Grip pressure and stock pressure on Rim fire bench-rest

axis007

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2024
texas
Playing around and learning the grip and stock pressure, I have a .22 PRS style rifle that I shoot from Bench, bipod and rear sandbag, on a scale of 1-10 , 10 being the firmest in grip pressure how hard or soft do you guys grip the grip and how much you do apply pressure toward the stock, there is no recoil , or you barely hold the rifle in place, I am experimenting , trying to get some consistency?

Like holding a beer can in your hand type grip/pressure?

None....zero.

My thumb exerts no grip pressure at all. My shoulder, bag, and bipod are holding the rifle.

Middle, ring, and pinky fingers are either maintaining some pulling force rearward to maintain rifle somewhat in the shoulder pocket or used to position the trigger finger properly. Kinda depends on just how well you have NPOA setup with the bipod and bag. (Note grip/hand position is basically the same no matter what type of position).
Screenshot_20240714_095320_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240714_094817_Facebook.jpg

Your support hand is running the rear bag to aid in position of the buttstock as well and make minor aiming adjustments by squeezing the bag.

Screenshot_20240714_095002_Facebook.jpg

An actual benchrest setup.....I've watched the shooter barely shoulder the rifle (mostly because the rules mandate it perhaps) and not have the firing hand at all touching the rifle. Commonly referred to as free recoiling the rifle. Their guns are much more mechanically supported and usually weigh much more to allow for it. The rifle will slide on rests under recoil and then pushed forward back to its initial firing position.

My eye to cheekbone spacing is very small compared to many people. Most people can't look through my setup. I like a comfortable bone on stock fitment myself for consistency. I don't use a light contact...barely there on the gun head position. I'm not crushing my face onto the stock. It's just resting there....eye is comfortably looking through the center of the optic. Not peaking up and in or crushed down and in. It shouldn't feel like chore to maintain sight picture. It's just right there when the gun fits you.

Last edited:
I apply some back pressure at the pistol grip but I keep my thumb from going round place it on a thumb rest. I do rest my cheek on the rest but do not exert much pressure there either. My rifle are fairly heavy and stabilize well.

Correct about a true BR rig, most exert the minimum pressure anywhere and let the gun recoil in a natural straight line. Many stocks actually have the cheek rest area removed so the shooter’s face does not touch the rifle. It’s all about the “Natural Point of Aim”, in other words is the rifle when in touched point at the bullseye? Will the front and rear rests allow the rifle to recoil in a perfect line? In our world we have to control the rifle a bit more, but still exert as little disturbing influence as possible.

Playing around and learning the grip and stock pressure, I have a .22 PRS style rifle that I shoot from Bench, bipod and rear sandbag, on a scale of 1-10 , 10 being the firmest in grip pressure how hard or soft do you guys grip the grip and how much you do apply pressure toward the stock, there is no recoil , or you barely hold the rifle in place, I am experimenting , trying to get some consistency?

Like holding a beer can in your hand type grip/pressure?

None....zero.

My thumb exerts no grip pressure at all. My shoulder, bag, and bipod are holding the rifle.

Middle, ring, and pinky fingers are either maintaining some pulling force rearward to maintain rifle somewhat in the shoulder pocket or used to position the trigger finger properly. Kinda depends on just how well you have NPOA setup with the bipod and bag. (Note grip/hand position is basically the same no matter what type of position).

Your support hand is running the rear bag to aid in position of the buttstock as well and make minor aiming adjustments by squeezing the bag.

View attachment 8458824

An actual benchrest setup.....I've watched the shooter barely shoulder the rifle (mostly because the rules mandate it perhaps) and not have the firing hand at all touching the rifle. Commonly referred to as free recoiling the rifle. Their guns are much more mechanically supported and usually weigh much more to allow for it. The rifle will slide on rests under recoil and then pushed forward back to its initial firing position.

My eye to cheekbone spacing is very small compared to many people. Most people can't look through my setup. I like a comfortable bone on stock fitment myself for consistency. I don't use a light contact...barely there on the gun head position. I'm not crushing my face onto the stock. It's just resting there....eye is comfortably looking through the center of the optic. Not peaking up and in or crushed down and in. It shouldn't feel like chore to maintain sight picture. It's just right there when the gun fits you.
@axis007 After reading your question I thought about the kinda OK groups I have been shooting so I went to the range today and tested different styles and pressures. I have a relatively new Savage Mark ll BTV target barreled 22LR with a Harris bipod. Note: the BTV has a thumbhole in a laminated stock. Like DOFOOSKING I found that using the left hand to manipulate the rear bag for minor vertical corrections and making sure the rifle was in direct line of the bullseye (no forcing the rifle left or right) I have stopped using the thumbhole, have my cheek ever so lightly on the stock (and may stop that after further testing) and just my right hand finger only to pull the trigger., Have cut my groups by 50%. With more time on the trigger I hope to improve that number.
My heavens, that must be the longest sentence I have ever written.....LOL

Last edited: