• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes GDI P-ROM L-Model Design

wm.penn

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2011
AZ
I recently picked up a 34mm 25 MOA P-ROM L-Model from Rifles Only.

First of all, I want to thank and applaud Marco and Kate at GDI and Lisa at Rifles Only for customer service that is second to none. Truly outstanding people behind this product.

Second, this mount is impressively beefy, yet not chunky. You get the sense that it has only the material necessary to get the job done, but it leaves you with no doubt that it will withstand whatever you can dish out. It came in at 10.5 ounces on my Zieis scale, as pictured:

promonscale.jpg

Finally, I was not previously aware of the particular ring design employed on the P-ROM L-Model. The rings do not form a circle per se. As seen here:

promcloseup.jpg

Marco was kind enough to provide a detailed explanation of this design. He gave me permission to post it on Sniper's Hide as I felt that others might find it useful. His comments follow below the line.

To better orientate you to our mount's design features, I will define the details of the geometry:
  1. Our P-ROM L-Model Ring Caps are engineered to not "sit flush" with the inner aspect of the mount's Lower Yoke / base; this is by design. Most ring caps approximate 180⁰ of maintube coverage, with the (lower) ring yoke covering the remaining 180⁰. That said, you will typically see standard ring sets sit flush on the inner contact area (when the ring caps are assembled w/o the scope mounted).
  2. Our mount's Lower Yoke / base is designed to cradle the scope's maintube over a greater degree of area (past 180⁰); this is also by design. The additional degrees of Lower Yoke proves to better stabilize and support the scope under vibrational and in-line shock impulses during live-fire. As a result, the upper Ring Cap and Lower Yoke do not sit flush on the inner contact area w/o the scope mounted).
  3. The non-flush design feature allows for variances in dimensional tolerances of the scope's maintube. A spec deviation in the maintube's diameter of as little as .0005 per side, (.001 (one thousandth) total), will significantly effect the lockdown capabilities of the ring cap, thereby causing the scope's maintube to remain loose within the rings, and not torqued to spec., (while the ring cap screws themselves may be torqued to spec). Our design allows for any deviations that may occur from one scope manufacturer to the next.
    NOTE: For reference, please note images below of three different industry examples that also utilize this design feature.

17492198.jpg
    53414940.jpg
    67936400.jpg

4. The flat "gap" that you have referenced on the Lower Yoke is also engineered into the mount's design, as it allows for relief on the scope's maintube, in addition to positioning the Ring Cap in the proper location for torquing in the event of an undersized maintube. NOTE: For reference, please note images above of three different industry examples that also utilize this design feature.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any way going forward; thank you for your interest in our
Marksman Grade Engineered Mounts™.

V/r,

Marco Gonzalez, CEO
Global Defense Initiatives Inc.
Military/Government Services
www.gdiengineering.com
Marksman Grade Engineered Mounts™

Last edited:
Anyone running care to answer a question for me on one so I can order one. Looking for a 34mm version for my leupold Mark6 3-18 .looking to know what base I should grab to be able to keep my Peq 15 mounted on the too rail without getting shadow of it through the optic

Damn, it looks like when I get home I should sell my 34 mm 0moa model. Lol. They are super nice bit like already said pricy. Rtz didn't happen for me till I learned how to set it up. Then it did pretty good.

Lol. Ifni was home ir sell it. I haven't used it for a while buy I do like it. In just sold the rifle i used it on and only have 1 34 mm scope left and will use my badgers on it. Ir sell it for half price or so I guess when I get home. But that might ba quite a while. They are good mounts.