• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Gun Grease for bolt- recommendations?

BigBrother

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2007
New England
Hey all- my bolt has gotten a little stiff on the recocking motion after a lot of dryfire, and my local smith advised greasing certain parts of the bolt. He recommended XF 7, but my usual go to source is out of stock.

Is there any gold standard in your opinion for gun grease? Something universally used or advised on here for tactical/high round count bolt rifles?

Thanks!

Re: Gun Grease for bolt- recommendations?

I like using a teflon filled grease for the lugs and a dry teflon spray for the firing spring and pin. Both from Interflon.
The dry teflon spay we used on ejector pins of an injection moulding tool as the sole lubrication, one application was good for 10000 cycles at elevated temperatures.
edi

Tetra is good, most synthetics greases are good. For extreme conditions like the desert (here) or sub freezing, I prefer dry graphite; especially for the firing mechanisms. Our extreme heat liquifies almost every grease and it drips off where I do want it and drips onto spots that I don't want it. Also, the fine desert dust is attracted to grease and causes accelerated wear. Frozen grease has stopped many hunters' rifles from firing and ruined many hunting trips.

High Temp, High Pressure, Synthetic grease. I prefer a red color to anything else. Easy to see when more is needed.

Look at Shooters Choice Gun Grease in the small syringe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madd0c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tetra Gun Grease
Absolutely the best stuff I have found. Initially was using it on an M1a and started using it on pistols now I use it on almost any metal to metal contact areas on any actions. Also does great for corrosion resistance.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=133862

madd0c </div></div>x2

Something a little more cost effective:
11bit68.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something a little more cost effective:
11bit68.gif
</div></div>

This is what I've switched over to. Good stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something a little more cost effective:
11bit68.gif
</div></div>

+2 here. Works great and is cheap compared to the prepackaged gun products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something a little more cost effective:
11bit68.gif
</div></div>

+2 here. Works great and is cheap compared to the prepackaged gun products. </div></div>

Anybody else believe that oil is a better lubricant than grease in high temp, shear force situations?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pappy42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something a little more cost effective:
11bit68.gif
</div></div>

+2 here. Works great and is cheap compared to the prepackaged gun products. </div></div>

Anybody else believe that oil is a better lubricant than grease in high temp, shear force situations? </div></div>
I don't think anyone is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pappy42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something a little more cost effective:
11bit68.gif
</div></div>

Anybody else believe that oil is a better lubricant than grease in high temp, shear force situations? </div></div>
I don't think anyone is. </div></div>

I'm not sure exactly what your response means.

Anti-sieze on the bolt lugs, nothing in the trigger, just keep it clean with brake cleaner. Never had the issue of anti-sieze running in high heat and it gets a lil hot here. I also use Militec-1 on anything semiauto. It doesnt take much, its usually on so thin that it doesnt have the weight or mass to evolve into drips or runs. As far as dust, I have yet to get enough to where it becomes excessive. By the time that happens its usually time to give the gun a good cleaning anyway.

I use Tetra Gun grease. I have a small tube that seems to be endless.

Thompson Center also markets Gorilla Grease for use on bolt lugs and raceways.

Greg

Grease is oil with a thickening agent...commonly a lithium soap. Add moly...you have a moly grease. Add HxBN and you have a HxBN grease. The "Super-Lube" stuff is a synthetic and is clear...doesn't ruin shirts and pants like the moly grease. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pappy42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something a little more cost effective:
11bit68.gif
</div></div>

No, but I also do not believe the act of a human hand closing the action on a bolt-action rifle would be one of those high temp, shear force situations.

I also use the mobil-1 but on semi-autos. It really is superb, and does everything that boutique grade greases and lubes did.

I was curious about this thread because I was taught you don't lube the bolt lugs on a precision rifle, preferring perfect, dry & repeatable metal to metal contact instead. OTOH I also don't have the sticky situation that the OP has either though.

--Fargo007

I used Tetra grease until the bolt lug galled on a Nesika stainless action. I changed to a high pressure Moly grease from Walmart and have not had another problem.

The synthetic lubricants have a wider working temperature range, which is good if you need it.

Good Shooting
Ron

I've started using Mil-Comm's TW25b after a buddy told me about it. He maintains the guns on our F-15s. Says it's the best stuff they've ever used. It's a synthetic, PTFE (teflon) product that's available in several forms; oil, grease, and mixed with alcohol.

Sig, Glock, Colt, Smith, Barrett, FN, AI, Knights, H&K, and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police use it, among others.