gopro with a spotting scope

AJK07

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2013
North Dakota
I just got a gopro for xmas. was wondering if anyone has a way of making the gopro focus through a spotting scope so can zoom in and record long range shooting. I have a Leopold Keni spotter.

I've ordered a custom adapter for my Spotter 45 and gopro hero3, as soon as I've it iy hand I'll try do make good video/picture, the remote control will be nice to have a better control of the camera

A built in viewfinder is one of the reasons I opted for a Drift Innovations HD170 over the GoPro back when I was in the market.
After about 6 months I was woods riding on my KTM 300 when a squeeze between 2 closely spaced trees tapped the camera just right and shattered the screen.
The upside is if I was running a GoPro in that situation it would have smashed that little brick of a camera. The HD170 still runs, albeit without a viewfinder. I never liked the form factor of the GoPro, seems like they tried to give it a traditional camera feel.

Joe

My gopro's have the wifi pak (hero 2's) and I know the new hero3s or some of them have that as well which will let you use your smart phone as the "view finder" as well as control all aspects of the gopro. You could actually do this with a tablet since it just creates a wifi connection between the phone/tablet and the gopro and have a semi large screen in front of you on the ground to be able to watch the shot. I dont know how well it will work but I may try to rig something up and give it a shot.

Correct. This is how my hero 2 with the wifi pak works, at least after the app was updated. You can start or stop the recording etc from the phone and it is your view finder. You could also use a tablet or hell a laptop with a projector if you wanted I suppose. It's just an ad hoc wireless connection between the gopro and the phone/tablet or whatever. I'll see if I can test it with mine tomorrow if I can find the thing. I think I have some mounts to make it work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

yvy5u8uz.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN8955_zps79f0f9a6.jpg
    DSCN8955_zps79f0f9a6.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 98
Tempest 455 would love a closer pic of that camera set up. Could up show the parts of that? Great looking set up! These are really good for shooting alone. You can reveiw your shot and make your own wind calls.

Yah, but you get what you pay for. They did it right the first time. I tried three cheap versions first and they all sucked. Should have got it right out if the gate.

I bought that adaptor from US Nightvision for my Leupold 10X40 and it didn't fit??!!! It would not go around the eyepiece ring!!!! Could you post a photo of your eye ring and the mounting ring... I don't know what to do???...

I swear they sent me the wrong part...

Last edited:
All I did was took the roll bar go pro mount with a few extra attachments that are normally in the kit to get the distance and level right. I have the older hero2 with the wife pac so I can watch it on my cell or tablet. I've only tried it at the house but it seems to work well. I'm assuming there will be a short delay for the wifi streaming. This is on a bushnell flp so very similar to the mark 4..

It's mounted on the portion of the bushnell behind (closer to your eye) the focus ring that doesn't move. Setting should be normal not wide/fisheye or whatever that setting is for wide screen that semi distorts the image.

This is how I mounted mine. I will say its a pain in the ass to get the go pro to lineup to get the sight picture since I'm semi limited in the direction I need the gopro to go in since the lense is offset. If I had a flexible mount of something it would make it a little easier. I'll try to record some at the range next time I'm out but I can't get the who camera screen to full up with the picture due to the widescreen of the camera. Another camera may do better to be honest..

zu4abaga.jpg

Tempest 455 would love a closer pic of that camera set up. Could up show the parts of that? Great looking set up! These are really good for shooting alone. You can reveiw your shot and make your own wind calls.

Here you can see in it this vid. I used steel, aluminum will bend. Very simple, just need to make the rod the correct distance to the eye piece. Then I just spaced it out so the height was correct. Probably could have made something nicer on my lathe but it works. The I have a threaded rod w/ a jam nut to tighten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGg2K0EQrkU