• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Gen II Reticle

rtr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2008
Colorado
Looking for opinions/experience with the Gen II (NOT Gen II XR) reticle. Have a chane to buy an S&B with it. Used for tactical type matches shooting MOA or larger targets out to 800 or so yards.

Concerned mainly if the lines and mil dots are too thick and will cover too much of the target. Have an S&B 5-25 with P3 reticle on hand to compare with, is the Gen II thicker, thinner or same in terms of the line size? Also have a NF NPR1 on hand to compare to.

Re: Gen II Reticle

I have a 5-25x S&B with the Gen II in it and I think its a good reticle in the scope. I have used it in many matches and have never had a problem shooting a target due to the reticle. I don't have any scopes with P3 reticles. So can't compare the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for opinions/experience with the Gen II (NOT Gen II XR) reticle. Have a chane to buy an S&B with it. Used for tactical type matches shooting MOA or larger targets out to 800 or so yards.</div></div>
The Premier Gen 2 XL is a nice reticle, and you should be fine 1 MOA or smaller targets out to 800 yards. A 1/2 MOA target is 2.423 times as wide as the <span style="font-style: italic">line width</span> of the Gen 2 XL. A 1 MOA target will be 4.846 as wide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Concerned mainly if the lines and mil dots are too thick and will cover too much of the target.</div></div>
As I mentioned above, you shouldn't have a problem with the line width of the Gen 2 XL (0.216" at 100 yards), which is actually slightly more fine than the line width of the P3 and P3L (0.240" at 100 yards). The diameter of the Gen II XL's Mildots is the same as the diameter of the Mildots of the P3 and P3L (.72" / 0.2 MIL at 100 yards).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rtr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have an S&B 5-25 with P3 reticle on hand to compare with, is the Gen II thicker, thinner or same in terms of the line size? Also have a NF NPR1 on hand to compare to. </div></div>
As stated above, the P3 and P3L have line widths of 0.240" at 100 yards, which is wider than the line width of the Gen 2 XL (.0216" at 100 yards). The diameter of the Mildots is identical in all three reticles (.72" / 0.2 MIL at 100 yards). I've looked through PMIIs' equipped with both the Gen 2 XL and P3 and the Gen 2 XL's line thickness is easily distinguished from the P3, although the "balance" is about the same though due to the Gen 2 XL's .5 MIL hash marks.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Premier Reticles PMII Gen 2 XL Diagram:</span></span>
GenIIXL.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Schmidt Bender PMII P3L Diagram:</span></span>
PMIIP3L758x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Schmidt Bender PMII P3 Diagram:</span></span>
PMIIP3758x6.jpg

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crosshair in the center is too thick for my tastes. </div></div>
I shoot small targets and/or small areas on steel at distance and feel the same way - thats' why the Gen 2 XR is my favorite reticle (.075" line width at 100 yards). A .308 hole is easily quartered.

However, the Gen 2 XL is still a very good reticle and it's thicker line width is easier to see than the Gen 2 XR in low light and against dark backgrounds.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Premier Reticles PMII 5-25X / 4-16X Gen 2 XR reticle diagram:</span></span>
5-25Gen2XRslick2.jpg

Keith

Thanks guys, got a deal I couldn't pass up on the S&B. Looked through a P3 at the range today and thought it was fine, so hopefully the Gen 2 XL will be even better.

The XL, as you can see in the pic above, has not only the center illuminated but 2 mildots on either side and 4 mildots down illuminated. The Gen II in the S&B wil just have the center illuminated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Gen II in the S&B wil just have the center illuminated.</div></div>

Great, just wanted to make sure the dimensions of the reticle are identical, sounds like they are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI :

GEN II XL = Extra Lights, meaning it illuminates more of the reticle.

GEN II XR = Extra Reticle, meaning more reticle to use for holding off.

Not official but how I remember it. </div></div>

Hi Rob and Frank,
The XL and XR were really supposed to mean extra long or extra range. We interchanged the two terms for a bit until the reticle actually came out and we called it the XR for "extra range" all XR's have the 4 extra windage illuminated hold offs at left and right.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Paul

Shot the scope, why?

I have two pdf some where with the GEN2 info and formulas that Dick Thomas sent me just before going in to hospital.
Not for public domain though.

I was able to shoot the gun with this scope on it out to 1020 yards and found it worked fine. The target at 1020 was about 9" in diameter and I didn't have any trouble seeing or hitting it.