• New Dangerous Freedom Tee - Out Now!

Available for a limited time. Grab yours now!

Shop now
  • Having trouble using the site?

Post any issues in the thread below or reach out directly to support!

View thread Contact support

Front shooting rest

Reactions: Envo
An Atlas CAL will give you smaller groups than the Caldwell. I just had a buddy sell his Caldwell because it wobbles at the top on recoil...plus the stock likes to twist in the Caldwell due to torque. I let him snap on my Atlas CAL and he shot his best groups ever at both 100 and 200 yards. If you have a typical rounded forend on your stock....the Caldwell will not be a pleasure to shoot with.

An Atlas CAL will give you smaller groups than the Caldwell. I just had a buddy sell his Caldwell because it wobbles at the top on recoil...plus the stock likes to twist in the Caldwell due to torque. I let him snap on my Atlas CAL and he shot his best groups ever at both 100 and 200 yards. If you have a typical rounded forend on your stock....the Caldwell will not be a pleasure to shoot with.
Cool I'll take a look at the atlas.

SEB MAX or bust. Yes it’s $2,000 and you have to wait a year, but you can flex on the poors and your cats will love it.

BE6FB8A0-8449-46AA-9ABF-F6B1BEB5F6AF.jpeg

SEB MAX or bust. Yes it’s $2,000 and you have to wait a year, but you can flex on the poors and your cats will love it.

View attachment 7438446
Will be sure to pick up 3 or 4 when I win the lotto.
Anyone have any experience with this one, they have it in stock at my local sportsman's. I'd have to order the atlas.

Bench rest that’s cheap but not a piece of crap like the Caldwell?

1601785320797.jpeg

Will be sure to pick up 3 or 4 when I win the lotto.
Anyone have any experience with this one, they have it in stock at my local sportsman's. I'd have to order the atlas.
Wait, do you mean a bipod or a bench rest?

@spife7980
i meant id buy 3-4 seb rests if i won the lotto.

original post i am looking for an adjustable front rest. atlas bipod was just suggested, so looking at both, never had a decent bipod so maybe would be a better option. so kinda undecided between the 2 i guess.

@spife7980

original post i am looking for an adjustable front rest. atlas bipod was just suggested, so looking at both, never had a decent bipod so maybe would be a better option. so kinda undecided between the 2 i guess.
What do you want to use it for? They aren’t really interchangeable. A front rest is not going to help unless you have a stock or chassis that tracks well and you spend a good amount of time learning to shoot that way.

I too am going to ask, what is your purpose?

You're kinda waffling in all directions like you're not really sure what you need. Tell us what you want to DO (not what you think you need to buy) and the type of rifle(s) you're going to use; and I bet you'll get steered in the right direction.

@spife7980

I’d just skip the heavy front rest and get a nice bipod. I have the Caldwell rest that I purchased nearly 20 years ago, long before I got into precision shooting. As was stated earlier, unless you have a stock designed to shoot from a rest, they don’t do much for tight groups. My light weight rifles would sometimes jump out of them during recoil, and all of them twist because none of my stocks are suited for it. Plus it’s heavy and a pain in the ass to carry anywhere. Once I started shooting with a good bipod I have never wanted to drag that heavy rest out. Again it’s application dependent though.

I’d just skip the heavy front rest and get a nice bipod. I have the Caldwell rest that I purchased nearly 20 years ago, long before I got into precision shooting. As was stated earlier, unless you have a stock designed to shoot from a rest, they don’t do much for tight groups. My light weight rifles would sometimes jump out of them during recoil, and all of them twist because none of my stocks are suited for it. Plus it’s heavy and a pain in the ass to carry anywhere. Once I started shooting with a good bipod I have never wanted to drag that heavy rest out. Again it’s application dependent though.

100%
I’ve stopped using or got rid of all my heavy accessories.
Just too much of a pain to pack and drag around.
If it won’t fit in my range bag so I can make only 1 trip from the car it’s not coming.

Alot of good points, most shooting I do is hunting or at the range near us, there is benches set up with targets from 50-1000yards.
Had a 7mm I built for long range but have sold it and just got a 6.5prc, want to get back into long range with that.
Also have an 80% lower that I'm planning on building a 6ARC with a uintah precision bolt action upper. So a rest would be useless for an AR style rifle.
Other rifles are a .223 and a .204, just did some work on the .223 as it was my old coyote rifle, want to try stretch that out as far as I can.

Good bipod and a decent rear bag is sounding like it would be more beneficial.

Reactions: brianf
Agreed with some of the others who have suggested a front rest is counterproductive. You’re never going to use that in the field, why use it as a crutch at the range? Invest in a solid bipod like an Atlas CAL

A key point here is that both equipment—meaning the whole system—and training must work towards a common goal. An AXMC is a great precision rifle, but if you bring it to a 3 gun match, you’re going to have a hard time. Similarly, if you want to pursue the highest level of accuracy, your system and training should be like benchrest or F class, even if you’re not actually competing in those disciplines. But it has to be the whole thing. You cannot stick a field rifle into a front rest and hard rear bag and do well. It will probably shoot worse than with a good bipod and soft rear bag. Benchrest and F-open rifles have wide, flat forends and flat segments of the buttstock to ride the bags. Some long range benchrest stocks like the Wheeler LRB even have an adjustable keel in the back for perfect tracking under recoil. The technique is often different too, usually with a softer hold if not actual free recoil.

I bought a relatively cheap mini tripod on amazon and fixed a small shooting bag to it. Does not look good but works fine for all my non bipod rifles. (K98k, Mosin Nagant etc.)

Get the best of both bipod and coaxial rests with the Seb Joy-Pod rest
Even with that, you need a rear bag that will track with your stock and you need to spend a good amount of time working with it. I had a Joy Pod and ended up selling it because it took too much time to make it work. It’s a great solution for F-T/R but it’s not just a way to buy accuracy.

What I'm working with right now. Just a crappy caldwell bipod and bag.

Good bipod and rear bag.

Harris is the budget option (if you leave it stock), followed by atlas, crye pod, warne, etc.

For your described uses I'd never consider a front rest. You'll never carry it hunting, and why would you practice different than you apply your skills?

Even with that, you need a rear bag that will track with your stock and you need to spend a good amount of time working with it. I had a Joy Pod and ended up selling it because it took too much time to make it work. It’s a great solution for F-T/R but it’s not just a way to buy accuracy.
What I'm working with right now. Just a crappy caldwell bipod and bag.

Are you shooting at 27 1/4 road BLM range ?
If so maybe we can meet up sometime and you can shoot off of my Sinclair Heavy Varmint windage adjustable front rest.
That will give you an idea of the pluses and minuses of a heavy front rest and wether or not that may be something you would want to explore or go the quality bipod route since I also have an Atlas PSR I would let you try.

Are you shooting at 27 1/4 road BLM range ?
If so maybe we can meet up sometime and you can shoot off of my Sinclair Heavy Varmint windage adjustable front rest.
That will give you an idea of the pluses and minuses of a heavy front rest and wether or not that may be something you would want to explore or go the quality bipod route since I also have an Atlas PSR I would let you try.
I am yeh. That would be awesome.

I thought so, I could just make out the 1200 yard plate near the juniper trees before the canyon.
We can work out a good time and you can make your own decision that best suites you.
Hands on is way more informative than Q&A on a forum.
For sure. Yeh I was just out there doing some load development on my .223 and hitting that milk jug below the 1200yard gong with my buddy's .300prc

Shoot pretty good with a sling, shot all kinds of birds and rabbits as a kid with a .22 air rifle and a sling tucked in near my arm pit/triceps.

Yeah that works for easy targets. I'l talking about a loop sling around the support arm bicep. Much more stable even without a shooting jacket.

Yeah that works for easy targets. I'l talking about a loop sling around the support arm bicep. Much more stable even without a shooting jacket.

What would you recommend for a good loop sling?
I have been looking at them occasionally but don't want to buy and try just to end up looking for another.
Have looked at the Magpul a few times, basic but seems effective just haven't tried one yet.

Last edited:
@308pirate
Just watched a video on it, looks like it would be a good option for coyote hunting. Way I use a full sling is similar. Under tricep and across then using the wrist too, just not the full loop around bicep. Is it alot more stable?

What would you recommend for a good loop sling?
I have been looking at them occasionally but don't want to buy and try just to end up looking for another.

Some good choices for a field rifle
Magpul MS1: https://magpul.com/catalog/product/view/id/5575/s/ms1-sling/category/52/ While the MS1 isn't advertised as being capable of being used as a loop sling, it can.

Magpul RLS: https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/slings/slings/magpul-rls-sling.html

And then there's the ole timey US M1 sling: https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/green-military-cotton-web-sling-green/Rifle-Slings

Reactions: XLR308
@308pirate
Just watched a video on it, looks like it would be a good option for coyote hunting. Way I use a full sling is similar. Under tricep and across then using the wrist too, just not the full loop around bicep. Is it alot more stable?
Yes. That's why target shooters use a sling that loops around the support arm's bicep. Again, it's becoming a lost art.

I know how to use it because I got my rifle shooting start in NRA highpower, where no bipods or rests are allowed. like this
1601841131735.png

Some good choices for a field rifle
Magpul MS1: https://magpul.com/catalog/product/view/id/5575/s/ms1-sling/category/52/ While the MS1 isn't advertised as being capable of being used as a loop sling, it can.

Magpul RLS: https://magpul.com/firearm-accessories/slings/slings/magpul-rls-sling.html

And then there's the ole timey US M1 sling: https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/green-military-cotton-web-sling-green/Rifle-Slings

I allready have an MS1 padded sling I guess I need to get it out and play around with the adjusments.

Reactions: Envo
Atlas S-CAL bipod and you won't ever have to be sorry! Pair it with the HawK Hill Talons and you'll have a grip on whatever terrain is out there.

That definitely seems doable as there is a lot of extra length in the sling on both ends.
Glad I didn't cut it off and heat seal it yet.
Yeah don't cut anything off until you set up the sling for prone and sitting. I mark off the adjustments with a sharpie on the webbing.

Reactions: XLR308
I agree on the bipod the Atlas is an very good choice.
I bought an Atlas bipod and had trouble adjusting the Cant because of Arthritis weakness/pain in my hands. Casually mentioned to Kasey my issue with adjustments. Long story short, Kasey and BT Industries modified my bipod at no charge and made adjustments easy and pain-free . I'm sure the other bipod builders would've done the same thing though.........yeah right!:LOL:

Reactions: Moose