Got 360 acres, want to build a range

microsuck

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2007
Richardson, TX
I have 360 acres of perfectly flat land. Its a square, so its 1,200y sides, with a 1,800y diagonal. Only problem is you cant see very far because its so flat. There isnt really any high ground. Its all within 3-4 feet of elevation. I was thinking of building a tower, but dont want to spend several thousand just yet. Just a 1 lane range for me to practice on. Anyone have any ideas?

Re: Got 360 acres, want to build a range

Rent a dozer or excavator and build a big berm. You could hire it out but it is some serious fun to operate the heavy equipment.

Make a pond beside the berm and you have a dirt source for the berm and nice pond when you are done.

The NRA has a range how-to manual with plans in it. It is overkill for your application since it's just for you but it does show you how to make the most of the land you have and all of the rules/laws associated if you end up needing those.

if its that flat buy a short shipping container. and you should be able to see everything. excavator for berm. you can prob bid it cheaper than renting the machine and runnin it yourself "the guys that run em for a livin are a little bit faster than most and fuel aint free"

I am not a expert by any means!! But here is my 2 cents!
You allready have all the info that you need. You have to have a BERM!! The pond is a good idea if it and your berm are close. I wished I had a place like yours.
You are going to have to have your shooting bench up off the ground, so you are going to have to figure out what will be the cheapest way to do that! The shipping container that someone mentioned might be the way to go?? Around here they run about $500.00. So you get your container and clean the surface real good and buy moble home roof sealer and coat your top sprinkleing a light amount of sand in it so it will have a good footing. Then build a bench up there and you are ready to go.
I wish you the best.
Greg

I love the container idea...
I would tale a visit down to Rifles Only. See how they have done it. You do not need a tower like their but the berms behind the steel they have set up all over.

It's not too hard or expensive to sink a telephone pole into the ground and you could build platforms at several heights.

I have two properties with ranges built on them. One is hilly so no problem. The other is dead flat and has long grass to contend with in late spring and early summer.

On the flat one I have a berm made from a dam bank and drive away from it to increase the range. I am building more berms to shoot at and off.

I would make a large berm at one end and a smaller one at the other end. You can shoot off the smaller one at the larger one.

You could also dig a few smaller ones in between for intermediate ranges. You just need to use your imagination and spend a few dollars. The last berm I had built cost me $480 for 4 hours work by an excavator with operator.