• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

fixing bullet run-out

jambau

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
PA
How do you correct cases that exhibit exess run out? Turning necks will uniform the neck thickness but, the way I understand it, won't necessarily correct misaligned necks.

Re: fixing bullet run-out

get a better die.

turn the loaded round and re-stroke and see if it is better.

felt pen a line on the case and see if the misalignment is consistently at one point on a loaded round showing press problems or die problems.

Sometimes the "O" ring method can help.

pull the bullet with a collet puller and try again.

That's what I got.

I never use those bullet and case benders. Don't believe torquing increases accuracy over a misaligned bullet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never found it to be a problem with Redding competition bullet seaters. </div></div>

How do you check your bullets for run out?

If you use a bushing die and self centering expander mandrel and then neck turn it would help but if a case is producing allot of runout i doubt you will be able to fix it. Are all your cases like that or just a few ? How much runout are you getting ? Im assuming your measuring from the case neck and were not talking about measuring off the bullet right ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never found it to be a problem with Redding competition bullet seaters. </div></div>

How do you check your bullets for run out? </div></div>

There are tools out there just for this job.

Sinclair, Hornady, RCBS just to name a few, make speciality tools.

They utilise a roller system with a dial/digital indicator that will show you runout as you turn the case or loaded round on its axis.

I have the Hornady Concentricity gauge and, although it being a very useful and great tool, its absolutely useless to me since I bought my .308 Forster competition bullet seater. I rarely see over .015" of runout from that die. I have used the Hornady concentricity tool on other calibers and it uses a screw-type pin adjacent to the dial gauge to push the bullet to within specs.

If your fired brass has run out before resizing no die will help you, if there is no run out on fired brass check the necks for run out after each step of your reloading process, identify where the run out is being induced and refine your process, I use a Sinclair Concentricity Gage and a NECO CAT to correct those that need a tweaking.

MALLARD & thefitter,

I never used to consider runout until I got interested in longer range shooting (due to this forum thank you very much folks).I figured at deer hunting ranges here in PA it didn't matter. Now, however, it seems I'm just as picky about my hunting loads. Here's what happened: I bought a bulk bag of 100 Winchester .223 cases. Trimmed to uniform length then weighed and sorted. I loaded them for fire forming and began rolling the rounds across a piece of glass. Most of the rounds were perfect (as far as the eye could tell). Others were obviously off so I culled them off for fouling shots and marked the cases with a sharpie. After reloading I noticed the same cases exhibited runout.Can these cases be salvaged? If not I got about 30 usless cases. I am using the Lee collet sizing die and seater.

Thanks for the responses

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never found it to be a problem with Redding competition bullet seaters. </div></div>

How do you check your bullets for run out? </div></div>

Set of V-blocks and a dial indicator.

I have have been loading in halves.
Run the case half way up an then turn 180 an finish seating the bullet. I dont have away to measure run out. So I proably have it and don't know. Some day I will.
I plan on getting something to check it.
In Da Weeds sent you a Pm

In the mean time try rolling them across a flat surface and watch the tips. I know it's not perfect but trust me you WILL see the worst ones.This was a real eye opener for me. I'm gonna try rotating them 180 and see if it helps.

Thanks