• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Goodbye Wisconsin... I've had enough!

Xshot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Evansville, WI
I've pretty much had it living in Wisconsin! Got my real estate tax bill and it's up 9.5 percent over 2009. This is on top of a 2009 reassessment that increase fair market for all property in my district by 30 percent across the board - during the worst recession in modern history! Had we not defeated the special referendum, on the November 2nd ballot for road repair/improvement in my township, my tax bill for 2010 would have increased 20.1 percent. I'm zoned AG and live in a rural a rural area (meaning - no local police or fire department: no municipal provided sewer or water, I have my own well and septic system; and no natural gas, I use propane. The value proposition for living here is now upside down!

Oh, the school district gave itself a 13 percent increase over 2009! Don't get me wrong, I want to help pay to educated the kids. The fact is enrollment is down and the money is not going to the kids... gee I wonder who's getting it.

I can afford the increase, but there no end in sight with the legislative loons here and I won't be played for a sucker. So I'm going to move to the hunter and gun friendly south/southwest. I'll keep the acreage further north, but I won't be a resident here much longer.

I'd love to hear from hide member's as to what states are viewed as more conservative, gun and hunter friendly.

Re: Goodbye Wisconsin... I've had enough!

North, Central and Western Florida are great as well. Southeast Florida trends more toward Philly, N.Y. and New Jersey. No surprise since the people who moved there from those states vote for the same types of assholes that caused them to flee NY, NJ and PA in the first place.

If you like bugs, heat and humidity, you'll love it here!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Idaho Wyoming and Utah.</div></div>

+1

You sure don't want to live in Washington they don't want you to own firearms or hunt here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Idaho Wyoming and Utah. </div></div>

Spent the mid to late 90's in Caldwell Idaho and loved it there. Did a lot of bush flying throughout Idaho and the northwest. Came back to Wisconsin for a woman, because she wasn't ready to relocate that far from family. She's still with me and her views have now changed. Unfortunately, so has Idaho. Used to be the best kept secret in the lower 48, but many - they shall remain nameless - have relocated to Idaho and really pissed the locals off and driven up property values. It's still on my list, just not much of a secret anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Idaho Wyoming and Utah. </div></div>

Spent the mid to late 90's in Caldwell Idaho and loved it there. Did a lot of bush flying throughout Idaho and the northwest. Came back to Wisconsin for a woman, because she wasn't ready to relocate that far from family. She's still with me and her views have now changed. Unfortunately, so has Idaho. Used to be the best kept secret in the lower 48, but many - they shall remain nameless - have relocated to Idaho and really pissed the locals off and driven up property values. It's still on my list, just not much of a secret anymore.</div></div>

That is true however it is still a great place to live especial if you are careful were in Idaho you move several places are still not contaminated as bad as you would think.

Texas.

How is this for gun friendly? To be honest the biggest problem you would have relocating to Texas is the summer heat.

5264459273_98c547ecca.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texagator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Texas, by God. </div></div>

What's not to love about Texas. Great people known for the down to earth commmon sense, good tax environment, conservative government and big country. Problem is it's so big that I don't know where to begin looking. I want to be rural and own a few acres. I willing to build so off grid is doable. Don't need big city or high humidity.

Upon retirement, I moved from Michigan back to rural Kansas...very gun friendly,good people, plenty of space (more cows than people),crime is very low, cost of living is easily half of what we spent up north, the state does not tax my retirement....summers are a little toasty, but the trade-offs are worth it...The RURAL part is very important...When I sit on the front porch, all I hear are coyotes and owls down in the creek bottom...I've almost forgotten the sounds of gunfire and rap music...

idaho shooter you are clueless....texas hill country is beautiful and anything but flat, I have a 1,000 acre ranch that there is no way to cross in a straight ling, too many cliffs canyons, valleys and hills....you saying texas is flat is like me saying all they eat is potatoes in idaho!

I've driven from one end of texas to the other while I love the beauty, and the "hills" that are found in some parts, I cant seem to get over the lack of public ground. I spend alot of time there and couldn't find anywhere to shoot without paying. A good friend of mine moved to the Dallas area with high hopes of enjoying the Texas lifestyle and for two years didn't fire a shot or even ride his ATV in texas. Not saying it cant be done, it just seems kinda difficult unless you own a place or know someone who does.

wink.gif
BTW if anyone would like to invite me
wink.gif
wink.gif
to their place
wink.gif
I'd love to be corrected
wink.gif

Tennessee isn't too bad, but it sure as hell isn't Utah (I miss the gun laws there). Nashville and Memphis politics screw us over a bit but at least property tax is at a decent level.

This is great stuff guys, keep it coming!

All the states have their good and bad attributes. The same holds true when it come to terrain and climate.

I've been told my residence is post card like. Several acres that abuts to a small private lake, year round flowing creek through the property and surrounded by public land that is totally under utilized. My views are fantastic and the environment is serene with loads of wildlife. Just can't stomach the liberal progressive attitude of the Madison elite and state wide legislators - think Berkeley Midwest.

I never said the whole state was flat, but you have to admit theres many a square mile in your state that is about as hilly as my kitchen table. Never been through your neck of the woods, Ill have to swing by the area by next time I am down there. As for potatoes, thats all we eat, we still have wild indians, and were hoping to get electricity by next year....

What you do for a living will drive where you can live in Texas...but if I did not have to work I would live in Kerrville/ Junction, TX, Ft. Davis Texas, or stay in the Wimberley Area....Wimberley is three hours from great salt water fishing, and the deer hog and exotic hunting is second to none in Junction....as for FT. Davis it is freaking beautiful, it is just in the middle of nowhere.

Other places I would love to live Wyoming, Montana, Utah, or Idaho been all over the place hunting those places just are great....

but the one thing texas has over all those places...warm winter!

I have spent most of the last 4 years working in south east Georgia. The property taxes are about 1/5 of what my IL taxes are. You can get about 25% more home for the dollar than here in IL, they have a 3 1/2 month deer season, a must issue CCW law, county roads are still dirt and they have a prety good dove season. The down side is the heat. I beleive it is the hottest place I have been in the US during the summer but very nice between Nov and April. Snow shovels are not allowed.

What I don't understand is that when they want to pass a tax for something for whatever reason that everyone gets to vote on it, but us landowners are the only ones that pay for it because it is only on property tax. I hate that all these people that don't own property can say "oh yeah, I'll vote for that." When they aren't even helping to pay for it. And here I sit with my property tax going up every year.

New York Times rated "Most Conservative State in the Union"

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z170B8huYoA&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z170B8huYoA&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Texas.

How is this for gun friendly? To be honest the biggest problem you would have relocating to Texas is the summer heat.

5264459273_98c547ecca.jpg
</div></div>

I will see your 1919A4 on Ranger and raise you a M2HB on Toyota. HAHAHAHA

M2HB.jpg

South Dakota is good no state income tax and you can use silencers to hunt everything. I like winter and ice fishing way to much to live anywhere south of here. 6 months at Ft. Sill was good enough for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Xshot here in California....never mind....
frown.gif
</div></div>

I've spent a lot of time in California, mostly around Santa Cruz. San Francisco is my number favorite big city to visit. That said, I couldn't own a residence there for many of the same reasons I've gotta get out of Wisconsin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in a small town about 60 miles north of New York City. I own a 3br, 1 Bathroom, on a half acre. The house is 1100sqft, and I pay $8100 in property taxes per year.....

Hugo </div></div>

That's nuts! However, I do understand that family and a career can be a primary reason for where we live. That said... when people start voting more with their feet, legislators will get the message.

In Nevada we have no state income tax,you can buy suppressors and full auto weapons. Arizona is good also.
To carry in AZ all you have to be is breathing......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That said... when people start voting more with their feet, legislators will get the message.</div></div>

It has sure shown Cali
confused.gif

You're just too close to Madison. My taxes went down this year: State, County, and City.

We're going to be leaving NY.... Just not sure where to go.... My wife has family in MD. Everyone in my family is military, so who knows where they'll be. Just have to nail one place down and see what happens. We are now looking at Western PA.

Hugo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in a small town about 60 miles north of New York City. I own a 3br, 1 Bathroom, on a half acre. The house is 1100sqft, and I pay $8100 in property taxes per year.....

Hugo </div></div>

That's nuts! However, I do understand that family and a career can be a primary reason for where we live. That said... when people start voting more with their feet, legislators will get the message. </div></div>

My property taxes here in OKLA. are around 700.00/yr. on 135 acres, 2100 sq. ft. house, 2400 sq. ft. barn w/corrals. I wouldnt advise anybody to move here though. Its hotter than
hell,there are chiggers,ticks,fireants,copperheads,rattlesnakes,cottonmouths and methheads by the dozens. Nearly all the women are snaggled toothed and fat. The good thing is there aint hardly any bleeding heart Yankees.

My father is living on the farm near Tomah Wisconsin. He turns 80 this coming January. I go up there quite frequently to help and check on him. That's why I'm still here. My younger brother is planning on moving there within a year. So I'm looking to change my residence to a state that better suits me lifestyle and conservative viewpoint. So I'll still have roots in Wisconsin and a place to go for winter hunting.

Feeling a little better. I called 5 yotes in across the frozen lake around 8 P.M. tonight, but they were too far out for a 55 grain 5.56 FMJBT. I'll load up some 77 grain SMK's and take out my frustration early next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My property taxes here in OKLA. are around 700.00/yr. on 135 acres, 2100 sq. ft. house, 2400 sq. ft. barn w/corrals. I wouldnt advise anybody to move here though. Its hotter than
hell,there are chiggers,ticks,fireants,copperheads,rattlesnakes,cottonmouths and methheads by the dozens. Nearly all the women are snaggled toothed and fat. The good thing is there aint hardly any bleeding heart Yankees. </div></div>

You had to go there... most women in Wisconsin are really fat. For some reason, known only to God, they love to sport tattoos on their fat ankles and legs. FWIW - I don't have a problem with tattoos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That said... when people start voting more with their feet, legislators will get the message.</div></div>

It has sure shown Cali
confused.gif

You're just too close to Madison. My taxes went down this year: State, County, and City. </div></div>

Austan - you make a good point about being to close to Madison. Spooner is probably far enough north to where you can get away from hearing about the idiot lying legislators every day.

Back in the day Utah was awesome-not so much now. You have to be a lottery winning lawyer to understand the hunt regs. Taxes and gov'ment thuggry trending way up. Wyoming good if you like cold and big open spaces. Warmer places... AZ,TX, and maybe FL for good gun laws and no state taxes.

I like it right here in West Georgia.
Four distinct seasons, and reasonable taxes.
Keep in mind that when you "Vote with your feet", someone else will move in to the space you left, and pay the same taxes. Do you think the tax collectors give a hoot where you go?

Xshot.......You think your taxes are high now, wait 'til you leave Wisconson and they hit you with a luxury tax for owning land that is not your primary residence. Happened to my folks on 30 acres they owned in Hillsboro, WI. That state is designed to pull every bit of cash out of the hands of those that work!!!!

Xshot,

Tennessee is also very gun friendly and we don't have State income Tax.
I agree with all the other members here talking about Texas. I lived there for a few years. Other than having the Dallas Cowboy's stuffed down my throat (
grin.gif
) every other day it was and still will be my favorite place to live. Very hunter and gun friendly.

Wisconsin is an absolutely beautiful place to visit. As for the politics and taxes a hearty Fuuuuuuccccck yeeeeew comes to mind.
Hint....look at my handle.

PS...Milwaukee and Port Washington by the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To carry in AZ all you have to be is breathing...... </div></div>
grin.gif

Many undocumented guests and reservations spoiling vast beautiful shooting areas, along with the ungodly heat would have me to put my home state at a second to UT or maybe MT.

Its home to me, but if I were to move I'd probably pick a different state to try out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To carry in AZ all you have to be is breathing...... </div></div>
grin.gif

Many undocumented guests and reservations spoiling vast beautiful shooting areas, along with the ungodly heat would have me to put my home state at a second to UT or maybe MT.

Its home to me, but if I were to move I'd probably pick a different state to try out. </div></div>

Got my tail wheel sign-off out of Falcon Field years ago. They kept telling me it's a dry heat, but 110 in the sun made my skin sizzle. I had a great time flying around the state and exploring. Always thought Prescott was a nice area.

What about New Mexico? I've passed through their several times, but for the life of me can't remember much. Maybe it's me, but it seems like you don't here much about the State, it's people or problems.

I've always liked the location of St. George Utah. It's close to the surrounding parks and not to for from Vegas, plus they have more than 1 golf course which is a must.

Come out to Oregon! We're real conservative and very tax friendly!! The cool thing is that it gives you a feel of the old Soviet Union without having to live there or experience those booming years. Cuba would be a close second, but doesn't have enough cold, driving rain for my likes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always liked the location of St. George Utah. It's close to the surrounding parks and not to for from Vegas, plus they have more than 1 golf course which is a must. </div></div>

The only problem is the triple digit heat 6 months out of the year and the 60+ age requirement
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Xshot,

Tennessee is also very gun friendly and we don't have State income Tax.
</div></div>

I Must Disagree with you there... Having lived in states with good Gun Laws, TN Sucks.. As do the Antique Hunting laws. If the new state legislators don't Fix the laws to mirror Modern Southern states.. I will be leaving. With no CCW, you are a Obedient Victim or a Criminal... Can't even drive from one stand to the next hunting without locking Ammo in another part of Vehicle... Fuck'em if they don't trust their Citizens.

Come to Colorado if you like fat chicks wearing Broncos jerseys with a pack of smokes rolled into the sleeves, all corn fed and raised on government cheese and welfare checks. A good occupation is inbred meth lab operator, with Aunt Mom and Uncle Dad on the corrupt Denver Metro Police Department, a transplant should do just fine.

You don't to move to Virginia, They tax you on everything and on properity taxes you better have alot of cash on hand. The saying in VA is you never really own anything because you are always pating taxes on it. And the governer wants more taxes because he can't do his job properly,he is a spend happy jack ass. MM

I've been seriously thinking of doing the same. However, the recent election has given me a ray of hope that things just may be starting to change for the better. Hopefully we can start getting back to reality. So I'll be sticking it out, at least for a while.

I'd probably go to South Dakota or Wyoming, but I'd keep my property in WI. I just love Northern WI. I don't work anymore so I'm fortunate to have the option to go just about anywhere.

Have been thinking of fulltime Rv'ing too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>

You had to go there... most women in Wisconsin are really fat. For some reason, known only to God, they love to sport tattoos on their fat ankles and legs. FWIW - I don't have a problem with tattoos. </div></div>

Those fat women in WI are probably the oldfashioned milk haulers. They have to eat a lot so they have the strength to throw them old 13 gallon milk cans onto their truck, one in each hand.
Unlike Austan, who drives a bulk hauler around.
grin.gif