• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Have you had an adjustable gas block detent fail?

atomic41

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 4, 2013
    I have a .300 BLK that suddenly started having cycling/feed issues and I'm early in diagnosing it but I think I have a couple of issues. One being at least one blown primer (AAC 110 AMAX) and the other I think is the SLR adjustable gas block. It used to run great, then just went to hell on me.

So the primer issue aside for a second, I tore everything down to give it a thorough inspection. I noticed the adjuster screw had no detent. Turn it and no clicks. So I removed the screw and there is no detent inside, just the screw. How in the heck can the detent just disappear? Can they fail and get sent through the gas system? I did not have the adjuster more than about halfway out which should be physically impossible for the detent to go downstream. I'm really scratching my head on this one.

Maybe I screwed up and turned it out too far and don't remember. Not sure but thought I would ask if anyone else has had one fail and if so, did the detent go downstream or is that impossible? Since it's missing, I can't see how big it is LOL.

Is it the Sentry 6/7/9, and if so, have you removed the leaf spring? Everything might just be carbon fouled and no longer moving, with the detent rod frozen outboard.

That was it, thanks. After reading your post I took that leaf spring off and sure enough, it was in there just seized in an outboard position. I can't even push it back in due to the carbon buildup. I'll try cleaning it up.

Reactions: msgriff
    This is why I don't like agb. They are a weak link in the system...and usually by ignorant and unskilled builders who don't know how to build a propperly gassed rifle.

You will get carbon lock up, small parts failure, erosion or blocks not propperly seated/pinned/staked.

You are much better off with a solid gas block that will not fail and you control the gas system via. Gas port size, gas tube size, adjustable carrier and buffer/spring rates. You will end up with a much more reliable and durable gun in the long run. But that takes skills, knowledge and some money. People take easy way out.

It's also much more convient and expediant to throw the adjustable carrier in an ultrasonic than break down the whole gun and clean the gas block every xxx rounds.

I should also mention that around 6-8 years ago SLR had a bunch of leaf spring failures. Wrong steel and/or temper where the leaf spring would lose tension against the detent, eventually becoming permanently bent outwards. They addressed that and sent out rebuild kits to anyone who was affected. I haven't heard of any widespread issues since 2018 or so.

I should also mention that around 6-8 years ago SLR had a bunch of leaf spring failures. Wrong steel and/or temper where the leaf spring would lose tension against the detent, eventually becoming permanently bent outwards. They addressed that and sent out rebuild kits to anyone who was affected. I haven't heard of any widespread issues since 2018 or so.

This one is that vintage and that appears to be what happened here so I will reach out to them. Thanks for that info.

Reactions: msgriff
    Have an SLR that crudded up and froze but that's it. Have yet to have a superlative arms fail.
    I had one(superlative) fire the adjusing screw into the abysis. Apparently I turned it out too far. I wasn’t ham- fisting or brute-forcing it. They’re advertised as limited so that you can’t do that, supposedly. Anyway, they replaced it no problem. Now I just try not to mess with it.