Handloading Hornaday 750grn A-Max For M82a1

LineofDeparture

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2011
New Roads, La
Has anyone been able to seat the Hornaday a-max 750 deep enough for mag feed loads in an M82a1? I haven't started to load yet for my m82 however Im getting ideas on where i want to go with it. I know i will not be buying military surplus ammo. I prefer to make my own. and i don't plan on pushing the envelope with over 200 grains of powder near my face......

Re: Handloading Hornaday 750grn A-Max For M82a1

Make sure you have some realistic expectations on your M82 on it's accuracy.
To answer your question, you can load the 750 AMax to a COAL short enough to fit in the M82 mag. There are lots of folks who have used Hornady's factory loaded 750 A-Max ammo in the M82.
This is a pretty good thread on the topic:
http://barrettrifles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2271

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50APIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure you have some realistic expectations on your M82 on it's accuracy.
To answer your question, you can load the 750 AMax to a COAL short enough to fit in the M82 mag. There are lots of folks who have used Hornady's factory loaded 750 A-Max ammo in the M82.
This is a pretty good thread on the topic:
http://barrettrifles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2271 </div></div>

I have real expectations of accuracy with the M82..im aware one can not completely polish a turd..However i would like to improve it a bit , 2moa is better than 4... My M82 is mine for mere destruction... and well cause i got it on a real good deal and i would have been an idiot to pass it up...

So i figured id try finding a pet load for it... Ive handloaded everything up to 338 lapua... this is my first 50 venture.. Thank you for the response and the link.

I run them in front of 213 grains of wc870 with fairly descent results, but I've had great luck with M8 bullets in front of the same charge.

We've seen multiple 1 minute groups at 500,(with M8 bullets) although some folks here think the Barrett is junk, I think the ammo has been a multiplying factor in the game.

Same as shooting a rack AR with m193 ammo, it's a 5 minute gun on almost any given day, The 82 will carry it's weight if you want to run the ammo price to the moon.

I'm into sub one dollar ammo, so I have to run the m8 myself.

PM me if you want some info.

sean