Grendel recoil

Huh? Sorry dude, your recoil sensor is broken.

Edit: I spotted the 270 three extra pounds over a very light Grendel. Not even close.

IMG_3399.png

IMG_3400.png

8 lb grendel
IMG_3401.png

Last edited:
I’ve been shooting .270 Winchester since 1983 at the latest. It was the main centerfire rifle I grew up shooting, a pre-64 Mod 70 water jug vaporizer, flat-shooting plains/mountain rifle.

I’ve been shooting 6.5 Grendel since 2009, and I did own a Howa 22” sporter Grendel for a while, but I’m a filthy gas gun guy so I sold it.

I don’t notice much recoil from Grendels at all. If you have a really small/light torso, maybe it will manifest as higher perceived recoil, but in all the recoil energy calcs I’ve done, it’s usually well in the single digit ft-lbs range. Not so much with .270 Winchester. When you light off 59-62gr of powder under a 130gr at 25,000psi higher chamber pressure, you will feel it for sure.

Were you shooting hand loads or factory ammo, and what bullet weight and rifle weight are we talking about?

Even the thin-barreled sporter Howa with tiny Micro action like a SAKO Vixen is pleasant to shoot for most kids.

A guy in Alaska just saved his life with a 14.5” Howa Mini Action against a charging brown bear shooting the Cavity Back 118gr MKZ.

Geeze... How about putting your fucking purse down next time, Nancy...

The 6.5 Grendel is a tiny little cartridge that holds 30gr of powder AT MOST with a 123gr bullet... A .270 Win holds about 50-55gr of powder with a 130-150gr bullet. There is absolutely NO physical way in hell your 6.5 Grendel has more recoil than a .270 Winchester. Not just no, but hell no.

I don’t have a .270 Win, but I do have a .280 Ackley which is based on the same .30-06 parent case. And I have a 6.5 Grendel…

So here’s a nice visual aid of a 6.5 Grendel next to a .280 Ackley…

And you’re going to tell me that the little bitty cartridge on the left, has as much, or more, recoil than the cartridge on the right? 🤡🥴🤡🥴🤡

IMG_0046.jpeg

Last edited:
Whoever claimed the 6.5 grendel is low recoil is full of it. I just got a Howa mini action 6.5 and it has more recoil than my 270. That's what I get for believing manufacturer hype. Looks like I'll be buying another muzzle brake
Ok, all teasing aside, a serious question: what position are you in when you shoot and where exactly is the butt of the rifle in relation to you shoulder? Is it snug or air gapped? Something is amiss.

Reactions: Modoc
Whoever claimed the 6.5 grendel is low recoil is full of it. I just got a Howa mini action 6.5 and it has more recoil than my 270. That's what I get for believing manufacturer hype. Looks like I'll be buying another muzzle brake
I bet the recoil was so vicious the scrunchy fell out of your manbun

Geeze... How about putting your fucking purse down next time, Nancy...

The 6.5 Grendel is a tiny little cartridge that holds 30gr of powder AT MOST with a 123gr bullet... A .270 Win holds about 50-55gr of powder with a 130-150gr bullet. There is absolutely NO physical way in hell your 6.5 Grendel has more recoil than a .270 Winchester. Not just no, but hell no.

I don’t have a .270 Win, but I do have a .280 Ackley which is based on the same .30-06 parent case. And I have a 6.5 Grendel…

So here’s a nice visual aid of a 6.5 Grendel next to a .280 Ackley…

And you’re going to tell me that the little bitty cartridge on the left, has as much, or more, recoil than the cartridge on the right? 🤡🥴🤡🥴🤡

View attachment 8477939

Guess the OP never studied Newton's 3rd law of motion...

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
There is a difference between "actual recoil" and "felt recoil"

Only three things determine "actual recoil" in a non braked/non suppressed bolt action rifle.
  • weight of the bullet
  • speed of the bullet
  • weight of the rifle
To many variables to list what determines felt recoil, but I think the biggest thing is the size of the shooter's vagina!

Hey guys, I figured out the problem.
OP bought the action, not a complete rifle.

Think about it. The recoil from having the action against your shoulder instead of a proper butt pad easily explains the excessive felt recoil..

We know how to fix that.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ and Bandit320
Hey guys, I figured out the problem.
OP bought the action, not a complete rifle.

Think about it. The recoil from having the action against your shoulder instead of a proper butt pad easily explains the excessive felt recoil..

We know how to fix that.

So is this a contributing factor? If the OP isn't careful he might give all Californian's a bad name.

Screenshot_20240813_101427.jpg

Been rocking one since 2008…I usually mess with my buddies the first time they shoot it by putting in 4 rounds of .38 Spl, then 1 round of LeverEvolution .357 Mag, and set it for the last round. 😂
I practice with 38 sp and just before i leave i shoot as much hornady critical defense 357 mag as i can stand....my record was almost 20 . They are good for bad breath/hold what u got range ,just put the front sight on low center mass and detonate twice. I used to CC a 2.5 python until my wife said "i like this " ....POOOFFF it became hers . They both serve night stand duty too .

Reactions: FuhQ