Group question

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I have a rem 700 vs in 243. this stock rifle shoots better than anything i have ever shot. The problem i am having from time to time is i will have two groups after 5 shots. They are side by side and all under a half inch but still side by side. The rifle will put two or three shots in the same hole but again they are just side by side. Not always but some times. This rifle i kid you not has shot 4 shot groups in th .2's regularly. What causes the separation of the groups? Lee

Re: Group question

My short answer to your question would be... it depends.

How much you tighten guard screws depends on, and, varies with the material of the stock and the screw. If the stock material is easily compressed or the guard screw easily stretches "Soft" screws, then the value of the torque settings will vary every time the rifle is reassembled and /or shot.

Again, how much torque is required? There should be enough, to keep the action from moving in the stock. Your HS stock per HS Precision should be torgued at 65 "Inch" pounds. I have personally run them from 50 to 65 "Inch" pounds on short actions with no change in the end results.

Is the scope and base secured ?

Re: Group question

Is the brass benchrest prepped? Flyers...

I skim bedded my Mcree aluminum stock on the 375CT and it helped alot.

Bouncing off the bags differently here and there.Try to put the rifle back in the same place on the bags and hold the gun the same way every time.

Steve