• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmith to finish ream AR barrel?

JW762

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2023
oklahoma
Edit: got it mailed to a smith today, thanks.

Hi folks, I could use a recommendation on who to send my barrel to. Unfortunately, my local smith who I trusted in OK recently retired. I have a very low round count stainless .223 Wylde AR barrel from a reputable mfg that's been shelved for a few years because it was exhibiting some possible overpressure signs. After the second blown primer and a stuck live round, I stopped. I just put the gun in the safe as I didn't have time to mess with it. Took a close look at it recently. A number of new reputable mil-spec AR bolts(BCM, Geissele, Microbest, Sionics) will not close on a go gauge. The unknown MFG bolt that was originally in the gun I bought did close on a go gauge, and I noted that it has short lugs compared to the others I measured. Bore scope shows a few tiny impact spots (craters with raised outer burrs) in shoulder area that I'm assuming are from debris getting thrown around/stuck during reaming. Not sure if that minor peening is the entirety of the issue, or if the chamber is also short. Match rounds and a function gauge manually dropped into the chamber will stick and need a very slight push with bore rod to remove. I was tempted to try one of those bore hones, but know that ain't a precision instrument. No luck getting in touch with MFG and since I've had possession of it for so long, not sure if they'd help anyway. I'd rather send to a good smith. Thanks!

Last edited:
If you let us know where you are , maybe someone can ID a known smith near you. If you let us know what the barrel is we can help you determine if it is worth it (smith set rate, plus postage both ways ($80-100))