First Precision Hunting Rifle - Mauser M18 in 6.5CM or PRC?

C. Stockwell

Private
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2019
I'm looking into buying or building a mid-to-long range hunting rifle. One option I'm interested in if I buy a rifle to begin with is the Mauser M18 in either 6.5CM or PRC. I'm starting from a totally blank slate.

What do you all think about the M18? My concern is that the M18 isn't exactly 1MOA according to some reviews, but the rifle can get down below 1MOA with ammo that jives with the gun. I'll be shooting this gun at 100-600 at a training class and hopefully taking it deer hunting next season.

The old Mausers have their place in history. The M18 is just living off of the name. If you want a Mauser buy the k98 otherwise buy a Remington or something else in that price range.

For what it's worth I went out on a limb and picked up a CVA Cascade 6.5 PRC and have been pleasantly surprised. I love the crisp trigger and it easily shoots sub MOA with Hornady Match and ELDX. Furthest I've had a chance to shoot it so far is 200 yards and have only shot 18 rounds so far. It has successfully harvested deer already this year too.

Attachments

• 20200916_150523.jpg
    20200916_150523.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: ffjoey
I have a Mauser M18 in 243 Win and a Mauser M12 in 300WM. They both shoot great, action feeds smooth, the M12 being smoother then the M18. I have taken them out to 400 yards and I have no doubt they will shoot great out to 600 yards or further, especially the 300WM. Don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

If you get your hands on a M18 in 6.5 CM or PRC, it will shoot. The M18's muzzle is not threaded for a brake, so recoil management will be important. My son and I love shooting the M18 in 243 Win and stretching it. With a M18 in 6.5, should be a breeze.

Does it shoot better than my MPA or Cadex rifles? No. But it is more than capable and shoots better than I am.

Last edited:
I have a Mauser M18 in 243 Win and a Mauser M12 in 300WM. They both shoot great, action feeds smooth, the M12 being smoother then the M18. I have taken them out to 400 yards and I have no doubt they will shoot great out to 600 yards or further, especially the 300WM. Don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

If you get your hands on a M18 in 6.5 CM or PRC, it will shoot. The M18's muzzle is not threaded for a brake, so recoil management will be important. My son and I love shooting the M18 in 243 Win and stretching it. With a M18 in 6.5, should be a breeze.

Does it shoot better than my MPA or Cadex rifles? No. But it is more than capable and shoots better than I am.

Thanks for the insight. Would you say the M12, such as the M12 Extreme, is worth the extra thousand for a first time precision rifle? The class I want to take comes right out and says to bring a rifle capable of at least 1MOA. I would imagine a gunsmith could thread either the M12 or M18 barrel?

If I don't end up with a Mauser, I'd probably buy a Savage or start a build.

After reading the Rifle Magazine review of the M-18 chambered for 6.5 PRC, I'm a believer in search of some actual experience. I can offer neither an up check, nor a down check, but I say, "Go for it", and beg that you provide a range report as seen from precisely your own point of view. I think we all could benefit from some of that.

I also believe that heavy barrels are not, by definition, the supreme eliminators of accuracy from thinner sporter barrels. Some of them can be tack drivers, as I witnessed for years from my Win 70 Featherweight 30-06.

I will add that I am a firm supporter of Savage rifles, and that I would love to see Mauser give them a run for their money. Our world is improved by competition.

Greg

Reactions: C. Stockwell
Thanks for the insight. Would you say the M12, such as the M12 Extreme, is worth the extra thousand for a first time precision rifle? The class I want to take comes right out and says to bring a rifle capable of at least 1MOA. I would imagine a gunsmith could thread either the M12 or M18 barrel?

If I don't end up with a Mauser, I'd probably buy a Savage or start a build.
The Mausers M12/M18 are primarily hunting rifles. The barrel profiles are thinner and lighter than most PRS type rifles. They heat up faster and barrels are not swappable . Personally, I feel more comfortable behind my chassis-based MPA and Cadex rifles for long range work, and thus shoot better with them, but they are too heavy for hunting unless stationary. Is the M12 Extreme worth the additional extra thousand? I think it depends on your use case.

My unbraked M12 300WM is about less than 10lbs scoped. Takes a conscious effort to manage recoil and shoot well, but I like that challenge. If I were shooting long range steel plates, it would not be my choice. But for a light weight hunting rifle that is capable of longer range, its great.

The Mausers M12/M18 are primarily hunting rifles. The barrel profiles are thinner and lighter than most PRS type rifles. They heat up faster and barrels are not swappable . Personally, I feel more comfortable behind my chassis-based MPA and Cadex rifles for long range work, and thus shoot better with them, but they are too heavy for hunting unless stationary. Is the M12 Extreme worth the additional extra thousand? I think it depends on your use case.

My unbraked M12 300WM is about less than 10lbs scoped. Takes a conscious effort to manage recoil and shoot well, but I like that challenge. If I were shooting long range steel plates, it would not be my choice. But for a light weight hunting rifle that is capable of longer range, its great.

Good to know!

Primary intended purpose is to get my feet wet in shooting beyond 500 yards and learn. Reason for that is because I've found deer hunting areas where I can take 400+ yard shots. I'd like to minimize weight if I want to be able to shoot unsupported. I'd ideally want a threaded barrel for a brake or can.

I agree that thinner barrels will heat up faster. I also note that they will also cool off equally quickly. If this is a problem, I would be asking myself whether the fault is in the rifle, or in the course of fire.

I would also say that hard recoiling cartridges and lower mass rifles may not be such a match made in heaven.

I get pummeled by my Mosin-Nagant 91/30 whenever I shoot it. But it's choice I make often. I use it as my test about whether or not I'm getting too old for this sport.

So far, I'm not.

Greg

I agree that thinner barrels will heat up faster. I also note that they will also cool off equally quickly. If this is a problem, I would be asking myself whether the fault is in the rifle, or in the course of fire.

I would also say that hard recoiling cartridges and lower mass rifles may not be such a match made in heaven.

I get pummeled by my Mosin-Nagant 91/30 whenever I shoot it. But it's choice I make often. I use it as my test about whether or not I'm getting too old for this sport.

So far, I'm not.

Greg
I agree with your statements above. Thus far, both the Mauser M18 and M12 have held their zeroes regardless of either cold bore or when barrel has heated up. I never got it "hot" to the touch, but even when barrel is very warm to the touch, they both held their zeroes.

My unbraked 10 pound M12 300WM is a challenge to shoot, but I use it as a recoil management training aid for my braked 50 bmg Cadex Tremor. An unbraked Mauser M12 300Wm recoils almost the same as my Terminator T6 braked Cadex Tremor 50 bmg, and the 300WM is a lot more cost efficient as compared to a 750gr Hornady A-Max. Only difference is the concussion... :)

Just dropped this boar this afternoon with my CVA while walking to find a place to deer hunt this afternoon with my climber on my back. The barrel is threaded for a brake or suppressor.

Attachments

• 20201016_121438.jpg
    20201016_121438.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 64
Reactions: ffjoey and Ghost231
I’ve heard several people claim that M18 barrels are pressed-in rather than threaded; this is NOT true. I don’t know the thread pitch or any other details, but barrel threads are plainly visible looking through the forward scope base screw hole.

Reactions: 308pirate
I just happened to notice an old trophy on the mantel that I had completely forgotten about.

It's for the 1997 NJ State Sniper Championships. Fourth place with that old Winchester 30-06 70 Featherweight. 168 FGMM.

Greg

For what it's worth I went out on a limb and picked up a CVA Cascade 6.5 PRC and have been pleasantly surprised. I love the crisp trigger and it easily shoots sub MOA with Hornady Match and ELDX. Furthest I've had a chance to shoot it so far is 200 yards and have only shot 18 rounds so far. It has successfully harvested deer already this year too.
I think you are ahead of the curve on the best new budget rifle out there. Made in the same factory as the Bergara B14 rifles with many of the same components. Nice rifle for short money. I hunt with a Premier Highlander and B14 Ridge but if I was in the market for a inexpensive hunting rifle I would go for the Cascade.

Hey stockwell,

I purchased a m18 in 6.5 prc. I did this when they we’re offering the minox 50%cert. This rifle isn’t a prom queen in the looks deptartment. It is a shooter. I’m reloading the Berger 156 EOL hunting bullet. It’s shooting one hole groups. It’s easily a 1/2” moa rifle. I’m impressed for the dollar amount. I’ve considered buying 308 & 300wm versions. 6.5 prc does it all. The velocity is down around 2906 FPS with the 156gn. I’m thinking it should speed up at some point. I’ll take accuracy over velocity for now.

This is a hunting rifle. Barrel is a little heavy for that purpose. This isn’t a prs rifle. This rifle isn’t one I’d take to a class, unless it centered around hunting. I limit my rounds at the range to 5-10, a session.

Last edited:
Hey stockwell,

I purchased a m18 in 6.5 prc. I did this when they we’re offering the minox 50%cert. This rifle isn’t a prom queen in the looks deptartment. It is a shooter. I’m reloading the Berger 156 EOL hunting bullet. It’s shooting one hole groups. It’s easily a 1/2” moa rifle. I’m impressed for the dollar amount. I’ve considered buying 308 & 300wm versions. 6.5 prc does it all. The velocity is down around 2906 FPS with the 156gn. I’m thinking it should speed up at some point. I’ll take accuracy over velocity for now.

This is a hunting rifle. Barrel is a little heavy for that purpose. This isn’t a prs rifle. This rifle isn’t one I’d take to a class, unless it centered around hunting. I limit my rounds at the range to 5-10, a session.
I've been shocked at my M18s. I think the other day I put 20 through it, with a good long break between the first 7, second 7 and the last 6. (And felt the pain of dumping 308 downrange). They do heat up pretty quickly. I'd say 7 rounds and it's going to be uncomfortable to hold. Frankly, I expected them to be garbage, but for a hunting rifle...more than adequate for 400 yards (haven't tried 600 yet). Oh, and I suck at shooting compared to these guys on here. If I can make it work with little to no effort, then most people should.

I've even toyed with getting a 6.5 or a 223 (just to burn some Hornady superperformance I accidently purchased.

My m18 shoots stupid good. Factory rounds are between .5-3/4 for the most part. Hand loaded some 118 cavity back bullets and Got several charges under 1/2”. For 400$ it’s a steal but not a comp rifle certainly.

Attachments

• 7501D0A1-6FBA-4F63-9AAE-E9C9413AAB75.jpeg
    7501D0A1-6FBA-4F63-9AAE-E9C9413AAB75.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: Greg Langelius *