Forged VS Billet

Rock Head

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2012
Maryland
Forged and billet uppers and lowers, I understand the difference between forged and billet manufacturing process. What I don't know are the advantages and dis-advantages of the forged/billet uppers and lowers. Can anyone help me?

Re: Forged VS Billet

From my understanding:

Forged= Stronger, more basic in appearance, maybe less dimensionally exact (distortion from heat treating).

Billet=Potentially easier to bend or break with really hard use (against barricades etc.), more custom options, and for a good brand, dimensionally perfect.

From a strength standpoint, unless you are using the weapon more like a baseball bat and less like a rifle, I can't imagine the relative strength between the two manufacturing methods mattering one iota.

In knife making you have stock removers and bladesmiths. The stock removeres take a forged bar of steel then cut and grind it to shape. The bladesmiths take a piece of steel then hammer it into shape before final grinding.

Both achieve the same result but the bladesmith wastes less steel. I mention this to put things into perspective

For ARs forged vs billet

One takes a medium sized block of aluminum, heats it, and presses it into a rough shape from which an AR lower is cut.

The other takes a big block of aluminum from which an AR lower is cut.

Forging is more efficient with the material. Billet lets you do some creative things and dosn't require large specialized equipment making it more accessable to smaller shops.

The biggest confusion I see about forged versus billet is that folks think the billet is cast. It's not.

As long as they're made from the same material both will be roughly the same strength.

The largest disadvantage of billet lowers in my eyes is that they almost always weigh more than a forged lower because they don't mill as much material away.

Looking at it from the Machining side, I guess I prefer the Billet because I can appreciate the time to design the part and program the machine to make the part. I personally think there is more "personality" that can set them out from others. If you also then have a billet upper, you can then get a better looking upper/lower look/match and ideally a better fit.

Thank being said, I have both.

A bar of steel that is heated to the proper temerature and forged (hammer or press) will change the grain size and grain flow of the item being forged. The grains will "flow" around the contours and not abruptly end. This is where the strength of the forging comes in. A billet is usually extruded or drawn and its grain is straight with the length of the billet. Cast is molten metal, poured into a mold.
Think of what's going on inside your rifle when in use. Think of the bolt slamming. Forged components are less prone to stress cracks if heat treated correctly.
I worked in a hammer forge for 12 years. That's why I bought a forged M25 receiver. Do your research and make your choice.

Yeah, from what I understand, a forged-then machined to exacting tolerances is strongest and "best." Most people like "billet" for it's crisp lines and tight tolerances. A forged and carefully machined piece is the best of both worlds, like Noveske Gen 2 and the new LWRC ambi lowers, etc.

But again if we are talking AR receivers they are faintly low stressed parts. About the most stress an AR should see is in the upper, and that's the cantilever weight of the barrel.

To the last poster, I agree on an M14, and that's why I bought an LRB.

If it's the style of the lower you're most interested, stick with billet. They make all sorts of cool designs and lines you can't find on a forged lower. If you want something that's much cheaper, works as good if not better, but lacks the tacti-cool zombie milling, go the forged route.

That and billet receivers are usually machined to match a specific upper. So while the lower is still compatible with any upper, it might look kind of janky when pairing it with a different upper than what it came with.

Did I mention they're usually much more expensive?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ringer706</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's the style of the lower you're most interested, stick with billet. They make all sorts of cool designs and lines you can't find on a forged lower. If you want something that's much cheaper, works as good if not better, but lacks the tacti-cool zombie milling, go the forged route. </div></div>

This sums it up. You won't ever break your receiver, so I wouldn't even get caught up in which one is stronger. If you like the looks/features of billet, than go for it. I tend to buy billet because i think they are neat and unique, but forged sets are every bit as good.