First day at mile

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
Went out to our hide that we maxed out at 1,300 yards previously. We have shot that for the last 5 years or so. I borrowed a friend Vectronix rangefinder to see if we can find a mile shot. Much to my surprise we went to our 1300 yard target and found a spot on another hill that was exactly 1760. Rangefinder was amazing.

We had loaded some 230 grain A-Tips with 73.7 grains of H1000 giving us 2836 FPS SD 6. We shot those to chrono and they shot 1/4 group.

Went to the mile and as luck would have it, there was a plateau with a clearing like God hisself carved it out. Rocks everywhere except on that platform.
I called a friend to run the numbers, and he came up with 17.4 mils. We had a strong tail wind so I shaved of .2 and went with 17.2. Nope it hit low. One more correction for wind and pop. My buddy laid down and hit the target first round based on my dope.

Bucket list : check

PB

24 inch barrel?

Nope...28"...and about 100fps faster...but last week under the conditions I was in...I was 17.2Mils at 1760....at my Density Altitude....at my scope height....and my wind direction.....at my shooting angle....boy is that a lot of qualifiers.

Do you guys mind me asking.... what seating die are you using to seat the 230 A-tip? I tried seating some with my redding die and the tips were sticking in the stem.

Do you guys mind me asking.... what seating die are you using to seat the 230 A-tip? I tried seating some with my redding die and the tips were sticking in the stem.

Redding VLD Seating Stem #55730

Alternatively you can try polishing the standard stem, but you’ll probably find better consistency with the VLD stem anyhow since you’ll no longer seat off of the tips.

Reactions: MACHTECH
300WM 230 Atips 73.7 grains of H1K and COAL of 3.545, 2836fps SD6 . ADG brass

We tried a flat 74.0 and lost velocity a little bit. We run 74.5 on 225 ELD's.

26 inch Krieger. My buddy reloads but I think he uses a Wilson seating die, if that makes sense. I think we bought a VLD special seating stem as well.

We also used the Magneto speed T1000 hit indicators, those things are amazing. Target is like 24X24