Has anyone else found the Area 419 Zero Reloading Press Secret Accessory Primer Prison Pocket (A419 ZRPSAPPP)?

n00g7

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2019
CTX
If you're ever working the ram on your 419 and the press seizes, the Zero Reloading Press Secret Accessory Primer Prison Pocket, or ZRPSAPPP (you know how much the people love acronyms), is probably cram full and you'll need to search for it like a customs agent on an inbound flight from Bogota. You will find zero information out there about the ZRPSAPPP, but I am here to tell you it's real.

IMG_6485.jpeg

BEHOLD THE ZRPSAPPP! Nestled in-between the front two mounting screw holes, covered up in secret, it's right there waiting to fuck up your day when/if it fills up with primers. I have been told this is a secret feature.

Has anyone else discovered the ZRPSAPPP from their press bricking itself?

Your telling me... There really is a third hole?

Yes, if you’re ramming away and it gets stuck, remove the member and root around in the 3rd hole until clear, then insert the member again to hammer away for an indeterminate period of time until you must repeat.

Wild thread - but it's for sure there. Well, it was.

That hole is on several thousand presses, and was initially there to be a place that gunk could be disposed. "Trash chute" is our internal term.

What we have found over time though is that sometimes a primer that is drawn back into the case (buy a spring-loaded decapper, regardless of press, and thank me later) will finally release when you remove the case from the shellholder, and it can fall down in there, eventually causing a problem.

So, any press made in the last few months is actually not without the hole.

The more you know...

Also, @Mgordon is a babe, I'll take the compliment

buy a spring-loaded decapper, regardless of press, and thank me later
That would increase the number of press ops, which would make me sad.

When did y’all remove the primer prison pocket?

That hole is on several thousand presses, and was initially there to be a place that gunk could be disposed. "Trash chute" is our internal term.

Chute would imply an outlet without a colonoscopy, it’s more like the secret trash abyss, like a house on an episode of hoarders.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NiteQwill
That would increase the number of press ops, which would make me sad.

When did y’all remove the primer prison pocket?
Unless you're using one of our Sizing dies, with the spring-loaded decapping feature built in ;)

Earlier this year, maybe March/April? Like a few little changes and "upgrades" to the press over time, we haven't made a big deal on the little iterations. Products can constantly improve without us wearing you out. We consider the ZERO the best on the market, and we are keeping it that way at every opportunity.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
Unless you're using one of our Sizing dies, with the spring-loaded decapping feature built in ;)

Earlier this year, maybe March/April? Like a few little changes and "upgrades" to the press over time, we haven't made a big deal on the little iterations. Products can constantly improve without us wearing you out. We consider the ZERO the best on the market, and we are keeping it that way at every opportunity.

I’m not, because they didn’t exist when I replaced everything with SAC dies. A new press and then burning some money for warmth would make more sense than spending $3,000+ on dies that do the same thing but for being spring loaded, if current iterations of the press indeed no longer have the prison pocket.

A spring loaded die would seemingly at best reduce the potential, there’s no guarantee the prison pocket won’t get filled.

The prison pocket is a negative as originally implemented because no mounting solution accounted for its existence, which was all that was needed.

Reactions: NiteQwill
I’m not, because they didn’t exist when I replaced everything with SAC dies. A new press and then burning some money for warmth would make more sense than spending $3,000+ on dies that do the same thing but for being spring loaded, if current iterations of the press indeed no longer have the prison pocket.

A spring loaded die would seemingly at best reduce the potential, there’s no guarantee the prison pocket won’t get filled.

The prison pocket is a negative as originally implemented because no mounting solution accounted for its existence, which was all that was needed.
It can certainly fill - it was intended to. It can also keep a trapped primer or loose debris from digging into the linear bearing.

Though I'll keep saying, it's something we've chosen to remove.

Rather than doubling down on a design choice that may not have been ideal for everyone, we changed the design in some test units, and when the result was positive, we made a change. It was a small change (kind of like there is now a new long hole up the back that allows a stuck turret detent bearing to be blown/pushed out) that we didn't charge more for or make a big deal of. Just worked it into production because it was the right move.

It can certainly fill - it was intended to. It can also keep a trapped primer or loose debris from digging into the linear bearing.

First time I learned of its existence was when the ram seized a few months ago and I ripped the press apart the night before nightforce ELR. Figured I was crazy and mention of it must exist somewhere - nope - found zero information relative to the hole.

So, now if someone else’s ram seizes (has happened to at least one other person I know), hopefully they’ll know to check the secret hole.

This is also the first I’ve learned that the hole is now gone. I inquired about the secret hole after my discovery of it a few months ago and there was no mention in those communications that the hole had been removed from recent production.

Is there a way to easily tell whether or not a press will have a secret hole if I order a new one, say from brownells, without physically checking the press?

Rather than doubling down on a design choice that may not have been ideal for everyone, we changed the design in some test units, and when the result was positive, we made a change. It was a small change (kind of like there is now a new long hole up the back that allows a stuck turret detent bearing to be blown/pushed out) that we didn't charge more for or make a big deal of. Just worked it into production because it was the right move.
How much can I pay you to add it back in
First time I learned of its existence was when the ram seized a few months ago and I ripped the press apart the night before nightforce ELR. Figured I was crazy and mention of it must exist somewhere - nope - found zero information relative to the hole.

So, now if someone else’s ram seizes (has happened to at least one other person I know), hopefully they’ll know to check the secret hole.

This is also the first I’ve learned that the hole is now gone. I inquired about the secret hole after my discovery of it a few months ago and there was no mention in those communications that the hole had been removed from recent production.

Is there a way to easily tell whether or not a press will have a secret hole if I order a new one, say from brownells, without physically checking the press?
Ask Brownells if it’s the limited edition holy press

No, there is not. Again, it's something that negatively impacts a VERY small number of people.

If it's a big deal to you, shoot an email to [email protected] and we can change an internal part to block off the chute. You'll have to pack it up, and it may take us a couple days, but we will send you labels for the freight.

Reactions: Baron23
No, there is not. Again, it's something that negatively impacts a VERY small number of people.

If it's a big deal to you, shoot an email to [email protected] and we can change an internal part to block off the chute. You'll have to pack it up, and it may take us a couple days, but we will send you labels for the freight.
Thank you RCBS I knew you would take care of it 🙏🏻

My hole was impacted and it negatively affected me.

You had me at a way for you to fill my hole internally. Why didn’t you lead with that!?

Thanks Craig!

• Wow
Reactions: howler

Craig Hornady can I sign up for this my press looks like Swiss cheese, do you ship to France????

• Haha
Reactions: Meety Peety
I guess I don’t really understand the geometry of this. I’m look on my buddy’s when next at his house.

Cheers

There is (was) a diagonal channel from the hole in the picture to inside the area where the ram rides, and at the bottom of the stroke of the ram, the primer drop hole in the ram lines up with this secondary primer drop hole. Pieces of primer and gunk may fall out and eventually fill it up because the exit is covered when the press is mounted.

It’s difficult to see the inlet unless you remove the ram.

Reactions: Baron23
There is (was) a diagonal channel from the hole in the picture to inside the area where the ram rides, and at the bottom of the stroke of the ram, the primer drop hole in the ram lines up with this secondary primer drop hole. Pieces of primer and gunk may fall out and eventually fill it up because there is no exit. It’s difficult to see the inlet unless you remove the ram.
have you tried short stroking your $1,400 press to work around the design? I mean honestly this sounds like a YOU problem and not a Hornady/Craig problem

My hole was impacted and it negatively affected me.

You had me at a way for you to fill my hole internally. Why didn’t you lead with that!?

Thanks Craig!
Attorney says I can't promise to stuff your holes online, so I wont. Though he did say I could leave the hole there but close it up on one side and act like it's not there, it's more woke. So that's what we will do.

Ok, back to spending my days doing awesome shit, much to the chagrin of Howler.

Love you all. Actually, not true, but I genuinely appreciate some of you!

Attorney says I can't promise to stuff your holes online, so I wont. Though he did say I could leave the hole there but close it up on one side and act like it's not there, it's more woke. So that's what we will do.

Ok, back to spending my days doing awesome shit, much to the chagrin of Howler.

Love you all. Actually, not true, but I genuinely appreciate some of you!
I like spicy Craig. We need more of spicy Craig.