• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gear for 1st Training Class

ruger35

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2019
Baton Rouge, LA
Finally signed up for my first class, going to Rifles Only in December. I went through their equipment list and I think I have everything needed. I just wanted to get feedback from those of you that have went to actual classes and what you wish you would/would not have brought?

List of things I currently have:

(2) 6.5CM rifles,,verified to be within accuracy requirements
Ammo will probably be handloads since I have all the components already
Currently have Vortex bino's, but was considering buying LRF bino's to hopefully do a couple of comps next year, is this something you wish you would have had at class?
Have a RRS tripod I plan to bring
Have a couple of Atlas & Accutac bipods
Have a full size gamechanger, Taylor rear bag, and Precision Underground bag, not sure if there is another?
Plan to shoot suppressed and bring a couple with me
Would you recommend a Kestrel? (Currently do not have)
Have a small Mystery Ranch backpack, and a Badlands Ascent I have used hunting, what would be the feedback on packs for a class?
Cleaning equipment

Anything else I may have missed or you have advice?

Kestrel - absolutely, but I'd print out hard dope too
LRF Binos - plenty of time to pick them up before Dec, no need to rush your decision. If you get them, absolutely take them.
Pack - needs to hold all critical gear except your rifles & tripod
Spare mag(s) - might be mandatory @ RO?
Mag holster on belt - esp for RO, you'll understand when you get there
Sling - required for some RO classes
Fix It Sticks - they'll have something, but I'm never without mine
Cleaning - will want to clean chamber too
Rain gear, including scope shower cap
Backup ear pro
Battery pack
Nalgenes, electrolytes
Ibuprofen

Reactions: ruger35
Kestrel - absolutely, but I'd print out hard dope too
LRF Binos - plenty of time to pick them up before Dec, no need to rush your decision. If you get them, absolutely take them.
Pack - needs to hold all critical gear except your rifles & tripod
Spare mag(s) - might be mandatory @ RO?
Mag holster on belt - esp for RO, you'll understand when you get there
Sling - required for some RO classes
Fix It Sticks - they'll have something, but I'm never without mine
Cleaning - will want to clean chamber too
Rain gear, including scope shower cap
Backup ear pro
Battery pack
Nalgenes, electrolytes
Ibuprofen
Guess I'll order a Kestrel, something I've been putting off
I think the Badlands can fit everything I need for this class
Have spare mags, but I do need to get some 308 mag holders and finally set up my belt
I see they require a sling, never thought about using one on a chassis but guess I'll pick one up
Fix It Sticks go everywhere with me as well
Scope shower cap was something I didn't even consider, thanks for that!

Ibuprofen is certainly a great recommendation in my opinion...

I think that I understand the question (or at least the reason behind it) but would have to suggest- you potentially may learn more/get more out of the class by running what you currently have at the moment. I'm sure that the folks here could recommend a lot of "go fast gear" but humbly I'd say that while the suggestions may be in the best spirit of the question, there's a chance you wouldn't understand why the (otherwise solid gear recommendations you'd get here) hold the weight they do until you can test the gear you already chose/purchased.

I know, not exactly the response you're likely looking for but I'm usually the contrarian and try to offer alternative responses that I think will ultimately be in your best interest.

-LD

Ibuprofen is certainly a great recommendation in my opinion...

I think that I understand the question (or at least the reason behind it) but would have to suggest- you potentially may learn more/get more out of the class by running what you currently have at the moment. I'm sure that the folks here could recommend a lot of "go fast gear" but humbly I'd say that while the suggestions may be in the best spirit of the question, there's a chance you wouldn't understand why the (otherwise solid gear recommendations you'd get here) hold the weight they do until you can test the gear you already chose/purchased.

I know, not exactly the response you're likely looking for but I'm usually the contrarian and try to offer alternative responses that I think will ultimately be in your best interest.

-LD
That’s exactly what I was looking for actually. I assumed it be a learning experience, just wasn’t sure if it was a better experience with particular equipment.

Thanks for your input.

Did Jacob give you a packing list or what to bring to the class?

Snacks, wet weather gear, cold weather gear ( if you think texas in Dec is cold lol) and a med kit with allergy meds/ibuprofen/asprin/liquid IV and a good eye drop like zatador. A good shooting mat never hurts either to stay dry and clean.

Did Jacob give you a packing list or what to bring to the class?

Snacks, wet weather gear, cold weather gear ( if you think texas in Dec is cold lol) and a med kit with allergy meds/ibuprofen/asprin/liquid IV and a good eye drop like zatador. A good shooting mat never hurts either to stay dry and clean.
I like at the list on the website, and I think from the emails he sends something closer to class. I was just putting some feelers out there to get people’s opinions.

I currently have a CrossTac shooting mat that I use, comfortable but not quite as portable as some of the others.