• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gap-10 6.5 creedmore 16.5 barrel

rc-golfer

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2013
You guys have a great forum. I'm building a to go to gun when the shit hits the fan. A gun that's easy to move around with and shoot from 10 to 500 600 yards. I want to know you guys opinion on a gap-10 chambered in 6.5 creedmore with a 16.5 barrel and a surefire brake. I like the 6.5 creed for easy follow up shots and less recoil than a 308. I would appreciate any help that you can give.

Too heavy. Try a JP LRP-07. Im told the 18" barrel version is 7.5 pounds. Couple that with their lmos i think they call it and you have a soft shooting 308. I think they will chamber it in a 6.5 creed. I know they will do 260 which is even better imo

Dont forget if you want a shtf weapon that you will not find alot of 260 or creed ammo to scrounge if you run out. There will always be 308 to be had.

Hope that helps
J

Last edited:
If shit hits the fan (and it won't), where are you going to find 6.5 Creedmore?

When shit hits the fan (and it won't), you'll probably want a 308 in a large AR platform or settle for a plain jane 5.56 (the rifle/ammo will weigh less).

I'd go with a 223 personally. 77gr SMK's / MK 262 will reach out to 500 yards with no problem. It's much easier to use in close quarters, ammo is cheaper and easier to stock up on, the ammo is also lighter and more compact so you can pack a lot more on your person, shoots quieter, needs less powder to reload, etc.

If SHTF started tomorrow, I'd personally opt for a big 338 lapua and hide out on a mountain, but if I had to defend my home and deal with close quarter stuff as well as the occasional 300-400 yard ak spraying *racial slur*, I'd pick the 223 and carry as many 30rd mags as possible.

Chances are you'll get to shoot 600-1000yd competitions a lot more than deal with SHTF though, in which case a 26" 6.5 creedmoor would be sweet. =)

My opinion is that a Gap-10 is a great rifle, I know cause I have one. That said you are not doing the 6.5 creed a lot of justice by going to a 16 inch barrel. If your gonna go that short on the barrel go .308. A .308 will reach most of it's velocity potential in a 16" barrel, and ammo will be easier to find in a SHTF scenario. Please keep in mind that a Gap-10 is not a lightweight rifle and if you had to hump it around all day your ass would be worn out. There is a reason we issue our military 6lb. 5.56 rifles. They are lightweight and so is the ammo. Also much easier to find 5.56 ammo in a SHTF situation. Having said all that I would still buy a Gap-10 in 6.5 creed, but put a 23" barrel on it and sit back shoot 6" groups or less at a 1,000 yards.... if you can.