• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

GAP Templar action vs Rem 700?

Matabele

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2010
Hi all,

First post here, great forum learnt a tonne already!

Im considering going with GA Precision for one of their Gladius rifles. I asked if I could upgrade to their Templar action which they said they could do.

So is the extra $ worth it...what benefits does the Templar action have over the 700??

Any input welcome, thanks!

Re: GAP Templar action vs Rem 700?

The templar action is some of the best money spent when considering what you are spending on the whole rifle. Why spend money fixing something to make it closer to perfect when you can buy something that is allready "correct". The templars are made by defiance machine and Glen makes the best action out there. You will have a true helix cut into the cocking mechanicals of the action. This makes for a smoother bolt opperation, more surface for bolt lock up, and full extraction on lift. No remington "pop" at the top. Also you have a stiffer action, superior materials in manufacturing as well process. One piece bolt, mini m16 extractor and a side bolt stop.

That being said the average guy cannot tell the difference in accuracy with either if the remmy is trued and screwed by GAP just a better ride! Its kinda like a car. You can get there in a Datsun, but its more enjoyable in a Ferari! As with cars theres also better resale.

Jason

Glen Harrison at Defiance Machine manufactures several private lable receivers for rifle builders accross the US. Four builders on the Hide that I know of use these in their builds.

R&D
GAP
Skunkworks
LA Precision

From what I've seen Glen produce, the Templar would be worth the extra money. At the end of the day you'll have a true custom rifle with a custom receiver. If the 700 is used it'll still be a good rifle but, it's still a trued Remington 700 factory receiver.

Go with the Templar and dont look back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Go with the Templar and dont look back. </div></div>

I couldn't agree more! I currently have 2 in the safe, and #3 (a 6xc Crusader) is on Moon's bench right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matabele</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So is the extra $ worth it.??
</div></div>

YES.

95% of the custom 700 clones are worth the money. Unless you have a place in your heart for the 700, the Templar is the way to go.

I have both...Action/truck comparison....

My Gap Rem action:
http://image.automotive.com/f/projectbui..._front_view.jpg

My GAP crusader with Templar action:
http://image.off-roadweb.com/f/9546311/0...yota_tundra.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strictlyRUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The templar action is some of the best money spent when considering what you are spending on the whole rifle. Why spend money fixing something to make it closer to perfect when you can buy something that is allready "correct". The templars are made by defiance machine and Glen makes the best action out there. You will have a true helix cut into the cocking mechanicals of the action. This makes for a smoother bolt opperation, more surface for bolt lock up, and full extraction on lift. No remington "pop" at the top. Also you have a stiffer action, superior materials in manufacturing as well process. One piece bolt, mini m16 extractor and a side bolt stop.

That being said the average guy cannot tell the difference in accuracy with either if the remmy is trued and screwed by GAP just a better ride! Its kinda like a car. You can get there in a Datsun, but its more enjoyable in a Ferari! As with cars theres also better resale.

Jason </div></div>

I have a couple of Defiance actions and love them. They have a number of small improvements like the one-piece bolt and stiffer action.

Now, will a custom action shoot any better than an R700 trued up by GAP? No, nothing that us mere mortals would notice: maybe David Tubb could tell a difference.

Here's something I have kind of learned along the way that favors an R700 action: The bolt to body clearance on most of the custom actions is quite tight compared to a Remington 700. This is touted to improve "precision" and accuracy and maybe it does...or maybe not. But, the tighter clearance definitely reduces reliability in dirty environments. A custom action is a lot more likely to jam in the dirt than a Remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A custom action is a lot more likely to jam in the dirt than a Remington. </div></div>

Scoot,
Although there is some truth to this, it isn't an across the board rule. As an example, the bolt to receiver fit on the Skunkworks 911 (and other actions made by Defiance Machine) is designed specifically for tactical type builds and the actions are highly reliable in dirtier environments. There are also other manufacturers that will loosen the tolerance between the bolt and receiver if you ask them to.

Never found any problems using the Templar and the GAP7000 action before it as far as jamming when getting dirty. They just keep running.

Also you won't have to worry about the Templar's bolt handle popping off as it's all machined out of a single piece of steel. Here's the rest of the reasons from the link above as to what the Templar gives you for the extra money, which isn't that much more:

# Specs: as compared to Rem 700

# Reciever body is hardned 416 Stainless Steel

# Tang is thicker and then radiused so it still fits a Model 700 style stock nicly.

# Caming / Unlocking has 35% more engagement.

# Precision Ground Recoil Lug is double pinned.

# Steel 20 MOA Base , attached with 4 8-40 Tapered Head grade 8 T-15 screws

# Bolt stop has been changed to the GAP Style side release

# Raceway is Wire EDM'ed instead of broached.

# Manufacturer of our action is Glen Harrison, Defiance Machine LLC. , Glen was the founder and former president/owner of Nesika Bay Precision before selling it to Dakota Arms. Glen is a pleasure to deal with and we are very pleased with the actions he is making for us.

# The primary extraction is increased by 35% this means that upon opening the bolt the case is pulled out of the chamber 35% more just upon opening, this makes for very smoothe bolt cycle. This change is both in the reciever and the bolt.

# The bolt/handle is now 100% one piece, its machined from a solid piece of 4320 CM and heat treated. The knob itself is the only part that is threaded on via 5/16 x 24 threads. The handle is swepped back a tad, Not straight for ease of operation. Extractors are M-16 type and stronger than other designs.

# Bolt is .750 Diam for 338 Lapua and Rigby based cartridges.

# Available in Left Hand, Single Shot, Left Port Etc.

I am sure they would have to make some small mods but it's doable. They put a GAP7000 in an M40A1 stock for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A custom action is a lot more likely to jam in the dirt than a Remington. </div></div>

Scoot,
Although there is some truth to this, it isn't an across the board rule. As an example, the bolt to receiver fit on the Skunkworks 911 (and other actions made by Defiance Machine) is designed specifically for tactical type builds and the actions are highly reliable in dirtier environments. There are also other manufacturers that will loosen the tolerance between the bolt and receiver if you ask them to. </div></div>

Thanks for the info. What clearance do you use between your bolt and body If I may ask? Anything else about the bolt fit: borden bumps or anything like that? Any difference in the clearance in the front or back section of the bolt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A custom action is a lot more likely to jam in the dirt than a Remington. </div></div>

Scoot,
Although there is some truth to this, it isn't an across the board rule. As an example, the bolt to receiver fit on the Skunkworks 911 (and other actions made by Defiance Machine) is designed specifically for tactical type builds and the actions are highly reliable in dirtier environments. There are also other manufacturers that will loosen the tolerance between the bolt and receiver if you ask them to. </div></div>

Thanks for the info. What clearance do you use between your bolt and body If I may ask? Anything else about the bolt fit: borden bumps or anything like that? Any difference in the clearance in the front or back section of the bolt? </div></div>

Although I appreciate the question, I don't really want to publish that info on a public forum. Shoot me an e-mail or give me a call....Thanks Scoot