• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Has anyone modified an AW mag for extension?

Hey man, I figured out how to get 6br to work in aics mags about 8 or 9yrs ago. This one is up to you, lol. In all seriousness, slicing the weld, Longer spring and tigging another bottom half of an aw mag on is all I got. Cant you run aics mags in your 3 lug, I can in my axiom.

Heh! Yeah, I’ve got a vector and I run my BR’s in AICS mags at the moment and don’t have a problem (for the most part. I still have some issues when putting hard pressure on the mags). Just wondering. It’d Be nice to have the AW advantages but not have to change mags in a 12 round stage. I assume there is some sort of patent thing going on since there are no clones out there to improve on them (that I know of).

Wondering about this. I know the bottoms are welded, but it would be so nice if someone cracked the code an was able to get more rounds in there.
Not enough sugar for your dime.

The modifications you would have to make to the base AW product for it to even start to accept an aftermarket kit would make it a poor decision. You would be much more efficient and cost effective to just make an extended version from scratch.

I have no clue about patents on the AW mag layout but I am guessing that is not the issue. Rather the issue would be the fairly substantial setup cost to produce a slightly extra capacity version of a magazine that already has a very limited niche in a relatively small market.

The actual need for a capacity over 10 would be a really small percentage of current match stages. The few 12 round stages likely have a 2 or 3 second break you could fit a mag change into.

Anybody sitting on $ capitol and looking to make a dollar off of this would likely review the above and elect to pass on pulling that trigger.

./

Last edited:
Reactions: Grog11

Reactions: lash and FUNCTIONAL

I modified my belt with a pouch and an extra mag.

Gave me 10 extra rounds. ?‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: kindabitey
There is a SH user that has done it, and has a 419 (or similar) mag extension working on a factory AW mag.

Rumor has it there's an aftermarket mag in work (10+2 or 12 rd, I'm not sure). I don't know any details or if/when it's really going to come out.

The match I shot a couple weekends ago had a bunch of 12 round stages, and although I generally get by with 2 factory AW mags with 10 rds each, timing out with 1 or 2 rounds left to shoot after spending even 2-3 seconds on a mag change, it can matter.

Personally I'd love to have one 12-rd mag for match shooting to use in conjunction with my normal AW mags.

Reactions: Grog11
There is a SH user that has done it, and has a 419 (or similar) mag extension working on a factory AW mag.

Pretty sure it is the Seekins +2 or just the flared baseplate, which looks to be discontinued and Altus took over.

Rumor has it there's an aftermarket mag in work (10+2 or 12 rd, I'm not sure). I don't know any details or if/when it's really going to come out.

The match I shot a couple weekends ago had a bunch of 12 round stages, and although I generally get by with 2 factory AW mags with 10 rds each, timing out with 1 or 2 rounds left to shoot after spending even 2-3 seconds on a mag change, it can matter.

Personally I'd love to have one 12-rd mag for match shooting to use in conjunction with my normal AW mags.

It’s supposed to matter. That’s why they are 12 d stages.

Once everyone has 12 rnd mags, guess what, the stages will be 14 rnds.

It’s supposed to matter. That’s why they are 12 d stages.

Once everyone has 12 rnd mags, guess what, the stages will be 14 rnds.
Literally everyone already has 12 round mags, except those that shoot factory AW/AX mags. I highly doubt MD’s are waiting for the 5 AI shooters at each match to get 12 round mags before they change things.

I’m pretty sure 12 round stages were introduced to make shooters do a mag change (in addition to ramping up the speed and stress). However this was simply countered with +2 and +4 baseplates. The real way around it is requiring a mandatory mag change on stages, which I’m fine with. All of that is up to individual MD’s though, same as with any gear restrictions that may or may not be implemented.

Literally everyone already has 12 round mags, except those that shoot factory AW/AX mags. I highly doubt MD’s are waiting for the 5 AI shooters at each match to get 12 round mags before they change things.

I’m pretty sure 12 round stages were introduced to make shooters do a mag change (in addition to ramping up the speed and stress). However this was simply countered with +2 and +4 baseplates. The real way around it is requiring a mandatory mag change on stages, which I’m fine with. All of that is up to individual MD’s though, same as with any gear restrictions that may or may not be implemented.

Many are already changing things and requiring a mag change.

Point is, chasing magazine capacity is skirting the intent. Which is to incorporate mag changes.

Many MDs simply just recreate stages without putting much though into what that stage was designed to do.

But, keep going with the gamer attitude “well the MD should have said so” until stage descriptions literally take up and entire page per stage.

@Dthomas3523 That's an issue that has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads. "Intent" vs. gaming. Match books with no restrictions vs. very specific stages and gear restrictions. Much of the new tech and gear is designed specifically with that in mind, and higher cap magazines are just one example.

It is up to the MD to determine the intent. Saying "one bag, no tripod, mag change required" is a lot different than saying "no gear restrictions." One sentence on a stage COF can clearly define the intent (at least for gear). All of the other ridiculous stuff that goes on is a whole other thing - wedging a pack under a swinging boat or prop, pre-staging 5 game changers on barricades, etc.

I don't want stage COFs to be a page long document. But at least it would minimize the ability for someone to "game" a stage and affect the way it's shot for every shooter that follows (Yeti cooler, anyone?). It hardly matters though, since I've still seen people disregard the written intent, either intentionally or unintentionally, and the RO doesn't see it or doesn't DQ them even if they do.

If you're insinuating that I have a "gamer attitude" because I'd like to own a 12-rd AW mag, then by all means go ahead and think that. I don't believe we've ever shot a match together and I don't believe you know how I shoot matches.

Many are already changing things and requiring a mag change.

Point is, chasing magazine capacity is skirting the intent. Which is to incorporate mag changes.

Many MDs simply just recreate stages without putting much though into what that stage was designed to do.

But, keep going with the gamer attitude “well the MD should have said so” until stage descriptions literally take up and entire page per stage.
So do you run two 5 round mags on 10 round stages? Or are you gaming those stages with 10 round mags? I mean, golly gee, maybe the MD forgot to mention that the 10 round stage was supposed to include a mag change!? I mean really though dude, what MD is sitting there going, "man I really want to make these guys do a mag change. I could simply put 'mag change required' in the COF.. or I could just make them 12 round stages and hope no one shows up with a 12+ round mag or 2 round holder."