• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gun blowed up

Kinsman

Slacker
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2006
Dallas, Georgia
I shot a squirrel today, and he did not die right there. I sighted for a head shot and when I pulled the trigger, the round went off, I guess, out of battery. I got a face full of particles.
It is a 10-22 that I converted to 17 M2, using a E A Brown barrel.
Brand new Ruger magazine, Hornady cartridges.
There is a spring protruding from the front of the bolt. Extractor spring I'm sure. Extractor is gone to Kansas.
I had the same gun do this one time before. I replaced the extractor, and all was well. I probably fired it less than 30 rnds since that first time.
Any comments?

Re: Gun blowed up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot a squirrel today, and he did not die right there. I sighted for a head shot and when I pulled the trigger, the round went off, I guess, out of battery. I got a face full of particles.
It is a 10-22 that I converted to 17 M2, using a E A Brown barrel.
Brand new Ruger magazine, Hornady cartridges.
There is a spring protruding from the front of the bolt. Extractor spring I'm sure. Extractor is gone to Kansas.
I had the same gun do this one time before. I replaced the extractor, and all was well. I probably fired it less than 30 rnds since that first time.
Any comments? </div></div>
THIS will fix you right up. mine used to do it all the time. hasn't done it since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any comments?</div></div>

Yes, "blew" up. My rifle "blew" up. That's the only comment I have.
wink.gif

When you did the conversion did you put the heavier bolt handle in? FWIW I've heard it's fairly common with the .17M2 conversions. I've been thinking about converting one of mine but haven't yet. How many rounds did it have through it before this happened?

I think most of the places I've heard recommend against mod'ing a .22LR 10/22 to 17 by just replacing the barrel due to the bolt not being designed for the extra pressures. The guys I know that have done it have all also gone to a heavier bolt with a stronger recoil and/or hammer spring to compensate for the much sharper pressure curve and prevent firing out of battery.

Your post mentions an E A Brown barrel, did you also use their heavier bolt assembly? I know some guys are also using in addition to that a stronger magnum hammer spring.

If you aren't using at least their heavier bolt you are asking for problems.

Clark's .17HM2 conversions include a heavy hammer spring and heavy bolt handle, and maybe a heavy recoil spring. There's a reason Ruger never shipped any of these.
Scrupulous chamber hygeine is also called for.

I did use the heavy handle that came with the conversion.
All else was the same.
762 I have invested about all I can afford in this thing. No new bolt in my future.
Mike, I know the difference, just a little humor. I was, after all, Educated in Alabama.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
762 I have invested about all I can afford in this thing. No new bolt in my future.
</div></div>
well then no offense, but you will just have to live with it happening every once in a while. i had a volquartsen barrel....volquartsen trigger kit and a heavy bolt handle and recoil spring. did it every once in while....went with the volquartsen bolt and i have shot a case of ammo through it and it hasn't happened since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">762, Thanks for the information. If I hit the lottery tomorrow night, I'll do it right..... </div></div>
i shot mine for a long time without the bolt, but i just got tired of it doing it. it was just as accurate with or without it...that is to say 10 shot group could be covered with a dime at 75 yards.

You could probably call up ruger and ask for a magnum recoil spring and hammer spring for under $10 and give that a try. I'm sure midway or brownells probably sells something similar. A quick search on midway shows a power custom extra power recoil spring for $4 and extra power hammer spring for $8. I'd try that long before I'd spend $200 on the volquartsen bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could probably call up ruger and ask for a magnum recoil spring and hammer spring for under $10 and give that a try. I'm sure midway or brownells probably sells something similar. A quick search on midway shows a power custom extra power recoil spring for $4 and extra power hammer spring for $8. I'd try that long before I'd spend $200 on the volquartsen bolt. </div></div>
if he has the oversized bolt handle, he already has a heavier recoil spring.

Well, the plot thickens.
When I unloaded the magazine, I found that 5 of the rounds that I had loaded in the mag had the bullet pushed way back into the case. One was just even with the case mouth. How could that happen? Surely not from recoil. I am puzzled. This is, as I previously stated, a new magazine.
In the chamber is the fired case with the rim missing. That is no problem, just use a 22 brush and pull it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike, I know the difference, just a little humor. I was, after all, <span style="font-weight: bold">Educated in Alabama</span>. </div></div>

...easy there bro
wink.gif

dlc
Just making a statement that my level of education is probably a touch better, being from Alabama. I learned to shoot at 8, and got my first gun at 11. Still got it.
I learned to live off the land, and how to stalk game. How to sit motionless and whistle up quail.
How to build a proper campfire, and how to sit beside it and enjoy the solitude of the forest. I'm pretty well educated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any comments?</div></div>

Yes, "blew" up. My rifle "blew" up. That's the only comment I have.
wink.gif
</div></div>
LOL!!