Getting around a Proxie?

Re: Getting around a Proxie?

Since I run the proxy server for my company I've seen numerous attempts to get around it. I understand some people have legitimate reasons for doing it but most of the people here just want to check their Facebook.

You have a couple options to get by a proxie.
1.Run a browser off a thumb drive. This works real well actually as long as the IT department hasn't disabled the USB slots on your PC.
2.Goto one of the numerous proxy websites. This only works if your IT department is slacking. Generally we update our list of proxy sites once a week and if we see something odd in the logs we add that too.
3.Buy a domain and set your own proxy up. Make the domain something innocent sounding and you should be good for awhile.
4.This is the 100% guaranteed way to get around the proxy, go down to the IT department, find out who monitors it and buy em off. We're not above bribes, as long as you don't tell everyone what you're doing. I've gotten more free bottles of whiskey since we put the proxy up.

We've bounced back and forth between blocking everything and having a "allowed" list which allows very little and blocking most stuff and allowing the rest. Depending on what your company has going is going to depend on what route works best for you. I would suggest the browser on a thumb drive first and then goto bribery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hansonian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
4.This is the 100% guaranteed way to get around the proxy, go down to the IT department, find out who monitors it and buy em off. We're not above bribes, as long as you don't tell everyone what you're doing. I've gotten more free bottles of whiskey since we put the proxy up. </div></div>

Wish it was this easy in our IT deparment.

I have an account at proxify.com that has proved my most reliable tool for "firewall piercing." Their fee is $40 every six months and the headache it saves me is well worth that. You don't need an extra browser, you just go to their web site via secure HTTP. Enter the URL you want to go to and, BadaBing, you're there. They have a bunch of 'secret' URLs that no one is privy to unless they buy an account, so your IT department probably doesn't know them all. I was a civilian administrator in Iraq for close to three years and it always worked for me to get past those pesky DoD firewalls. Sometimes I needed to go someplace that was forbidden for their benefit. For instance, for a time, the Marines in Fallujah were denying me permission to download executables from Microsoft.com and Oracle.com. I felt obligated to save them from themselves and Proxify usually did the trick.

Proxify does have some limitations, like it doesn't play well with Java, but it's always my first option.

Another good one is GoToMyPC.com. When I was forbidden from downloading from certain domains, I could remote in to my home PC via GoToMyPC, command my home PC to download the file, then transfer it to the local PC. Also done by HTTPS, it never failed me when dealing with DoD.

I ran MetroPipe tunneling service on occasion but it made steam shoot out the firewall administrator's ears. They couldn't see what I was doing but they could tell it was something naughty.

Search external proxy server in google.

Should give you links that look like a page with a search bar, type the website you want to go to and it should make it.

Proxy servers aren't used that much anymore.
A much more effective means of blocking is to do it with DNS filters.

I just setup a client the other day with free filtering by OpenDNS.
Frustrated some slackers to no end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Proxy servers aren't used that much anymore.
A much more effective means of blocking is to do it with DNS filters....</div></div>
Even easier to circumvent than proxies. Edit the local HOSTS file and you don't need DNS.

At home, record the IP Address for any name resolving website, like tools.pingdom.com or manage.logicboxes.com. Enter this IP into your browser instead of the URL (don't forget to bookmark it), then use that site to resolve any desired URL. Enter the new URL and resolved IP into your local HOSTS file. Then your browser can resolve that URL without DNS.

The only check Windoze makes before going to the local HOSTS file is the resolver cache, which could have been "poisoned" by the DNS filter. If that's the case, run "ipconfig /flushdns" or use the resolved IP instead of the URL and you're in bidness.

There is always a way around, for those who really want to push it.

As I told my clients the other day, at some point you have lay aside the technology and focus on the person.
If you have someone who is giving way more effort to Facebook than they are to working, then other changes may be in order.

Proxy servers, DNS filters, etc. are all rapidly becoming moot points as smart phones are replacing the traditional means of connecting to the web.

Just terminal serve (Remote Desktop connection) into your home PC and run it from there.

If I set up a proxy you won't get around it - if it's inline vs parallel you just can't.

Best to pay off the IT guys LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is always a way around, for those who really want to push it.

As I told my clients the other day, at some point you have lay aside the technology and focus on the person.
If you have someone who is giving way more effort to Facebook than they are to working, then other changes may be in order.

Proxy servers, DNS filters, etc. are all rapidly becoming moot points as smart phones are replacing the traditional means of connecting to the web. </div></div>

This is the rightest answer... LOL

I don't really care b/c I have my iPhone (not a stinkin' Droid wannabe smartphone
grin.gif
). If I'm bored at work, I'll just hop on the net there. I wouldn't bypass the websense anyways b/c that kind of stuff will get your ass in a sling, if caught.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our dept uses some shit called "websense". We all hate it. </div></div>

Same here. It won't let you google the proxy servers. I have no idea what "run from the thumbdrive" is, but I will educate myself.

Not sure what the hell this thing is, but it blocks all websites except certain ones they have entered. I do not work for the company I am staying at their compound and they have the proxy due to a bunch of TCN's who are not responsible web users (really not even sure they are supposed to have comp's). I e-mailed the IT clown in Dubai and he said it was a nogo to unlock the hide off the day list. You have no idea how boring e-mail yahoo and face-book can be during the day.... Outlook wont work, my normal e-mail wont work, yahoo wont work, skype wont work and there is a whole list of crap that wont work.

Google translator was a fail

Hopefully will make it back to Kabul soon.

FYI,

The reason for that is more for the management of bandwidth than it is to manage the users.
Bandwidth is an especially vital commodity on the .mil networks.

Save all the arguments...
It doesn't make a difference.
Policy is policy...
Those that write it are not usually the most informed when it comes to IT matters.

It probably isn't a proxy that's preventing you using Outlook, POP E-mail and Skype, the admins probably are blocking the ports in the firewall that those apps use. So even if you defeat the proxy, those problems still won't be fixed unless you also are clever enough to run port redirection (which is a nutroll on a Windoze system).

IMHO, the best solution for POP E-mail is to forward from the POP account to a webmail account that supports secure HTTP access (HTTPS). HTTPS almost always is available because it uses port 443, which must be left open or a great many "legitimate" security transactions will fail. That also is why it's preferable to select an anonymous proxy that supports access via HTTPS, i.e., https://proxify.com/.

Defeating the proxy, BTW, does not mean you're invisible. You still will leave footprints. If it's an administrator worth his salt, he checks his logs regularly and you will be discovered. If you're lucky, he'll consider it harmless and look the other way. If not, you can expect some measure or retribution up to and including locking out your account.

Oh yeah, you also can defeat a DNS filter by configuring your NIC to use one of the OpenDNS servers, but that presumes you have sufficient credentials to modify the NIC's properties.

Practically anything can be thwarted if they've left you access to command line, which is why it's usually prohibited by GPO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hansonian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
4.This is the 100% guaranteed way to get around the proxy, go down to the IT department, find out who monitors it and buy em off. We're not above bribes, as long as you don't tell everyone what you're doing. I've gotten more free bottles of whiskey since we put the proxy up.

</div></div>

+5 integrity

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI,

The reason for that is more for the management of bandwidth than it is to manage the users.
Bandwidth is an especially vital commodity on the .mil networks.

Save all the arguments...
It doesn't make a difference.
Policy is policy...
Those that write it are not usually the most informed when it comes to IT matters.
</div></div>

since its not a .mil network your whole post for the most part is invalid. Just trying to get something to do during the day since I work in the office and its sLOOOOOWWWWW...

The other post about outlook etc is correct though when I make it home or to Kabul its gonna take forever to download all these backed up e-mails which sucks balls.

Like I said, if they leave port 3389 outbound open, go to "Remote Desktop Connection" - connect to your home computer and browse from there - they'll have ZERO control of where you browse to
smile.gif

That requires you setting up p ort forwarding on your router, to your home PC, enabling Remote DeskTop connections for Administrators only but that's easy.

I used to do that all the time when I worked in Seattle.