Happiness is...

Rocketmandb

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2018
    IMG_1132.jpg

The last shot...

To me....happiness is getting home and finding out all my primer pockets are still good.

This was a good day because:

- I finally validated my node in this thing (2875 fps - 6 SD)
    - I made the shot of a lifetime at 2043 yards - I mean dead, freaking center on a 3/4" tube EDIT 1" OD tube:

IMG_1134.jpg

Not shown in the above picture is the ant that was crawling up the pole...that was the point of aim :) He went splat.

Actually, he jumped on the bullet when it bounced off.

Seriously, never hit the target stand at this range - still surprised it didn't penetrate.

Berger 230

EDIT: Much lower muzzle velocity too. I'm not batshitcrazy like you are :)

Currently testing Berger 245 EOL's at 2860fps....in a 29.5" Bartlein....Hopefully get back the 1 mile range next week...interested in untouched bullets vs the ones I'm uniform trimmed the meplat and re-tipped with the Hoover die. I'm looking for whatever edge I can on vertical spread. RL-26 and FED 215M's have me some stupid low ES/SD's for a friggin 30cal magnum.

Currently testing Berger 245 EOL's at 2860fps....in a 29.5" Bartlein....Hopefully get back the 1 mile range next week...interested in untouched bullets vs the ones I'm uniform trimmed the meplat and re-tipped with the Hoover die. I'm looking for whatever edge I can on vertical spread. RL-26 and FED 215M's have me some stupid low ES/SD's for a friggin 30cal magnum.

Now that I've finally got my 230s set, I'm going to play with the 245s next - thanks to you...

My first 15ish shots on my 230 load came in at 4.2, then fell off later. I think if I'd let the barrel cool it would have been better than the 6 I ended up with.

Also, how did you end up on seating depth with the 245s?

Well...sit down...you ain't going to believe this. I loaded the 245's in the same Sinclair/LE Wilson arbor press seating die as the 230 A-Tips....which were 20 thou off the wall of the MDT 300PRC CIP mag......these Bergers FIT in the mag and operate good. So...mag length....shot a few 1/2" groups....moved the barrel tuner from the #4 mark to the Zero mark to start...shot slightly under a 1/2"...called it good. The powder load is the exact same as the 230's. 75.0 gr of RL-26 in ADG brass. 230 A-Tips shot 2880fps on a cold day......245 EOL's shot 2860 with the same powder load a few minutes later....bam....done.....will have to check for pressure when it warms up and that velocity starts creeping up.

Greatest thing about exact measuring of powder in a AutoTrickler V3.....is skipping the velocity node testing...just go straight to finding a speed you like without pressure....and then doing seating depth testing.....Initially with the 230's I treated every mark on my barrel tuner as about 5 thou of seating depth...seemed to work for this round, this bullet, the barrel, this powder, this primer......yada yada.

Show more respect to the Hide's leading Brass Abuser. B2lee's not batshit crazy, he's just addicted to primer pocket abuse.

Actually...after several visits from the SPCB I've started to tame it down a bit.... The SPCB is the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Brass.

Over the last 2-3 years I've had to UNLEARN a lot of what I've been doing for decades. We finally have tools that can measure things more exact. Now I understand the WHY certain things work...and other things don't work. I've stopped doing things that don't work...or are actually detrimental to success. I've pushed boundries and found points of failure...and pulled back 10% and then look at the problems from a different angle.

I've accomplished so many of the personal goals I set for myself years ago...some were pipe dreams then...and now they are normal. 1 MOA target at 1mile...and hit on command....or atleast within 2-3 sighters and then hit on command? Hard....very hard...but accomplished. Dreams of hitting a 2k yard target...done.....2500yd target...done....now dreaming bigger....now thinking of the next project rifle that will be my 2000 to 4000 yard rifle.

It's such a great time to be shooting ELR....and only getting better.

Reactions: TripleBull
    I second everything in this thread. Titties, scotch, smoke, guns, all of it. If I could get a weekend with everything in close proximity I’d be one happy bastard