GPS Distance Apps

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Anybody using an app to get distances for ELR targets?

Long story short, I got my Terrapin-X stolen while in it's shipping package off my front door about 2 weeks ago. I plan on shooting 1500+ yards when I get back, but I have no means of ranging that far with a LRF. My current LRF is a Leica 1600, and it just doesn't cut it.

While I'm in limbo on the Terrapin-X (working with UPS on the stolen package), I would like to shoot at distance. I've heard mention of people using GPS apps to do this - what are people using?

If you can, BallisticsARC is an easy way to get your ballistics, and your distances with your phone.

Here is my 1000 yard range. I can see my covered shooting position to the south, and up north near the lake, I can see the berm the 1000 yard steel is up against. Software gives me 1002 yards just quickly drawing it in.

1000 yards:

1000.png

Firing position:

fp.png

Targets:

target.png

Last edited:
Hi,

GeoMeasure is a pretty decent app.

Users have two options to retrieve the area of a determined space: manual measurement, which entails dropping markers on your device's screen, or measurement by GPS, which simply means the device tracks your movement as you walk the given area.

Sincerely,
Theis

Built into FFS with a Trimble.

You can walk around and save either target locations or firing points and then choose any of them at a later date. It will always give you the distance, heading and up/down angle to any of the saved locations from any of your FFP locations. All via GPS and all within a few feet from my experience.

On top of that, whichever gun/bullet/turret combination you have loaded, it will work the solution for that combination for the current selected target from the current FFP.

I just tried ballisticsArc and really enjoyed it. I also use it to pin good shooting spots that I find, but I'm just marking them using the mark target function. The distance seemed pretty accurate as my firing solutions were spot on.