• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Giraud Power Trimmer owners

JRM

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2013
Ohio
I just placed my order today and want to know from you guys with first hand experience; did you buy cutterhead/case holders combo for every caliber you use, or adjust the cutter head with every change of caliber? If you didn't do you regret not spending the extra money or is the process pretty straight forward to adjust?
This will be my first and likely last trimmer I'll ever buy, buy once cry once. I went ahead with the holders for 308,6.5cm,223 with 458 socom in the future.Looking for opinions since I still have time to add to the order or standby

i bought the cutter and trimmer for each caliber, i am only loading for 3 different cartridges so not a big deal. its not a big deal to readjust them but they wont be the same every time, i dont think it makes much difference

Get individual cutter heads for each neck diameter as well as the shell holders for each caliber. Use regular lock rings such as the Forster Cross Bolt rings which are easy to adjust. Once setup makes switching a breeze and provides for consistent trimming. Currently have seven shell holder and six cutters.

Reactions: canezach
I have 223 6.5 and 308 blades, and 223 260rem 6.5creed and 308win shell holders, all the shell holders have Forster die lock rings on them for easy fast no adjustment conversions

Get individual cutter heads for each neck diameter as well as the shell holders for each caliber. Use regular lock rings such as the Forster Cross Bolt rings which are easy to adjust. Once setup makes switching a breeze and provides for consistent trimming. Currently have seven shell holder and six cutters.

This is what I do as well. Get yourself a 6-pack of the Hornady Sure-Loc die rings for your shell holders and it will make swapping a breeze.

In my Giraud, I trim 223 Rem, .260 Rem., 270 Win., 308 Win. and 30/06. I bought separate cutter heads for each caliber, makes it so fast to change calibers. I use the same shell holder for 308 win and 260 Rem. It works fine with out having to buy a separate 260 shell holder. I use the same shell holder for 30/06 and 270 Win. No issues with that setup either.

Giraud is the best trimmer out there. I used to own a Gracey and a Dillon. The Dillon is good if you use a progressive press, that's what it was designed for, but for me, I use single stage so the Dillon wasn't the best.

You'll love the Giraud.

Swap out the shell holder rings with lockable die rings as suggested. I don't understand why Doug hasn't upgraded his case holder rings with lockable ones. Locking rings make it easy to set the cutter depth and when removing and re- installing the holder, keeps the holder set to the original depth setting.

Last edited:

Damn you're smart. Always frustrating setting the shell holder.

But yes get cutter heads for each cartridge not just caliber.

But yes get cutter heads for each cartridge not just caliber.

What? That makes no sense. You're saying if I I have shell holders for 6.5 Swede, 6.5 Creedmoore and .260 Rem., I should buy / have three 6.5 cutting heads?

You only need one 6.5 cutting head. I use my one 30 cal. cutting head for 30/06 and 308 Win. No need for another .30 cal. cutting head.

I will echo what others are saying. Buy cutter heads and holders for each cartridge. If you are already spending that much on a trimmer then a few dollars more for the extra heads is no problem. It also makes it way easier to switch out. I tried the adjustment when I first bought my trimmer. After my first time, I said nope. I will buy the extras to make life easier.

Thanks guys. I had a feeling this was the consensus. Great point about consistency. Dialing in with a caliper every time a caliber change takes place would be a bitch. Why does simplicity and convenience always cost so damn much?!
i made the call to add to additional cutting heads. Really looking forward to using this trimmer.

Reactions: abizdafuzz
Yep, different cutters set for each caliber and shell holders for each case family works great for me too. It makes things easy and simple, no need to suffer. Those parts are a small cost in the grand scale of things. Also, my time costs me money, so if I can save time then some things just make more sense.

I've had mine for about a year, as some have stated but a cutter head per caliber, and shell holders for each cartridge. The locking rings that come with the shell holders suck replace them before you do anything else. Also I found when setting the trim length to use the same amount of pressure and the same technique that you'll be using while trimming. If you hold it in the trimmer until you don't hear/feel it cutting anymore your trim length will be longer and inconsistent when your trimming. If you set it up the same way you'll be using it you will get very consistent trim lengths so long as your headspace is consistent on your brass

Gonna follow up on this.
The trimmer is excellent. I just placed an order for the hornady locking rings. It's odd that Doug would go through the process of setting everything up for you and then that work is lost the second you change a shell holder. Regardless a few more bucks for a piece of mind.

For you guys shooting 6.5 creed, 260, 270 ect, is this trimmer accurate enough for accurate loads over quantity loads? I've been looking at one for my 5.56 to plink with, but if it's good enough for my precision stuff I'll get one sooner than later. I'm kind of tired of all my manual setups for the case prep.

For you guys shooting 6.5 creed, 260, 270 ect, is this trimmer accurate enough for accurate loads over quantity loads? I've been looking at one for my 5.56 to plink with, but if it's good enough for my precision stuff I'll get one sooner than later. I'm kind of tired of all my manual setups for the case prep.

As long as your resizing process is accurate your trimming will be accurate. The trimmer references off the shoulder of the case. If you pay attention to how you set everything up and use it consistently you'll have excellent results.

Agreed with what Bull said. As the saying goes, garbage in, garbage out. But if everything is set up properly, including your dies, you'll have excellent, consistent results

I agree with buying cutter heads. I didn't know you could do that, and after switching from 6.5mm to 6mm this year, I adjusted the blade on my cutter. It's a pain in the ass and I don't want to switch it back now!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk