• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Giraud Power Trimmer and neck sizing

G

DP425
DP425.gif

XSergeant
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
199 posts this site
Giraud Power Trimmer and neck sizing
01/06/2017 Last edited 01/06/2017 by DP425

I haven't ordered yet, but I noticed the manual said neck sized brass will need a special case holder. Upon contacting Mr Giraud (he gave a very pleasant email response!), he said only about 5% of the cases people send him do not require a specially made holder.

I'm just curious what everyone is doing here- I haven't heard a single person, in all of the reviews I've read, mention getting a special holder for neck-sized cases.

I don't want to spend the time anymore with my wilson trimmer; not to mention that while I do have an inside chamfering tool for use with it, an outside deburring tool does not exist. The Giraud does it all at one time, taking a three step process down to one; if it can hold similar accuracy, this is a no-brainer!

Rate now:
jakhamr81XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
1760 posts this site
Re: Giraud Power Trimmer and neck sizing
01/06/2017 Last edited 01/06/2017 by jakhamr81

There's a chance. His case holders can have pretty tight tolerances. I have to send my .308 holder back to have it opened up. The M118LR brass I have is too thick and doesn't fit in the holder.

You'll love the Giraurd trimmer. It's by far one of the best reloading investment I've made. I can knock out a could hundred pieces in a half hour or so.
Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.8/5 this site
3050 posts this site
01/06/2017 Last edited 01/06/2017 by padom

If your going to need to trim many calibers and you dont have a Dillon progressive I agree the Giraud power trimmer is the way to go. By the time you buy multiple Giraud Tri Ways you should have just got their power trimmer. If you only need to trim 1 or 2 calibers the Giraud Tri Way does the same job for much less.

I had 4 or 5 Tri Ways at one point, wished I bought the Power Trimmer then got a Dillon XL650. I bought Dillons RT1500 trimmer and trim dies and will NEVER use anything else. Sold all my Giraud Tri Ways. Nothing like depriming, sizing, trimming and setting neck tension all in one pull of the handle. I now process large quantities of brass in very little time without ever touching a case. Dump in the automatic case feeder and go.

Rate now:
DP425
DP425.gif

XSergeant
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
199 posts this site
01/06/2017

Thanks for the replies.

Padom, I just sold two 550Bs in preparation to upgrade to a 650 or 1050. However, I was under the impression that the RT-1500 didn't allow neck bushings, doesn't chamfer and de-burr, and isn't as consistent. Am I wrong on this?

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.8/5 this site
3050 posts this site
01/06/2017 Last edited 01/06/2017 by padom

The trim dies do not provide "proper" neck tension I will say. It DOES size the neck but WAY too much neck tension. I know guys that process 5.56 plinking ammo that are fine with the extreme neck tension the trim die provides. I am not. Compared to say a FL sizing die or bushing die its many thousandths too much. Depending on what caliber Im sizing/trimming, I have the Dillon trim die/RT1500 setup in station 4 with the die configured to bump the shoulder to my desired case headspace (or no bump depending on what caliber). I then have either a Forster FL Sizing die, Bushing Neck sizing die or Mandrel in Station 5 to set neck tension.

I have 100% consistency on case trim length and Ive trimmed thousands and thousands of cases. As long as your trim die and RT1500 are tightened down properly and your manipulating the handle fully every stroke trim length is dead on every case. I can see how if you got lazy and didnt fully extend the handle for each case till it stops trim length could very because the case wouldnt be going all the way into the trim die. I never had this issue though...

Yes, you do need to chamfer/debur. Still a million times faster than individually grabbing and pushing into a trimmer every case then grabbing and putting each case into a FL sizing die, or maybe a body die then a neck die. I did that for years, speed doesnt compare. What I do is fully process my brass on the XL650 with the RT1500 trimmer then SS wet tumble to remove lube. That removes a good portion of the bur from trimming. I then throw the fully processed, ready to load brass into labeled bins. I dont process brass often because I have so much of it. I process large quantities a few times per year because I can do so much in such a short time. When it comes time to load I will grab 50 or 100pcs out of the bin, chamfer/debur on my FA case prep center and set them in my loading tray.

Rate now:
jakhamr81XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.1/5 this site
1760 posts this site
01/07/2017

---------------------------------------------
--- DP425 wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

......However, I was under the impression that the RT-1500 didn't allow neck bushings, doesn't chamfer and de-burr....

---------------------------------------------

This was why I went with a Giraud power trimmer. Even if I have a trimmer on my progressive it would still take me twice as long if I have to chamfer and de-burr by hand.

Rate now: