• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Handloading log app reccomendation.

Halfnutz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Jan 14, 2008
    Peoria County, Illinois
    Does any one use an app as a log book for handloading that they would recommend?

Not interested in a laptop. I don't want to deal with excel.
    Would like to be able to do a back up or to transfer data to another device.

I've found a couple in play store.
    Curious what others like or use.

Always felt too constrained by 'apps'. Either they wanted info I didn't care about, or didn't have a spot for info I did care about, so I ended up sticking things in the notes/comments sections.

Been using Google Docs & Sheets (I know, I know) for a while now. Docs for the 'narrative' log (what I did, and why), and Sheets for the data entry tables. Pretty easy to embed 'live' tables or charts from the spreadsheets, along with target images, etc. into the document when and where appropriate. Have to do most of the 'heavy' work from a laptop, so probably not ideal for the OP's wants/needs, but it is easily accessible from a smart phone or tablet out in the shop or at the range, which is a large part of what I like about it.

RAD Development

Haven't used it

@Halfnutz I have made spreadsheets for load data and results so I can enter on my iphone. It works and I can share with others. But UI is a spreadseet.

But I prefer making database apps for load and shooting results using Filemaker Pro. You the install Filemaker Go on the iphone for free, and import the app to run the databases on the iphone. It’s the best solution, very slick and can be customized. But I already have the software and make databases in my job. FileMaker is great, but it has gotten too expensive for many.

Otherwise, I make a form, print on Rite As Rain paper, and put in my dope notebook. Still a great option and you get what you want.

Reactions: Halfnutz and simonp
    old school: 3-ring binder, lined paper with reinforced holes and a pencil. I track original shoulder, sized shoulder length and the shim required to make that happen. The sized neck, expanded neck ID, and the expander. Fired case length, trimmed-to length and the shim it took to make it happen. The powder and bullet. Entries are dated. After range session I write out the conditions, rounds fired, the training I did, results, and lessons learned.

It is hard to sort and/or search. That said, I have standard loads. All I really need from previous data are the shims used for sizing and trim and the exact powder charges. If I am playing with loads, I put the notes into the book. The advantage is it is free form. I am not constrained by column widths or heights or field lengths or forms. I can organize however needed. I can color mark pages for different calibers and weapons. By the way, I can read my own handwriting.