• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Handloading with Dillon RL500B for 308?

MaverickNH

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2010
Bedford, NH
While I tacked on this question at the bottom of the Reloading 101 sticky, it hasn't gotten any attention so I've posted it here.

I'm new to reloading. Reading the Reloading 101 thread, I get the impression that handloading 308 for precision rifle might not be done right with a unit such as a Dillon RL500B press. Do I gather correctly that the quality is not controlled well enough with such a press to achieve desired load accuracy and precision?

What would be the expected limitations and performance against, say, factory Federal 175 Gold Match BTHP?

Re: Handloading with Dillon RL500B for 308?

Do a search on the name John Whidden.

He's a 3 time NRA long range champion. He loads everything he shoots on a modified dillon. If it's good enough for him, I guarantee it will be good enough for you.

Check out the shellplates he makes for the 550. They will help with alignment and accuracy issues.

The difference between the article Terry points out is that all the competition shooters that I know using progressive presses for rifle loading weigh or throw their charges seperately and drop it into a funnel die.

The dillon powder measure is not used for accurate rifle loads.

I've been using a RL550B for the past 2 years and i agree with lumpy grits....it's the first press ive ever owned and i love it... you just need to keep learning your craft and be specific about what YOU want to achieve... your press wont be what holds you back! your brain will!
smile.gif
the learning never stops!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PolishHandgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try loading some ammo using your 550B and compare it with the same components loaded with a single stage press;. </div></div>

That's the missing bit - I don't have a press yet but am planning to get in on the group buy for Dillon RL550B if I can get a quote back.

I do not use the Dillon PM for "Match" loads for most rifles(.308)as I use Varget for that and Varget meters like toothpicks. I do use the Dillon PM for .223 as I use H-335 and it meters great.
I have also used this press for loading match grade black powder rounds for both of my Shiloh Sharps rifles(.45-70 & .45-90)again I do NOT use the Dillon PM for this.
Cheers,
LG

+1 on the Dillon for reloading 308. I did a lot of reading here on the Hide as well as from LTRDavid. LTR David's site

Here is what I have on the tool head:
#1 Forster Bump Bushing die and Priming
#2 Powder dump funnel. I use a Chargemaster to manually dump powder.
#3 Forster Micro Seater
#4 Lee Crimp die (if needed)

I also use a Lee turret press with a Forster Full length sizer and Lee De-capping die. Or you can use another tool head on the 550b.

DSC_3343.jpg

DSC_3341.jpg

So if I want to load precise .308 ammo then later crank out pistol ammo in some quantity, am I better off going with something like a 550 or just stick with a CoAx?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MaverickNH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's the missing bit - I don't have a press yet but am planning to get in on the group buy for Dillon RL550B if I can get a quote back. </div></div>

Check the thread in the group buy section - the group buy was canceled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onlyfineknives</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a search on the name John Whidden.

Check out the shellplates he makes for the 550. They will help with alignment and accuracy issues. </div></div>

His Shell Plates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MaverickNH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's the missing bit - I don't have a press yet but am planning to get in on the group buy for Dillon RL550B if I can get a quote back. </div></div>

Check the thread in the group buy section - the group buy was canceled. </div></div>

Well that purely sucks! Maybe I'll just go with a Lee Classic Cast single-stage press. The volume of 308 I would be producing won't be that great. The RL550B looks great but I can't afford to shoot or reload enough to justify 300rd/hr anyway.

i have a dillon 650 and a rockchucker. i am going to get the stripped down 550 for the 308 etc. it will be still manual, but not having to reset dies will be nice. and dillon has them for i think 259. not bad for a good turret press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MaverickNH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I'll just go with a Lee Classic Cast single-stage press.</div></div>

Have you looked at something like the Lyman T-Mag setup? It's MSRP shows $500+ but I've seen them for around $300 across the net. It's not as nice of a setup as the Dillon but it's got to be better than the Lee stuff. Things are generally cheap for a reason and Lee seems to be the cheapest (cost wise) reloading stuff there is.

I don't own any reloading stuff yet, so I've been checking things out and trying to at least hit "middle of the road" in value and performance. The turret system looks like it would be nice to have when you want to save some time, but not as spendy as the progressive reloaders.

And I'm not trying to step on any toes for those of you that have Lee stuff and enjoy it - I'm sure that they have some stuff that works great for some.