• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hanging AR500 gongs from my target holder

wahoowad

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Virginia
I have a rebar-based target holder I use at my gun club's rifle range. It's maybe 4' wide. Most of my AR500 targets are hung by chains and S-hooks but they usually start walking down the crossbar one way or the other and eventually slide into other hanging gongs. It happens more with my smaller gongs as they jump and twist more from hits than the heavier 6" and 8" gongs. Any suggestions for trying to keep the chains in place?

IMG-2827.jpg

I use fire hose and have washers welded to the rebar.
I like hose way better than chain for hanging targets.

Do you find the heavy firehose dampens the ring from a hit on the gong? I feel like my gongs on chain ring a lot louder than the ones I hang using this heavy duty conveyor belt material. At one point I switched to the conveyor belt material because chains inevitably get shot to pieces.

Replace the cross bar with #8 rebar or better and you won’t have to worry about this.

How so? The jumping of the gongs (the chain really) has more to do with the slack introduced when the gong gets hammered and not the flex in the rebar I've chosen. I have considered thicker rebar just to eliminate the flex but my current stand won't accept the thicker rebar without rework, and I have to hump all this steel to the end of the range and I have to make 2 trips if it gets any heavier (also carrying a bucket with my gongs, chains, etc.)

How so? The jumping of the gongs (the chain really) has more to do with the slack introduced when the gong gets hammered and not the flex in the rebar I've chosen. I have considered thicker rebar just to eliminate the flex but my current stand won't accept the thicker rebar without rework, and I have to hump all this steel to the end of the range and I have to make 2 trips if it gets any heavier (also carrying a bucket with my gongs, chains, etc.)
Perhaps you are right. I’m not a mechanic engineer but it makes sense to me that if the crossbar isn’t moving as much then target will move less as you are removing one movement from the system.