Getting started ballistic calculators

Rbb392

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2023
TX
Hi there! I’m fairly new to the forum but have about 16 years of long range shooting experience in the hunting world as well as more recently professionally. Over the years technology has gotten better and my investments in long range shooting have increased I’ve gone through a a handful of different ballistic calculators, whether apps or devices that I still use all of for one thing or another and I thought I’d share some of my favorites and what I like about them in case there’s someone out there who that information would be useful to.

1) jbmballistics.com - not an app, this website has been up and free since I was 15 and is a wealth of useful data. For aid in load selection it has a bullet stability calculator, generates density altitude dope cards, and there are calculators that are are simplified as well as ones that take into account all the factors you need to be able to play around in the elr world. Very little if any truing has been necessary when using glass who’s turrets/reticle measure accurately (ie 1mil/moa actually equals 1mil/moa)

2) the RevicOps app- initially downloaded because one of my shooting partners bought a Revic rangefinder and wanted help setting it up, the app itself is a standalone that also tracks very well, syncs with the nearest weather station for environmentals if not connected to a Revic optic, and most usefully, if you handload, has a database of powders and will factor in projected impact on bullet velocity based on powder temperature

3) AB Kestrel - expensive to bite off on when first getting started. Has proved its weight in gold in the military and PRS world.

4) garmin tactic 7 pro ballistics- my wife just bought me one for my birthday and I hope its as good as my kestrel but always on me

Anyhow I thought maybe it was time for me to contribute a little instead of quietly stalking the threads. if anyone has any questions about any of I’m happy to answer or inputs you’re welcome to add. Or if this belongs elsewhere or there’s no interest I can pull it down