• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Footwear for PRS matches

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Supporter
May 5, 2024
Texas
Hi all. I am looking for some recommendations on footwear for matches. I have had extensive surgeries on my right leg and ankle. I have over pronation and arthritis in that ankle as well. Standing or walking for more than a couple of hours becomes incredibly painful. I need something with good solid ankle support, that is very comfortable, but also good in hot weather and possibly waterproof in case of mud and or rain. This isn't something I really put a budget cap on as long as they do the trick.

Thank you,

IMG_4097.jpeg

Altra lone peak with a zero drop. There is an episode in miles to matches where Francis & Chad go into details of the whole heel drop and for me once I switched my feet feel better and there is no heel pain from standing all day in boots

Altra lone peak with a zero drop. There is an episode in miles to matches where Francis & Chad go into details of the whole heel drop and for me once I switched my feet feel better and there is no heel pain from standing all day in boots
Most of the pain I experience is in my right ankle. My left foot/ ankle is pretty much fine. I have a brace but it’s bulky and really limits my range of motion. I will check out what you recommended though. I appreciate it.

Check out Merrells but as mentioned just bring a chair. You can sit when not shooting.

Solid advice.

There's a lot of neat backpacking chairs and stools on the market that have very low footprint and are incredibly lightweight. Would be very easy to pack around with you from stage to stage.

May be worth checking out your local REI or other outdoor/hiking/camping supply store to check out some options.

Those Altra Lone Peaks look interesting, I purchased a pair of Salewa MNT Trainer lites and love them. May order a pair of the Altra if I can figure out where to look at them first hand. Do not want to go in blind on them, weird feet/arch.

I am disappointed no one recommended Hey Dudes, I see them everywhere 🤣

Solid advice.

There's a lot of neat backpacking chairs and stools on the market that have very low footprint and are incredibly lightweight. Would be very easy to pack around with you from stage to stage.

May be worth checking out your local REI or other outdoor/hiking/camping supply store to check out some options.
my wife and I go lots of places where we need to drag chairs along… I dreaded everytime she put something in our calendar to drag folding chairs…. Then I saw these at a local store, and wow what a difference…. they have some that only weigh 1 pound, but I found this model was super comfortable for us and they are only about the size of a small loaf of bread when packed up…. shop around for decent prices, but definitely sit in one if you can and make sure they work for your comfort. https://www.rei.com/product/158016/helinox-chair-one

Reactions: XLR308 and kthomas
my wife and I go lots of places where we need to drag chairs along… I dreaded everytime she put something in our calendar to drag folding chairs…. Then I saw these at a local store, and wow what a difference…. they have some that only weigh 1 pound, but I found this model was super comfortable for us and they are only about the size of a small loaf of bread when packed up…. shop around for decent prices, but definitely sit in one if you can and make sure they work for your comfort. https://www.rei.com/product/158016/helinox-chair-one

There's some great options out there these days.

People love that Helinox option you posted. Nemo has some cool options as well. And if you want to go even smaller footprint, you can get a backpacking stool.

Reactions: R_A_W and atombomb
Everyone's feet are different so people throwing out names doesn't mean jack. Find a last ( shoe form) from a manufacturer that fits you well and then order the shoe or boot with features you want. A good set of orthopedic insoles will also make a huge difference.

Unless you are like 12 years old, you should have an idea what shoe brands fit you well based on last, width, your foot arch, ect. Stick with them.

Everyone's feet are different so people throwing out names doesn't mean jack. Find a last ( shoe form) from a manufacturer that fits you well and then order the shoe or boot with features you want. A good set of orthopedic insoles will also make a huge difference.

Unless you are like 12 years old, you should have an idea what shoe brands fit you well based on last, width, your foot arch, ect. Stick with them.

There are a lot of good brands out there, but finding a good shoe for YOUR specific feet is what's important, as pointed out here.

People can throw out whatever brands they use, but pretty useless to the OP. It doesn't matter that Lowa Zephyrs work great for me if the OP has wide feet, for example.

For shoes, fit is of utmost important. Replicating what other people wear is a recipe for disaster, unless it happens to also be an exact fit for you.

I have a couple of these types of chairs and although they are compact and lightweight can be a bit of a pain to assemble and breakdown.
I keep one in a camping box that gets reconfigured for whatever I may be doing and tossed in the jeep.
Although my go to for the last 15 years has been my Double Bull tripod blind chair.
It has been used and abused, folds up easy and is pretty compact and fits the lower two straps on any backpack that has them.