Gunsmithing Gunsmithing & Jewell trigger for an M99 in .416

Godbullet

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2012
Tx
Howdy all,

I am interested in building a Barrett M99 Cal .416 and want to do all manner of things to improve it's accuracy even further above and beyond stock. It's a pity that since I want to build this in the next few months, I have to get the single shot M99 and not the M82.

1) Can I get a gunsmith to put a jewell trigger calibrated down to 2 lbs on my M99?
2) Are there gunsmiths out there who will true up the action on an M99. Does anyone make custom trued actions for the Barretts? I considered getting a Tac .416 because the Tac .50 is more accurate than the .50 M99. However, the Tac .416 is a bit pricey for my budget.
3) Would bedding the barrel be an option on a M99?
4) I've heard Krieger barrels are top of the line with custom builds. When I went to their website they have a .416 barrel. Will that be compatible with my M99? or could a gunsmith be able to make that work? There seems to be little on gunsmithing for the .416 Barrett that I could find. And any answers would be appreciated.

Re: Gunsmithing & Jewell trigger for an M99 in .416

Ok wow were to begin. Lets do this in order.
1. A jewel trigger is not the most robust trigger in the world and you are wanting to put it into a 50. The jewel triggers were designed for much lower pull weights that 2lbs and you could find many better solutions on the market for that.
2.Barret barrels are pressed into a welded tube style receiver so no you can't true or pretty much alter in anyway.
3.The barrett rifles are made on welded tube style receiver and there is next to nothing you can do to them to change them. No you can't bed the rifle.
4.Most gunsmiths won't do work on Barretts as it voids their warranty and they do have a nice one. Plus again there isn't much you can do to them.
And now in your first statement you stated you want to build a Barrett, then you said you want it in the next few months so you couldn't go with the M82. If you can afford the M82 but not a Tac50 which you could actually do all the above things to then how do you figure as the m82 is more expensive. You could get a TAC50 from mcmillian and it wouldn't need any of the things you mentioned accept maybe a trigger and that is a big maybe. Not to mention that if it was possible to do all the work you wanted done to the m99 you would have invested more money into it than it is worth. Essentially burning money in a recession in large quantity for no good reason. My recommendation is do a bunch more research and think on what you really want in a big bore before making a purchase. At least 2 months unless you can do hours of dedicated learning and research a night on the subject. There are just way to many gaps in what you appear to know about what you want to purchase here. Best of luck and I am dead serious about doing a bit more research into this first.

Hey thanks devil dog. Yes, I don't know much about this. I don't want a Tac .50 I want the .416, and yes there is a Tac .416. I think while nice, they are a bit overpriced. However, they do come with a jewell trigger. It appears I would be better served in waiting longer and affording the Tac .416 to which I could do all manner of things gunsmithing. That is interesting to note about the barrett warrenty. I will do better research. Thank you leatherneck. And from one Marine to another Semper Fi.

Aww heck I don't play the services game anymore. When the you know what hits the fan you want someone who's first two initials are U.S. _____ cause that man will bleed red, white, and blue. I guess the forum uses Marine Corps ranks for posters. Anyway thank you but I have decided after some study to have Jered Joplin at APA make the weapon for me. He is a great guy and there is absolutely nothing negative about his work. I think I finally found the right guy for this project. Thanks though soldier
wink.gif