Goals?

Pavetim

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2022
Tampa, fl
What are some goals for long range shooting. For example 100 yards 1/2moa, 500 yards 8 inch gong 2000 yard a fridge lol? I ask cause I sighted my new rifle up to 400 yards and granted it was breezy but groups were pretty bad, well I thought bad

Attachments

• 20220902_142119.jpg
    20220902_142119.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 41
At 100 the smaller the better. I like to see sub .5moa.
We try to keep targets around 1 moa tall and 1.5-2 wide regardless of distance. Our 1500 yard target is 16" square. 2000 yard target is 20" tall and 40" wide

If you can consistently shoot good groups at 100y going out further is no different. On a calm day 1 moa should would be a decent standard out to 1k or so. If you have access to 1500+ give it a shot and walk it out

There is one thing you need to remember when shooting ELR is very small changes you make may not show up at 100 yards but they will be magnified at 1500 yards. Focus on fundamentals and really knowing your rifle and your load. I can sometimes tell just from feel if I messed up and know I missed even before the round gets to the target.

Reactions: Taylorbok
As you read, learn and most of all shoot you’ll get better and set new goals. When I first got into long range shooting in about 2010 my goal first time past 500 yards was to hit a 4x4 foot piece of cardboard at 800 yards. Was floored to make 3 hits out of probably 12-15 shots

Fast forward 12 years and that same target is 100% hits. At this point printing an 8” group on that target would be a reasonable expectation with my current setup on a good day.

My last fclass match I put 48/60 rounds into a “10” ring (1 moa) at 1,000 yards. Which is about my average to above average skill level

Set up steel targets at distance and add some changing weather variables and what not and try for first round hits at distance can be another animal in itself

My personal goal when shooting groups while load testing is:

1//2 moa - 300 yards - 5 shots. That be a precision rifle with hand loads. Under 1 moa for hunting type rifles I consider good at 300

What are some goals for long range shooting. For example 100 yards 1/2moa, 500 yards 8 inch gong 2000 yard a fridge lol? I ask cause I sighted my new rifle up to 400 yards and granted it was breezy but groups were pretty bad, well I thought bad
Just analyzing your target I’d say,

5 rounds probably factory ammo or untuned loads

4 top rounds would be a decent group at 400 starting out in longer range. Decent vertical spread. Wind being a factor

Top 3 would be awesome vertical group with a crosswind. Showing vertical consistency in the ammo. Only 3 shots however

I would expect your target out of a factory savage, Tikka, Ruger, Howa etc shooting factory ammo at 400 yards for 5 round groups.

my goal is to finally make it to Ohio and shoot 1 mile . Then my bucket list is to make it to see and shoot in Kansas to see and shoot 3k+ everything else is just a build up/ practice to those dreams .

Unless you’re wanting to shoot benchrest type stuff, I’d say make your goal 100% recoil management with no brake on the rifle at 100-300 yards. Maybe a contrary/unpopular idea, but recoil management is a much better indicator of good fundamentals than the target is. I see guys shoot good groups with terrible fundamentals all the time. You’ll never see good recoil management with bad fundamentals. Master recoil management and you wont have a group size goal. Your target will simply be the size the rifle and your dope/wind calls allow.