• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

GUNPALOOZA

1J04

Lost Squirrel
Minuteman
  • Aug 7, 2011
    PNW WA
    Reactions: 1J04
    Hi,
    What part of Texas you coming to?

Sincerely,
    Theis
    All they will tell me is somewhere in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. The pinheads that run the outfit I work for have no idea how big that area is. That's what happens when you promote someone with a liberal arts degree about 4 levels above their ability.

Hi,

If you ever down in the Houston area let me know...we can grab a drink.

I will see if I can get @1J04 to vouch for me lolol

Wish you well on that move and pinpointing a location in that geographical region lol

Sincerely,
    Theis

You're a bad young man. Hell yes I'd vouch for ya! :LOL:

All they will tell me is somewhere in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. The pinheads that run the outfit I work for have no idea how big that area is. That's what happens when you promote someone with a liberal arts degree about 4 levels above their ability.

Lemme know if you get an itch to take out some hogs or coyotes, do some distance shooting, wheeling, camping, or any of those other things East Texas is good for during the summer.

Lemme know if you get an itch to take out some hogs or coyotes, do some distance shooting, wheeling, camping, or any of those other things East Texas is good for during the summer.
    I would love to pop some pigs, and not the way Dirty D does. I have a new long range rifle that has yet to be fired, it needs a good blood letting. I will look you guys up once I get settled in down there.

It's tough to find a shot on an animal greater than 200 yards. As much as I'd like to pull a @coldboremiracle and drop a cow at 1400 yards, East Texas just ain't built for that kinda stuff. It's why most in my collection are geared for quick work in the brush, offhand shooting mostly. These guys are only about 20 yards from where the shooter would be.

2018-05-04_15-57-22.jpg

This guy had never been hunting before. He shot this hog out of the passenger window of the vehicle he was in. We were just cruising around the property at about 11:30PM drinking beer and bullshitting, hogs came out about 10 yards in front of us and his .mil training kicked in =)

same thing happened for my passenger. They both mag-dumped on the hogs. Funniest goddamn thing. He kept ranting about having a bunch of fancy long-guns in the bed of the truck, as well as some SBS's, but killed his first pig with a beater handgun. That's how it goes out here, when it comes to hunting. Small windows of time to get on target.

Dropped 3 that weekend, an 8 year old missed one. You'd figure a military firefighter wouldn't be squeamish when it came to removing the manbits on a hog he just shot, but... you'd be wrong. Backstrap tasted good in the morning, though.
    hog2.jpg

Sitting in a deer stand 20 yards from a feeder doesnt really qualify as hunting. Nothing wrong with it as my in laws live in the hill country and i do it as well it but its not really hunting. Although killing a hog with a pistol is impressive. Was it a 9 40 or 45?

9mm for both the shooters. Impressive part was my passenger (marine) shot the first hog while I was driving. Only going ~10mph, but bumpy as fuck and leaning out the passenger window of my XJ had to be pretty uncomfortable. The firefighter was in a similar situation, but had the luxury of leaning out the window of an F150.

I get where you're coming from, though. I'd have to disagree. There's more to hunting than just taking a shot, IMO. That's the easy part.

I don't personally use feeders. I scout out remote locations and find a good vantage point on trails used to move between bedding and natural feeding areas, but it's pretty much the same thing. I throw up a tree stand and am pretty successful. More good bucks this way even than hunting scrapes and rubs. Still hunting in East TX is goddamn difficult, though I have been successful at it a number of times. Usually when it's raining.

In my experience, hunting is the complete process of scouting, setting up, maintaining, harvesting, butchering, cooking, and eating whatever you harvested. It's different down here from places where you can actually see a good ways. There, you can find some tracks and some sign, and follow a thing until the conclusion even if it takes a while. Here, you can try to do the same thing, but after 1/4 mile of briars, pine, and yaupon, and a myriad of trails, it's still not clear where to go next, or where that animal might be. It's entirely probable that everything knows you're coming, too. There's no mountain you can climb to get a glimpse, cuz that shit is just as dense as everything else. Everywhere you look is dense brush, except on the roads. There's just so much shit to move through that anything you could get eyes on can hear and smell you a good while before they could even see you.

The best bet is to find a spot and hunker down. The real work isn't in taking the shot, it's doing everything that needs to be done in order to have that shot in the first place, and everything that has to be done after you take it. Doubly so if you don't drop that motherfucker where it stands. Triply so if you're bow hunting and don't drop that motherfucker where it stands.

A good many years ago a kid shot a nice doe right in the guts. That doe ran down a ravine, and by the time we finally found it, something had eaten a rear quarter and those guts were over-ripe. Had hardened LEO gagging like little girls while field dressing it, lmao. We still ate it.

That being said, some folks are old as hell, and the only convenient spots to set up for them are in areas where there isn't really much going on in terms of resources for game animals. So they throw up a feeder and hope for the best.

I feel like those folks up North and out West have it easy. 'Oh, look at that nice herd about 2.5 miles away. Let's head on off that way about a mile, then come down on that side and creep in to get a shot'...

Bunch of pansies if you ask me.

Reactions: W54/XM-388