• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Heavy sand

I'm laughing at all you guys saying the beach....do you realize what heavy sand is, or are you just being smart asses. Chromite is heavy sand. 2-3 X as heavy as silica/beach sand. My rear bags (Seb bigfoot) weigh about 25 lbs.

Reactions: Maurygold
For better or worse, the majority of shooters here are focused on “practical” precision and field matches. Very few are are toting around rear bags that weigh more than a few lbs, and many are looking to go lighter- not heavier.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
For better or worse, the majority of shooters here are focused on “practical” precision and field matches. Very few are are toting around rear bags that weigh more than a few lbs, and many are looking to go lighter- not heavier.
Precisely.... we gutted out beanie babies. Put the contents in socks. Problem solved.

Sirhr

@hlee thats one thing but why would they get on this thread to blatantly talk about something they have no experience with?? That’s baffling to me and extremely unhelpful

@hlee thats one thing but why would they get on this thread to blatantly talk about something they have no experience with?? That’s baffling to me and extremely unhelpful
Myopia- vision so narrow that you can’t see that you have it...

That said, a rear bag that is 10+ lbs heavier than my match rifle is pretty baffling too.

Reactions: spife7980
Makes a lot of sense to me (my rig below). But perspective is everything

Attachments

• F5F3B5D9-B6B2-4F24-9E76-E0B272F19936.jpeg
    F5F3B5D9-B6B2-4F24-9E76-E0B272F19936.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: Joel Danielson
Makes a lot of sense to me (my rig below). But perspective is everything
Put it all in a back pack with all of you ammo, water, food, and anything else you need for the day, and then ruck it for several miles over the course of a match. There’s just not that many people shooting bench rest or “belly bench rest” on this site.

Not a challenge, except to myopia. I understand that’s not a field setup. I don’t shoot F-class. I also don’t go to F-class dedicated fora to ask about the best solution to shoot from a bouncy aluminum gate. When asking questions, know your audience. Doubling down begets exponentially snarky responses.

Well, this looks silly with the post it was in response to now deleted. Oh well. 😜

• Love
Reactions: spife7980
Not a challenge, except to myopia. I understand that’s not a field setup. I don’t shoot F-class. I also don’t go to F-class dedicated fora to ask about the best solution to shoot from a bouncy aluminum gate. When asking questions, know your audience. Doubling down begets exponentially snarky responses.

Well, this looks silly with the post it was in response to now deleted. Oh well. 😜
I wasn't trying to start a shit storm by asking the question here. I figured there were enough guys that do shoot f-class or used more stable rear bags for load development, that someone would have good suggestions. I enjoy several different disciplines of shooting, so several different bags are needed. This is for a Seb bigfoot bag which takes about 19 lbs of Chromite or Zircon. For field/practical exercise there is a Warhorse Development bag with their wiz-bang light fill that gets used.

Go to the nearest sand blasting supplier. They sell it in 100 lb. bags. Ask for the heaviest.
One of my friends uses it, your may have heard of him, Don Geraci, who was the reigning world champion BENCHREST SHOOTER for a number of years who was a bag squeezer at that time. Now he "says", he uses depleted Uranium.:oops: o_O I don't know about that but the stuff is heavier than I use, much heavier.

Reactions: Joel Danielson
If you live in a state that has Gold Mining Enthusiast Club...just ask them to save some black sands for you. Nice Iron with rounded edges...dark bag so you don't see the rust stains..but it is heavy.

However...what if you filled the bag with stainless media from a wet tumbler? That seems it would be a nice feel....and flow...and not rust.