• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 23C

Mordamer

Professional Know It All
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2010
    Hammon, OK
    This gun is amazing. It has less muzzle flip than my Glock 19. I shot my Glock 19 and Glock 23C today in a fun shoot competition at my local range. The competition is timed and I was able to shoot a better time with the Glock 23C despite the larger caliber. The compensated Glocks only cost $30 more than a regular Glock and in my opinion the way they shoot makes them worth every penny. I think more people should own a compensated Glock.

I hate reading and hearing several ridiculous myths about the compensated Glocks.

Myth 1: "Shooting one at night is like having a flash bang grenade go off 3 feet in front of your face."

This was actually told to me by someone in the gun shop when I was purchasing the gun. This is large load of horse manure. I have shot them in low light conditions and if you are concentrating on your target you will never even notice the flash from the barrel ports.

Myth 2: The gas from the ports will rip your body parts off if you have them in the way.

The gas from the ports is very powerful, but there is almost no normal shooting position that one could use that would let the gas hit them. If you have both hands on the gun you will not feel the gas.

334u251.jpg

2430wly.jpg

123nvch.jpg

vgpxfb.jpg

2j15x50.jpg

2a6nxau.jpg

Re: Glock 23C

I would have gotten a 23C if it had been an option when I got my 23. Unfortunately they aren't that common, probably due to the rumors you mentioned. In 99% of actual shooting the compensated barrel would be a good thing.

Thanks for your post on this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mordamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The gas from the ports is very powerful, but there is almost no normal shooting position that one could use that would let the gas hit them. If you have both hands on the gun you will not feel the gas. </div></div>

When one contemplates the use of a handgun in a defensive situation, that use rarely involves "normal shooting positions" and may very well put those ports next to your face. Just for fun, do me a favor and touch off half a dozen full power rounds from a full one-handed retention position with the ports right underneath your chin and tell me if the slight reduction in recoil is worth the powder blast up your nose and in your eyes.

When they first came out years ago, my police department issued Glock 22C and 23C's. I had one and carried it for several years. I could only tell a difference in recoil and muzzle flip in the full-sizes and then, only when shooting side by side.

Enjoy your 23C. Glocks are great handguns. Just be aware of the advantages and disadvantages.

Have you ever actually fired one from retention and gotten a blast in the face or are you just assuming? I can't imagine why you would have the gun "right underneath your chin"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mordamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever actually fired one from retention and gotten a blast in the face or are you just assuming? I can't imagine why you would have the gun "right underneath your chin"? </div></div>

Why yes, as a matter of fact, I have. I can send you a photo of what firing a gun from retention looks like if you're having a hard time imagining it or you can just google 'shooting a pistol from retention position'.

As one of the primary firearms instructors for my agency, we had these pistols in inventory for over 10 years and I mentioned that I was issued a 23C. I put thousands of rounds (10-15k?) through that pistol from every conceivable position and I got popped by that blast many times. Enough that it made me cringe when I had to do it. I was conscientious enough to take precautions such as tilting the pistol outboard or away from my face to minimize the blast and made sure to wear eye pro but on the street, you don't always get to choose the fight or take precautions ahead of time. I also found that the ports were excellent lint catchers and did a real good job blackening night sights. I also think night sights are of dubious value in the real world, so no big deal there.

However, if you like your pistol and think the ports help you shoot it better, more power to you. I just don't see that the reduced muzzle flip outweighs the disadvantages and it's sometime to be aware of. Most people won't run their guns hard or, thankfully, have to use them in the circumstance where it would matter. You can always drop a conventional barrel in it for non-range use if you change your mind.

not sure glock is making the 23c anymore,not listed on their web anyway. Any compensated or ported pistol will increase concussion to the shooter. If you shoot alot in matches and practice you get used to it. When its done from a "speed rock" (the weapons retention method described above) the concussion is worse. Springfields v-10 were tghe worse I've used, but any IPSC comped gun will do it also. I use/shoot the 23c as well as the 19,38,26,20,35,17L, and to me it shoots like any other 23. more flip than the 19,38,etc. less than the 26. the weapon retention or "rock" is probably the most important technique to a civilian, while shooting games are better played with the 17L and 35. The concussion from the 23c doesn't affect my decision for carry of the 23c, if needed there will be a minimal number of shots fired, around 2 I hope.
    Your experience goes against the opinion of 1000's of IPSC shooters, but none the less I'm glad you like the gun.

almost forgot to mention the reason for the 23c demise. Shooting cast bullets is difficult, the finer lead dust is blown down into the lower dust cover area and back onto the hands, jacket and plated are an option, but more expensive.
    for high volume practice this can kill a potential purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">almost forgot to mention the reason for the 23c demise. Shooting cast bullets is difficult, the finer lead dust is blown down into the lower dust cover area and back onto the hands, jacket and plated are an option, but more expensive.
    for high volume practice this can kill a potential purchase. </div></div>

It isn't recommended to shoot cast bullets out of any factory Glock barrel.

The 23C is noticeably louder. I don't think I'll ever fire it from retention. I usually carry a Glock 26 or 19 instead of the Glock 23C.