Gunsite XLR - AAR

CoryT

Gunsite Rangemaster
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 5, 2004
    Paulden, AZ
    www.gunsite.com
    The class went very well, at the last minute the DTA crew had to reschedule to the October class, so we were down to 4, but that just gave everyone a little more room to relax and take their time during the range sessions.

Calibration and zeroing worked out to be very smooth. The camera system from Keith at http://www.TargetCam.net worked great at 1350m, even with the small antenna. We'll be adding more cameras for the October class, it really improves the ability to precisely locate hits at these distances. Using the laser boresight to calibrate scopes is very quick and painless, plus it saves expensive ammo for more useful exercises. The SiteLite SL-150 green laser works fine, even in AZ sun, though it's at its best at dusk.

Pretty much everyone settled on FFS, at least by the end of the class. We run it on a Trimble Nomad, but no matter what PDA you choose, at some point power becomes an issue. FFS has a feature to output the trajectory tables in 500' or 1000' density altitude bands as a CSV file, which I then load in Excel to format and print, then laminate as backups to the PDA going down totally. While Trimble has a 12v accessory plug charger that you can use in your car (or in my case, off the quad), what if you are in the field for a while with no access to power? How many spare battery packs do you want to carry?

In my case, I've settled on an Anker Astro3 external 10,000mAh battery, which will recharge the Nomad twice. A Nomad7 solar panel from GoalZero charges the Astro3, plus there is a charger for 4 AA batteries, and three will run the Nomad using the optional battery holder. For practical purposes, I can run this system for weeks in the field with no concerns about having access to an outlet.

We are working on the possibility of doing this class on the East Coast, at a W. Va. location. If you have any interest in taking this class back East, please send me a PM and I'll put you on the contact list. I'm teaming up with Ashbury Precision Ordnance on this and another project, a .375 CT system that looks pretty promising. Captech/Jaimison is on board to produce ammunition to spec, the rifle is on its way to me for final long range testing and load development (you can see it here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ashbury-Precision-Ordnance/131725820215093?fref=ts ).

Another nice reason to use FFS is the ability to GPS locate targets and FFP's. This feature is very handy when you revisit a shooting location. It's now possible to export the location files from FFS to programs like OziExplorer, or import a location file for use as a target or FFP. OziExplorer has a CE version I'm running on the Nomad, and you can link a waypoint to a .jpg, so I'm taking photographs of the targets from each FFP, linking the photo to the waypoint and when you are in the field, you can used the photo to help orient yourself to the range and targets you have stored in FFS. Pretty cool.

PR Urban starts Monday, then its a week of high speed filming for the next season of Gun Stories. More sunscreen please. Nothing like keeping busy here at Gunsite.

Last edited:
    And one more question, how many would be interested in an XLR II? Something like three days, one day on the calibration ranges, one day on the practical ranges here at Gunsite and then one day at a nearby location with 1500' or so more elevation and far different terrain/targets?

This was a GREAT class, Cory. Challenging, humbling, rewarding. Thanks for your great leadership and instruction and to Walt for all his expertise and assistance.
    XLR II - interested, but may need to build my wallet back up first. :-]] But, it will be an eventuality that I receive more of the Gunsite experience.

I cannot shower enough praise on this course. If you have not shot it, put it in your training plan.

And one more question, how many would be interested in an XLR II? Something like three days, one day on the calibration ranges, one day on the practical ranges here at Gunsite and then one day at a nearby location with 1500' or so more elevation and far different terrain/targets?

I'm interested. Mid October would work for me. I could probably drag Tom Olson along too, but we'd have to make special considerations to allow him to drive his truck to and from the FFP's. The back of the range truck dusty rides "ain't him."

One idea - think it was Tom's - was to move the daily lunches out to the firing lines to lessen the round trip truck bed rides. And the fucking dust intake.... Whoever idea this was I think it's a good one.