• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

First PRS rifle caliber?

luketom03

Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
youngsville la
Looking at getting into or at least start picking out a caliber to be competitive in prs with. I shoot a lot or 260 but my rifle will need to be rebarreled soon so was just thinking of upgrading. Any thoughts on 6mm creedmoor? Seems like alot of people are shooting them. I reload so that wont be a problem. A guy I know has a 6.5 made by MPA and for the money and how well it shoots seems like a hard rifle not to look at. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also what reticle is everyone running the NF atacr with a tremor 3 seems like it would be pretty accurate after u learn it. Thanks for the help.... Luke

At the very top of PRS the shooters are running 6 Dasher or other 6BR variant, 6.5x47 and 6x47. 6 Creedmoor tends to be shorter in barrel life and from some accounts a bit more finicky to keep in tune with consistent velocity and groups but there are many who run it and get good results. I'm a fan of the 6BR variants, no recoil, very little muzzle blast, super accurate.

None of them are going to give you a major competitive advantage over the other, shooter performance is 90% of the results. The best caliber to get is a second rifle or barrel in 223 and to do a ton of shooting and positional practice.

It’s a dash to the dasher in my area.

So if you don’t mind fire forming some brass I’d look into that cartridge.

I have the mil c reticle on my atacr and don’t mind it at all for prs. Really never looked at the tremor

Reactions: luketom03
The advantage of the 6mm is reduced recoil.
The advantage of the 6.5 is reduced wind sensitivity.
The 6.5 will have longer barrel life (if that is important to you).
Since you are invested in the .260, I don't see an advantage to the 6.5 CM.
Decide which is more important to you and run with that.
A good suppressor will reduce the .260 to .223 like recoil, of course, the same can be said for the 6mm.

Reactions: luketom03
If you are happy with your .260 then stick with it. Only problem with it over the 6.5 Creed is OAL but if you can fit your load in a magazine then you will be fine.

PRS calibers ebb and flow. Don't follow the crowd just to do so. If you wanted a 6mm then get one but if you can't win it with a .260 then a 6mm won't make you win either. No reason you can't be competitive with a .260.

It’s a dash to the dasher in my area.

So if you don’t mind fire forming some brass I’d look into that cartridge.

I have the mil c reticle on my atacr and don’t mind it at all for prs. Really never looked at the tremor
After forming, what is your regular load if you don't mind me asking. And, what is the case water capacity if you know? -Thanks

I never followed the crowd to the dasher. I’m sticking it out with 6.5 creed. When funds allow and I get bored with 6.5 then I ll switch, maybe something better than the dasher will be available then.