• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

First rifle, MRAD or custom?

5InchGroupAt3Yard

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2024
Seattle
So, I've been thinking about getting a first bolt action gun.

Barrett MRAD has some discounts. Are they a good buy? I have also been browsing the buy/sell/trade threads but due to my limited knowledge couldn't figure out what's worth buying for me. I want a combination of the following:

1. A safe queen that looks cool and has decent resale value.
2. A platform to develop marksmanship skills inexpensively without need another trainer gun.
3. Not too expensive.

Any suggestion is welcome!

• Haha
Reactions: sloporsche
Uh, "not too expensive" is one of your three criteria and you link to a $5000 rifle with no optic?

For far less money, you can have a custom that more than satisfies the other criteria. Top-shelf action, trigger and barrel for $2500 or so, then plop it into a stock or chassis of your choice for another $1600 tops. You can knock hundreds of dollars off that total by going to "lower" price points on the action, barrel, trigger or chassis. In terms of accuracy, there is zero difference between my rifles built on a $900 action vs the $1400 action.

As you gain experience, your preferences are very likely to change, or you'll just want to try different things. An R700-footprint rifle makes that easy.

Yes, "designing" a custom is - or should be - daunting to a newbie. But you can get good guidance from any of the supporting vendors here on SH. I personally recommend talking to Greg or Russ at Southern Precision Rifles (bugholes.com) - I worked with them on a Defiance Deviant - based build and was very appreciative of the comms as the process played out. I've also worked with James at Northland Shooting Supply; he was very responsive as well.

For love of all that is decent please don't blow your budget on a high-dollar rifle and then stick a crappy scope on it. One rule of thumb says spend at least as much on the optic as on the rifle. And don't put that nice scope in shitty rings. Plan on $125-150 for the rings.
------

The preceding post pointing at MPA rifles is an easy way to get into a "preassembled custom" rifle... it just makes me a little nervous that the actual components are not specified on the rifles I looked at.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Uh, "not too expensive" is one of your three criteria and you link to a $5000 rifle with no optic?

For far less money, you can have a custom that more than satisfies the other criteria. Top-shelf action, trigger and barrel for $2500 or so, then plop it into a stock or chassis of your choice for another $1600 tops. You can knock hundreds of dollars off that total by going to "lower" price points on the action, barrel, trigger or chassis. In terms of accuracy, there is zero difference between my rifles built on a $900 action vs the $1400 action.

As you gain experience, your preferences are very likely to change, or you'll just want to try different things. An R700-footprint rifle makes that easy.

Yes, "designing" a custom is - or should be - daunting to a newbie. But you can get good guidance from any of the supporting vendors here on SH. I personally recommend talking to Greg or Russ at Southern Precision Rifles (bugholes.com) - I worked with them on a Defiance Deviant - based build and was very appreciative of the comms as the process played out. I've also worked with James at Northland Shooting Supply; he was very responsive as well.

For love of all that is decent please don't blow your budget on a high-dollar rifle and then stick a crappy scope on it. One rule of thumb says spend at least as much on the optic as on the rifle. And don't put that nice scope in shitty rings. Plan on $125-150 for the rings.
All good advice. And OP, your first custom is not the time to get creative. I happen to be a goofy dumbass who got too creative and ended up with a rifle I wished I could change everything about (I then did change everything). Depending on your budget go through this page linked below and just pay attention to the top few companies for each component. Also read the article about prefit barrels too.

The preceding post pointing at MPA rifles is an easy way to get into a "preassembled custom" rifle... it just makes me a little nervous that the actual components are not specified on the rifles I looked at.
It is really annoying. The "MPA Elite action" is an ARC CDG which is good stuff (they only do fixed bolt handle due to pivoting handles having issues with some triggers set under 1 pound weight). I saw a picture of their trigger and it looked like a BnA trigger housing, maybe a Tacsport or Tacsport Pro of some flavor? Unsure if they've changed things since I saw it though.

Last edited:

------

Good luck.
Call and ask, leave a message, or email Woody he is a great guy and always willing to discuss options and parts used in their builds. I did a custom build 6GT and its a 1/2" gun with very little load development.

Remington 700 footprint action with the ability to swap bolt heads, and have a readily available option for shouldered prefit barrels.

That way when you change your mind on something (and you will several times as you gain experience), you have a platform that you can easily swap parts (stock/chassis, triggers, cartridges etc...).

I have an AI, and I had my buddy's MRAD for about 4 months to do load development on. Both are pretty cool rifles and are turn-key, but you have to be looking for the specifics of what they offer to really appreciate one.

Reactions: 5InchGroupAt3Yard

Barrett MRAD has some discounts. Are they a good buy? I have also been browsing the buy/sell/trade threads but due to my limited knowledge couldn't figure out what's worth buying for me. I want a combination of the following:

2. A platform to develop marksmanship skills inexpensively without need another trainer gun.
3. Not too expensive.

Well if $5000 is "not to expensive" for you then good for you! LOL It's way too expensive for a lot here though and we put our rifles together to save money and still get great performance. You can do it for far less.

Hard pass on the Barrett. The MPA would be a good choice at half the money. Or depending on your mechanical ability and like to tinker bug you can put one together yourself at home. A 700 footprint is a must. It allows you to have many more options in triggers and stocks/chassis. Buy a rifle that uses an action that uses shouldered prefit barrels. Being able to change bolt faces is nice so you only have to change barrel and bolt to get into other calibers.

3. Not too expensive.

In the context of a first bolt gun and "not too expensive," I would financially plan for not only the rifle, but the muzzle device, scope, rings, bipod, bag, ammo, and a training course.

IMO better to go with a $429 Howa barreled action in a KRG Bravo along with a good four day training course than a Barrett MRAD with no training course.

-Stan

@5InchGroupAt3Yard - sounds like you need to expand on your goals and objectives further to allow for more specific feedback that will be more helpful. Otherwise you are just going to get every and any answer under the sun.

As broad as your stated goals are, anything from a bone stock Remington 700 to a $10k custom can (and will) be recommended.

3. Not too expensive.

You taking to battle? MRAD was developed for SOCOM sniper rifle competition and while it may be great for that....for a first precision rifle...no thanks.

You got good advice above about Southern Precision (and others). Another one to look into is Altus. The gunsmith Ern (@AccuSol-ERN ) is excellent and they get delivery of actions/barrels/stocks against standing orders (as do many larger builders) faster than you can trying to source parts direct from manf.

@5InchGroupAt3Yard - sounds like you need to expand on your goals and objectives further to allow for more specific feedback that will be more helpful. Otherwise you are just going to get every and any answer under the sun.

As broad as your stated goals are, anything from a bone stock Remington 700 to a $10k custom can (and will) be recommended.
Yes totally! It's hard to find out what I really want since I don't know the how and when and where I will shoot the gun, if at all.
Well if $5000 is "not to expensive" for you then good for you! LOL It's way too expensive for a lot here though and we put our rifles together to save money and still get great performance. You can do it for far less.

Hard pass on the Barrett. The MPA would be a good choice at half the money. Or depending on your mechanical ability and like to tinker bug you can put one together yourself at home. A 700 footprint is a must. It allows you to have many more options in triggers and stocks/chassis. Buy a rifle that uses an action that uses shouldered prefit barrels. Being able to change bolt faces is nice so you only have to change barrel and bolt to get into other calibers.

Oh it's expensive plenty!! 5k is probably the most I am willing to splurge, and I want to keep it simple and only buy one gun for everything.

Reactions: kthomas
Consider a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5CM. Use it and learn from it (weight, ergonomics, bolt lift, form, fit function, etc., etc.), then make a decision if you need something different. If so, take what you learned and/or don't like about the RPR and seek an upgrade. Sell the RPR for $200-$300 under what you paid and consider that a cost for the experience.

Me personally? Maybe a month mortgage, 9k plus change. Realistically without my wife killing me using the gun? Probably a lot less...

That's why I care about resale value, it needs to easily sell for 70% of what I paid.

Dude if you are going into this already planning to sell it and don't even know if you will shoot it as you said in the other post then just buy a used rifle in the PX and an inexpensive scope like a sub $1000 area and put it in your safe and see what you think. Shouldn't run more than a few grand so you won't be in it too deep.

Me personally? Maybe a month mortgage, 9k plus change. Realistically without my wife killing me using the gun? Probably a lot less...

That's why I care about resale value, it needs to easily sell for 70% of what I paid.

The reason why I ask is because you need to factor in costs for scope, scope mount, bipod, etc.

A $5k rifle is great, but if it only leaves you with $1k for accessories and a scope, you are really doing yourself a disservice.

If you're spending $5k on a rifle, at a minimum you'll be spending $2+k on a scope, like this one: https://www.eurooptic.com/Like-New-Kahles-K624i-6-24x56mm-LSW-CCW-SKMR4-FFP-Riflescope-10682.aspx

On top of that, you will be spending $200-300 on a scope mount, and at least $250+ on a bipod. You will also want a rear bag, extra mags, ammo, and perhaps other accessories. That all adds up.

$5k just for the rifle quickly balloons into $9+k. You can easily get into the game for much less, but you need to be honest with yourself and us if you want some suggestions that won't get you into hot water with the wife.

The reason why I ask is because you need to factor in costs for scope, scope mount, bipod, etc.

A $5k rifle is great, but if it only leaves you with $1k for accessories and a scope, you are really doing yourself a disservice.

If you're spending $5k on a rifle, at a minimum you'll be spending $2+k on a scope, like this one: https://www.eurooptic.com/Like-New-Kahles-K624i-6-24x56mm-LSW-CCW-SKMR4-FFP-Riflescope-10682.aspx

On top of that, you will be spending $200-300 on a scope mount, and at least $250+ on a bipod. You will also want a rear bag, extra mags, ammo, and perhaps other accessories. That all adds up.

$5k just for the rifle quickly balloons into $9+k. You can easily get into the game for much less, but you need to be honest with yourself and us if you want some suggestions that won't get you into hot water with the wife.
He's already in hot water with the wife he just don't know it yet.

If you want to get into the game just to try it out, you could also do something like this:

Tikka T3 CTR ($1249): https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXC382S-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-CTR-65-Creedmoor-S-S-200--barrel-M.aspx

Burris Xtreme Tactical Pro 5.5-30x56 ($1600): https://www.eurooptic.com/Burris-Xtreme-Tactical-Pro-55-30x56-34mm-SCR-2-Mil-Riflescope-202212.aspx

ARC M-Brace Mount ($179): https://www.americanrifle.com/#table_of_content_heading_1721834675760_166

Harris bipod (~$120)

Rear bag (~$80)

That gets you in the game for about ~$3k all in. Spend the rest on a training class to develop your skills, meet new people and to see if the sport is for you.

It's hard to find out what I really want since I don't know the how and when and where I will shoot the gun, if at all.
5k is probably the most I am willing to splurge, and I want to keep it simple and only buy one gun for everything.
Bottom line is, you really need to determine the how/where the complete rifle will be used before spending your money. There is no "one gun for everything" any more than there is "one golf club for everything."

You just said the rifle needs to have 70% resale value. Whether that's realistic at all, let alone "easily," depends on a lot of factors.

Unless you can define your use case, or you put a high priority on "looking cool" (one of your original criteria)... you won't even know what calibers to consider... I hate to sound ugly here, but save yourself (and people trying to help you) time and buy one of those MPA rifles that you think looks good, stick a Vortex Strike Eagle scope on it, put it in a safe, and call it a day. Or better still, just buy a CZ 457 MTR .22 in the cool stock or chassis of your choice, put the same scope on it... done, and it will be a lot easier to sell.

Reactions: Rob01
Bottom line is, you really need to determine the how/where the complete rifle will be used before spending your money. There is no "one gun for everything" any more than there is "one golf club for everything."

You just said the rifle needs to have 70% resale value. Whether that's realistic at all, let alone "easily," depends on a lot of factors.

Unless you can define your use case, or you put a high priority on "looking cool" (one of your original criteria)... you won't even know what calibers to consider... I hate to sound ugly here, but save yourself (and people trying to help you) time and buy one of those MPA rifles that you think looks good, stick a Vortex Strike Eagle scope on it, put it in a safe, and call it a day. Or better still, just buy a CZ 457 MTR .22 in the cool stock or chassis of your choice, put the same scope on it... done, and it will be a lot easier to sell.
Thanks man, that makes total sense!

If you want to get into the game just to try it out, you could also do something like this:

Tikka T3 CTR ($1249): https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXC382S-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-CTR-65-Creedmoor-S-S-200--barrel-M.aspx

Burris Xtreme Tactical Pro 5.5-30x56 ($1600): https://www.eurooptic.com/Burris-Xtreme-Tactical-Pro-55-30x56-34mm-SCR-2-Mil-Riflescope-202212.aspx

ARC M-Brace Mount ($179): https://www.americanrifle.com/#table_of_content_heading_1721834675760_166

Harris bipod (~$120)

Rear bag (~$80)

That gets you in the game for about ~$3k all in. Spend the rest on a training class to develop your skills, meet new people and to see if the sport is for you.
Thanks! You guys are saving me from myself no kidding

Reactions: Cody S and kthomas
Consider a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5CM. Use it and learn from it (weight, ergonomics, bolt lift, form, fit function, etc., etc.), then make a decision if you need something different. If so, take what you learned and/or don't like about the RPR and seek an upgrade. Sell the RPR for $200-$300 under what you paid and consider that a cost for the experience.
Actually, going that way I'd suggest a Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor.

My cousin recently found one...albeit left handed...for right at $2k. OP may have to look a little bit for one in stock (EuroOptic will take a back order) but they can be found. Get the 23" and change barrel and dont' look back. Get the Yo Dave $10 trigger weight spring to lighten the trigger, pop a decent scope on it, and its a GREAT gun to learn on and even to stay with. Def shoot that bad boy well out to 1k yards.

Here is the EuroOptic listing and it comes with an added on muzzle break for this price.

Just my thought about, IMO, a far better rifle than a Ruger but to each their own.

MRAAADDDD
IMG_0599.jpeg

Don't get an MRAD. It's big, it's bulky and it's minimum LOP is 14". The execution of the design is phenomenal but it's just.... I don't like it any better than my customs and it cost twice as much.

Reactions: Cody S and LR1845
I think for a multi cal setup for the money the MRAD is pretty hard to beat. I don't think it's a bad route to go. I have one on my list to get. When you consider the cost of platforms that can change from 308-300 norma it and the Desert tech are on the lower end. AI as much as i love them is double the price of that last I checked.

Last edited:
Actually, going that way I'd suggest a Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor.

My cousin recently found one...albeit left handed...for right at $2k. OP may have to look a little bit for one in stock (EuroOptic will take a back order) but they can be found. Get the 23" and change barrel and dont' look back. Get the Yo Dave $10 trigger weight spring to lighten the trigger, pop a decent scope on it, and its a GREAT gun to learn on and even to stay with. Def shoot that bad boy well out to 1k yards.

Here is the EuroOptic listing and it comes with an added on muzzle break for this price.

Just my thought about, IMO, a far better rifle than a Ruger but to each their own.
I have cross eye dominance so not sure if I will want RH or LH. MRAD kinda makes it easy because of the ambidextrous design.

First line item in your budget should be ammo and a class or two - so $1K - 2K. Worry less about the rifle - there are good starting rifle suggestions above. Take a class and spend some timing learning to shoot better. Keep reading and pay attention - eventually you’ll be in a position to ask the right questions.

No I haven't shot one
I have transitioning eye dominance and need to squint my left eye. I’m very right handed. IMO, as a long time skeet shooter with dominance issues, dominance can be managed in various ways

I ask if you have handled one….not necessarily have you shot one. The are very big and bulky rifles…again intended for SOCOM snipers. Someone above said they have a fixed 14” length of pull which would be far too long for me. Are you tall and lanky kind of fella? 14” LOP is out there by my reckoning but bigger guys may like that.

I just think it’s a terrible starter rifle. In Frank’s recent pod cast with Marc Taylor talking about their Alaska clinics, they mention the Tikka as a great first precision rifle and that a good number of their students brought them. I’m nobody, but I agree and put my cousin into one and he loved it. Shoots very well.

Best of luck

I have transitioning eye dominance and need to squint my left eye. I’m very right handed. IMO, as a long time skeet shooter with dominance issues, dominance can be managed in various ways

I ask if you have handled one….not necessarily have you shot one. The are very big and bulky rifles…again intended for SOCOM snipers. Someone above said they have a fixed 14” length of pull which would be far too long for me. Are you tall and lanky kind of fella? 14” LOP is out there by my reckoning but bigger guys may like that.

I just think it’s a terrible starter rifle. In Frank’s recent pod cast with Marc Taylor talking about their Alaska clinics, they mention the Tikka as a great first precision rifle and that a good number of their students brought them. I’m nobody, but I agree and put my cousin into one and he loved it. Shoots very well.

Best of luck
Thanks! Points well taken. I do admit that I intentionally sought after a big gun because my safe has 52.5" of vertical space that needs filling.

• Haha
Reactions: Cody S and Baron23
No bullshit, the shortest LOP is 14”. It’s an incredibly awkward rifle, but it has a lot of value which is what poor people like me say to feel better about not having an AI.
. AI as much as i love them is double the price of that last I checked.
That’s about the only thing the AI has against it though, to be fair.

I think for a multi cal setup for the money the MRAD is pretty hard to beat. I don't think it's a bad route to go. I have one on my list to get. When you consider platforms that can change from 308-300 norma it and the Desert tech are on the lower end. AI as much as i love them is double the price of that last I checked.

I would take a cadex over the mrad and dt everytime... Not even in the same league... The mrad is straight garbage...

Get a used axmc or axsr if the price hurts... Ai is the way

No bullshit, the shortest LOP is 14”. It’s an incredibly awkward rifle, but it has a lot of value which is what poor people like me say to feel better about not having an AI.

That’s about the only thing the AI has against it though, to be fair.
This is accurate, but as an MRAD AND an AI owner.... The MRAD has a better bolt and a better safety, the AI has better everything else. I'm just really off the MRAD. I can shoot it, it shoots well. But damn.... The size, the LOP, the barrel swap and the poly mags. Ergh.... AI is better. This hurts my soul to say because i've been long time anti-AI, but in this camp.... it's just better.