holsters. If you look at the finish microscopically it's actually a series of ridges and valleys which make it break up light, but also holds lubrication

Tan and black

IMG_0793.jpg
</div></div>

Where did you get those sights and that rail/forearm? I now have a chubby to make my AK similar(and Cerakote the shit out of it of course!)

Re: First Cerakote job...COMPLETED!!! (very pic he

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mq1kael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've done the camo over other colors w/ a desert tan and black but I did it almost immediately. If you were to wait like to touch up in a couple months I would probably blast again. The coating by then has been able to absorb oils and waxes from everyday use and holsters. If you look at the finish microscopically it's actually a series of ridges and valleys which make it break up light, but also holds lubrication

Tan and black

IMG_0793.jpg
</div></div>

What kind of rail is that?

I spray cerakoat myself as well you did a great job the first go around. At NIC tell tell to keep your coat thin you where right on no need for too much more. I even spry cyl pistons and cycle parts with cerakote the piston tops are gold skirts dry film lubed mufflers black velvet great stuff to use on cans that have high heat and full auto barrels again great job mine did not turn out that great the first time I use a airbrush and disagree on the big spray units . I have done over 20 guns in duracoat and 10 or more cerakote really lost count its fun it dont rust and wears great cerakote what I like best and use now only palehorse

How do you smooth out a rough surface after it has been baked??
Loooks like overspray and is very rough.
Will light steel wool harm the finish?

Very nice I have all the equipment to spray as I have painted cars that I built. After seeing good results from so many I think I might give it a go. Great work.

Looks like it's time for a one year of carry, wear update yeah? I'll break out the camera when I get time and get a few pics of my pistol, along with the holster wear/road rash it has. The cerakote is holding up well and I can certainly tell where it was applied thinly. Still a good looking pistol though!!
smile.gif