• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Fussy .243

Powderburns

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2023
Wisconsin
I’ve got a factory savage 9.25 twist. I would love for someone that has this twist to share a load they have luck with. Tried 4350 in various charges. Tried Hornady Vmax 75 + 87gr. Berger hunter VLD 95 + 105gr. No luck with either. Currently getting 1” groups with 70gr Nosler BTV’s in front of 42 gr 4350. Maybe I’m spoiled with the bug holes with my 6BR. The combinations and permutations of bullets and powder I’ve used I could’ve put an 8 twist tube on by now!! Help?

The Berger folks would say a 105 Hybrid needs a 7.75 twist. I'm not going to debate their margin of safety on twist rates, but just to say they don't recommend the 105 Hybrid for a 9.25 twist because the SG drops to 1.05 and should be up near 1.4 or more. So maybe that one is a little risky due to the twist, but many of us have seen an SG nearer to 1 that still works. But let's not get too far down the rabbit hole on SG values less than 1.4 for now.

Now that said on the 105, your 75 should have worked just fine from a spin stability view point, so something else is the problem here, and the 87 is also ideal according to Berger at 9.25.

Sometimes, a barrel just needs to be in the garden as food for tomatoes. Sometimes, it needs a good scrub and it comes to life. Hard to know from the story.

Reactions: WasNH4X