• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hart Barrels

bluehunter30-06

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
CA, USA
I am looking at putting a 26" Hart Barrel with a 1 in 9 twist on my 30-06 (I use this rifle for EVERYTHING.) I was wondering if anyone had any expirence with these barrels. Are they reliable?

I read their info and liked the fact they are a 1 pull process, not drilled and re drilled. Just looking for some feedback before I go and throw my hard earned at a new stick.

Re: Hart Barrels

Hart is a very reputable barrel company. I don't own one myself but from what I've seen they are very good barrels. The only down side is that they are button rifled. Cut rifling is more precise and induces less stress on the barrel during the rifling process. I use a Bartlein which is cut rifled. Most builders are using Bartlein these days. Kreiger, Brux, and Shilen are also really good

Great barrels. I have been using them for 40 years on bench rest rigs, deer rifles, and varmint rigs. I have never had a bad Hart or Kreiger barrel. Just make certain you have the best person you can find to do the fitting and chambering for you.

accuracy is accuracy and Hart makes as accurate a barrel as they come. I have cut barrels that are great but there ain't anything wrong with a buttoned barrel provided it's done right and Hart does it right.

I have three rifles with Hart barrels all shoot under 1/2 MOA. On a windless day one shot a 3 in shoot group at 1000 yards. The shooting Gods were with me that day. Two of them were installed by Hart.

i got one for my 25/06 and my gunsmith still has it in the shop to be installed but i got mine after seeing how my friends gun shoots with a hart barrel and they seem to be great.

Hart is a very reputable barrel company. I don't own one myself but from what I've seen they are very good barrels. The only down side is that they are button rifled.

Some of the stuff you read on the e-net makes me want to scream!! Its down right not true, and there isnt a dam thing wrong with a buttoned rifled barrel from someone that knows how to make them and beleieve me Hart knows how to make a barrel!! Some of the top benchrest shooters in the world, shoot Hart Barrels. ever heard of mike ratigan? ya the guy with the book. he only shoots hart barrels in his 22ppc .100 short. He is a world team shooter as well!! Must not be much of a down side to his hart barrels!! Unbeleivable!!! Lee

I had a Hart barrel on a .308 that shot as well as my rifles with Shilen and Rock barrels. I sold it with less then 1000 rounds through it, so I can say anything about expected life, but it settled in after 25 or 30 rounds and was a tack driver from there on out. Not as easy to clean as the Rock barrel i have, but after a hundred rounds went through it, the Hart was on par with the Shilen select match.

I had Hart rebarrel a rifle for me last year. The gun will shoot a 1 hole 5 shot group at 100 yards. They have great customer service also. I am about to order another build from them.

Thanks guys. I am new to this, does button rifling and cut rifling really make that big of a difference in the cleaning process? And is 20-30 rounds average for a barrel to settle in? I have always shot my dads rifles and now military rifles, both are WELL broken in. This will be my first real new rifle. I want to make sure I do this right, I plan on using it for the rest of my life.

Hart makes fantastic barrels that shoot as well as anything that you will find on the market.

They are a small family operation that has been in business for a long time and are very friendly to deal with.

Don't get caught up in the button vs. cut rifled crap.

Purchase and shoot in confidence with their barrels! I have 3 and think they are fantastic!

Brian

I have a hart barrel on my 308 1-10 twist 26inch with break with my reloads i was able to shoot .856 3 shot group at 600 yds THE GUNSMITH INSTALLING HAS A LOT TO DO WITH HOW WELL IT WILL SHOOT .. I would look for a smith who was a machinist before a smith ...just my 2 cents

I started using Hart barrels because my Departed old friend who got me reloading and taught me a lot along the way had a Hart that shot great..My brother had his rifle re barreled in 7mm mag and it shot great. I have had my rifles barreled with Hart and love how they shoot..Never seen a Hart shoot bad to date. Bill krazinski is a local long time Hart barrel shooter who used to compete regularly...